PRO Revolution Installer

Moonlitius

Hi All,

Since my Wife, kids, cousins and neigbor kids are all playing PRO I'm kinda of the tech support when a new update comes out. (Or when shit broke any other way).

One of the things that always happens is that when a new version comes out my WhatsApp exploded like a soccermoms group.

You can show people 100 times how to update to the new version but there are "always" some kids/people with issues.

Don't forget those who extract to the Download folder and then run a cleaner > empty download folder... "Heey Pro is no longer working".

So I have used freeware tools to write an installer / updater which I can distribute internal (through my NAS) and external for the cousins and such (through free hosting providers).

I helped quite a few dads settings this up so I thought to share it here for the people with the same problem and looking for a way to help other people.

In advance I appologise for my English since I am not an native speaker.

Please let me know when something is unclear and I will try to explain it better.

First we need:

- Advanced Installer - Free (There is a 30-day full functional trial but I will limit to the features available in the Free Version)

- The latest ZIP file from PRO (extracted) 32-bit

- A location to store the installation file (Internal a NAS or External like Github/Gdrive)

** I use the 32-bit since it works on both 32 and 64 bit however you can also make sperate installers or just use the 64-bit if all people you are helping are running 64-bit pc.

1. Installation of Advanced Installer

Download the latest Advanced Installer from https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html and install it with the default settings.

2. Open Advanced Installer and make a new Simple installer project and click the big red Create Project button.

1541959879957.png.b7eaf0a64e3966c9460688666abc5762.png

3. We start at the Product Details screen so start filling this out:

Name: Pokemon Revolution Online

Version: 18.11.11 ( Always use yy/mm/dd as a numbering for versioning so I know what day I made it, it always increments and make upgrading so much easier)

Publisher: Silph Co. (Doesn't matter, just anything goes)

All the other stuff is rather optional and just for the fun of it.

(Like I fill in the support links and such to pokemonrevolution.net)

4. Next you go to Files and Folders in the left pane called Product information.

1541960171764.png.0db9e636f92c53d1ed15a751c4175b47.png

5. Select Application Folder and click Add files

1541960303395.png.8a8d638a678e0a2634dd15a4f2d93c6e.png

6. Browse to the location where you extracted the latest client and add all files (NOT folders) from the main directory so it looks like this:

1541960531500.png.8b31281891dfa187f5209fea577c87ce.png

7. Now do the same but use the button Add folder and add the folder PROClient_Data by selecting it and use Select Folder. It should now look like this:

1541960718548.png.489d865f3f741725c11d2a65e8dfec2e.png

8. Installing in Programs Files(x86) is not of much use if we don't create shortcuts to the installed file. We will create two: one in the “Start” menu and another one on the desktop.

Start by switching back to the “Files and Folders” page.

Select the Application Folder and then PROClient.exe file by clicking on it, then click on the [ New Shortcut ] toolbar button. The “New Shortcut” dialog will appear, allowing you to customize the new shortcut.

1541960969191.png.a960cda83cee8ebaba8cb18afa4b49da.png

9. Change the shortcut name to “Pokemon Revolution” and click [ OK ]. The new shortcut will be added in the Application Shortcut Folder. That means that this shortcut will be installed in the “Start > All Programs > Product Name” menu of the Target Computer. Everything else can be left default.

1541961087920.png.9dde86872d16343c5829085390d5571d.png

10. To also create a shortcut that will be installed on the Target Computer's desktop, select the Desktop folder in the “Folders” tree and click the [ New Shortcut ] button. A file picker dialog will pop up, allowing you to select the target file of this new shortcut.

Select PROClient.exe and press [ OK ]. Press [ OK ] again in the “New Shortcut” dialog, after you've changed the shortcut name to “Pokemon Revolution”. The new shortcut will be added to the “Desktop” folder.

1541961222891.png.a7a061628ec09a1f96c6ef99201edbf9.png

Those 10 steps is all you need to make an installer for PRO. You can send this to people to install PRO like a normal program and they can remove it from Control Panel as well. It takes away the struggle of downloading from Mega/Mediafire. Unzipping and makes it alot easier to install it.

In order to create the file You click on Builds in the left pane and select an Output folder (Keep the Package type on Single MSI (Resource inside ) since this is the only option left after your trial expires)

All other settings should be left on default as well.

1541961545018.thumb.png.a0a07eda4c6a7be329e7ded386f8a942.png

Now you can click the Build button on the top left, give the installer a name (Install Pokemon Revolution or whatever) and press save. Once the build is done (depening on your PC this might take while) you can find the file on the location you choose. (Wait for the screen to say Build finished successfully and click ok).

On the location you specified you find 2 items and a folder. We need the Pokemon Revolution Installer.MSI item:

1541961912909.png.a250ba90d83de26dd4384f8a5274b30a.png

Doubleclick this item to see if the instalation is working and if there are shortcuts on the desktop and the start menu. Also check if the shortcuts are working.

Once you are certain this all works you can distribute the file to whoever you want and through what ever means you like.

I use Google Drive external and put the installer on a shared drive at home.

