PVP Council

Njnp

PVP Council

Hi, I’m NJNP. I’m mostly known for my team building and high level tournament play on smogon. I’ve dipped into the competitive scene here in the past and I’ve fully immersed myself into pro after some push to come back. That is the goal of this post: to improve the pvp scene of pro.

On smogon, most decisions especially competitive ones are made by a group of people. That group is called a council. That group generally is of some of the best players in their competitive format and has good knowledge on the meta-game. They proceed to make sure the metagame is in proper order and deal with problematic elements of the metagame as they appear. The council is generally known for holding suspects. The council is to see if these Pokémon are guilty of being killers of the meta or are they innocent and perfectly fine for the meta. The decision to what should be suspected is single handily up to the council but heavily influenced by the community. The council doesn’t suspect something that does not have community interest or concern. Generally before something is decided to be suspected, the council asks the community their opinions before they move forward with a decision.

I feel a council would be great for pro pvp as megas are coming and legendaries are becoming more accessible. The council will aid the community in making decisions for the betterment of pvp. I’d want the council also to aid in creating an official viability rankings for pvp. I’m not sure exactly why one hasn’t been commissioned in the past but I think it would make sense for players regarded as the best at pvp to be able to help others understand what is good in the meta-game.

I have 2 council concepts that can be decided or at least give an idea on the set up.

Concept #1:

2 CO Leaders 1 From Silver 1 From Gold

3 Council Members

5 Members In Total

Concept #2:

1 Leader Representing Both Servers

4 Council Members

5 Members In Total

I’d like to hear people’s opinions on bringing a council to pro pvp and if anyone has any questions feel free to post them below and I’ll answer them.

• Like 15

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was an idea in the past that never got totally brought to light, but now that pvp is getting some real attention it may be reasonable to go forward with this. ESP with Megas possibly coming to light and mons like greninja roaming free in ranked. It just needs some support so I 100% like and promote this post

• Like 4

4K82h71.png

+1, just need to make sure the right people are on the council.

Also, PRO needs its own council because the metagame isn't the same. On showdown you have things such as Kyurem-Black and Hoopa-Unbound and other things PRO may never have just running around the tier, causing their own influence on the metagame. It doesn't take much for a metagame to crumble, just 1 pokemon can make or break the game. For example, if Landorus-t were to disappear from gen 7 OU, the entire tier could potentially fall apart due to the amount of Pokemon it keeps in check. In PRO, I can't really think of a Pokemon that does the same, but I guess Ferrothorn is somewhat similar; being able to check a few things that could potentially be meta-breaking.

Edited by Smooge
  • Like 5

This council have to access to ingame PVP datas to see the most used PKM, the PKM with the most win, etc. It would help a lot for decision making.

I think Walross is creating a website to make this datas public, but not sure about it.

• Like 3

Server : Gold - Name : Kaminokage - Guild : FrenchConnexion

15b3f2a0801769846fa2e82efb7e6e5e.png

Ex-member of the Chaos on Silver

My personnal shop : https://tinyurl.com/y8bbuoq9

Is the game's staff willing to support a council of PvP elite making decisions that affect their own welfare and standings within the game?

In a normal game, competitive rules are laid out by a staff who aren't eligible for competitive play. Their interest is strictly in making a good and non-toxic gaming experience. In this proposal, the rule-making body is composed of players who have a vested interest in being or remaining the best. As stated, they would be picked from among the best PvP players. If those players are eligible for competitive play, we have to assume that they will make decisions with their own best interests in mind.

Who will elect these councilors? How long will a councilor be allowed to remain in the position before a new one must be cycled in? Will who's in the council at any time be public knowledge?

There's a lot of decisions that have to go into governance of any body that if made incorrectly could screw things up more than help. And these are things to consider just on setting up the group, not even on making decisions.

• Like 1

Is the game's staff willing to support a council of PvP elite making decisions that affect their own welfare and standings within the game?

In a normal game, competitive rules are laid out by a staff who aren't eligible for competitive play. Their interest is strictly in making a good and non-toxic gaming experience. In this proposal, the rule-making body is composed of players who have a vested interest in being or remaining the best. As stated, they would be picked from among the best PvP players. If those players are eligible for competitive play, we have to assume that they will make decisions with their own best interests in mind.

Who will elect these councilors? How long will a councilor be allowed to remain in the position before a new one must be cycled in? Will who's in the council at any time be public knowledge?

There's a lot of decisions that have to go into governance of any body that if made incorrectly could screw things up more than help. And these are things to consider just on setting up the group, not even on making decisions.

I would assume that the people assigned to this counsel would have vast knowledge in the pvp aspect of the game so therefore I don't think antyhting they would do would tech hurt the game. End game for Pokémon is either like I said in prev posts battle frontier/ filling the dex/ pvp now the pvp area, a lot of people have invest so much time into this game and want a well working pvp system and being like I said before pvp is finally getting the attention it needs I think it's time that we come together and clean up pvp. Having to make post after post after post and waiting several weeks thengetting a pole to possibly agree or disagree to get one Pokémon or ability banned is a bit of an annoyance. So this imo would clean everything up an make pvp how we want it *most people in pro at least* like we had to make a post to get genesect banned and gren is still in ranked and that's saying something. Unless someone steps up and takes full control of pvp and does what's right the this is the other option * you have people with far better pvp knowlage outside of staff fyi*
  • Like 2

4K82h71.png

Yes, PvP in PRO isn't really something you can avoid. After so long, you've done everything there is to do and so battling other players is kind of the end of the line. But that also means that nobody will be able to avoid the decisions that will be made by this council forever. It's not like Smogon where you can just choose not to take part in it. All of the players of this game will be beholden to the decisions made in some way. It's not about PvP knowledge. It's about setting up a proper system of governance and not just going "This is wonderful idea!" without there being a concrete idea.

Staff will have to back this council for any of their rules to go through anyway. What should really happen is that some people with a really comprehensive understanding of the competitive pokemon scene and how their meta's shift should be given a role on staff to moderate the PvP circles of the game. But in becoming staff, they become ineligible to actually play competitively in PRO.

Without staff consent this is just five guys setting up tournaments with house rules, and that happens all the time already.

• Like 1

+1 Like Smooge said, PRO's metagame is not the same as Smogon's due to the limitations we have when it comes to capturing legendary and Gen 7 Pokemon. In order to maintain a balanced metagame, this needs to happen because of new things being consistently added into the game: Megas, Legendary Pokemon, etc. Smogon is the best competitive Pokemon community out there and their system works well with a PvP council guiding them so I don't see a reason not to try it here. Making PRO better in every aspect should be the focus and a PvP council would be a great addition to make sure this happens. I'm all for both concepts provided above.

• Like 2