Also, for future upgrades save the project so you don't need to redo everything when an upgrade comes. Makes life a bit easier.

This is done through File > Save as > *location* > save.

All steps for a clean and easy installer are made. Let those people play PRO!

Now this is all fine and dandy but what if there is an upgrade?

1. First download the new version you want (32 or 64 bit) and extract it.

2. In order to upgrade the package open the saved project we made before. (It's called "project name" and has an Advanced Installer icon)

Open Advanced installer and go to File > open > browso to location where it's saved > select project name > open.

3. First things first. When making an upgrade installer make sure you increment the Version number.

This is why I use yy.mm.dd. It keeps things from breaking if you do this and there probably passed a few days since the last patch.

Incase there are multiple patches a day just add .1/.2/.3 etc after the day. (ex. 18.11.13.3)

1541963290324.png.10f5a631c37c2a373344e91bdffc8fa1.png

After you increment the version number you need to select "Generate New".

This screen comes automaticlly once you increase the number and click on another option.

1541963801065.png.870dc522cb9df2c5d9834fd68774b6bd.png

4. Since most of the things are taken care off all you need to do is go to Resources and then Files and folders and remove all files and folders from Application Folder, Start Menu and Desktop.

(Easy way is just to select the files/folders and press "DEL" or right click and then "Delete"

1541963511478.png.af9f9e4346a7afe2782640b9eb9d2bdb.png

Again don't forget to delete the shortcuts from Start Menu and/or Desktop if you made these.

5. Now select Application Folder and click Add files (Basicly we are doing all the same from step 5 from a new installation file)

1541960303395.png.8a8d638a678e0a2634dd15a4f2d93c6e.png

6. Browse to the location where you extracted the latest client and add all files (NOT folders) from the main directory so it looks kinda like this:

1541960531500.png.8b31281891dfa187f5209fea577c87ce.png

7. Now do the same but use the button Add folder and add the folder PROClient_Data by selecting it and use Select Folder. It should now look like this:

1541960718548.png.489d865f3f741725c11d2a65e8dfec2e.png

8. Installing in Programs Files(x86) is not of much use if we don't create shortcuts to the installed file. We will create two: one in the “Start” menu and another one on the desktop.

Start by switching back to the “Files and Folders” page.

Select the Application Folder and then PROClient.exe file by clicking on it, then click on the [ New Shortcut ] toolbar button. The “New Shortcut” dialog will appear, allowing you to customize the new shortcut.

1541960969191.png.a960cda83cee8ebaba8cb18afa4b49da.png

9. Change the shortcut name to “Pokemon Revolution” and click [ OK ]. The new shortcut will be added in the Application Shortcut Folder. That means that this shortcut will be installed in the “Start > All Programs > Product Name” menu of the Target Computer. Everything else can be left default.

1541961087920.png.9dde86872d16343c5829085390d5571d.png

10. To also create a shortcut that will be installed on the Target Computer's desktop, select the Desktop folder in the “Folders” tree and click the [ New Shortcut ] button. A file picker dialog will pop up, allowing you to select the target file of this new shortcut.

Select PROClient.exe and press [ OK ]. Press [ OK ] again in the “New Shortcut” dialog, after you've changed the shortcut name to “Pokemon Revolution”. The new shortcut will be added to the “Desktop” folder.

1541961222891.png.a7a061628ec09a1f96c6ef99201edbf9.png

In order to create the new update file You click on Builds in the left pane and select an Output folder (Keep the Package type on Single MSI (Resource inside ) since this is the only option left after your trial expires)

All other settings should be left on default as well.

1541961545018.thumb.png.a0a07eda4c6a7be329e7ded386f8a942.png

Now you can click the Build button on the top left, give the installer a name (Install Pokemon Revolution or whatever) and press save. Once the build is done (depening on your PC this might take while) you can find the file on the location you choose. (Wait for the screen to say Build finished successfully and click ok).

On the location you specified you find 2 items and a folder. We need the Pokemon Revolution Installer.MSI item.

It's the same as the installation file before but not it's also an update file. This means that this file can be used for fresh instalations or for people that need to install a newer version.

(No need to create a separate install file. All update files are also installation files).

Now whenever someone is in need of a new version and can't do it themselfs you can send them this file to upgrade PRO.

Automation

Now the cool part.

There are several ways to keep people running on the latest version and you sending them the updated files is one of them. But that's not automation (nor fun) so let's see what options we have.

1. The build-in function of Advanced installer.

2. Using a script internal.

3. Using a website/script for external.

1. The build-in function is only working for the first 30 days. Afterwards you need to pay so I am going to skip this.

2. Using a script internal.

Make sure you always call the build file the same (so I use Pokemon Revolution installer as a name) and put this on a network share the client can reach.

( I have a public share everyone can go In for vacation pictures and such so this is a perfect place for the Installer file).

If you name future upgrades the same and just overwrite the installer file with newer versions your life is so much easier.

Now we make an installer script that people can use to update the client and/or run at boot.

So step-by-step.

1. Put the build file on a network share. I assume in this manual it's on 192.168.0.100 and that this is a public share everyone can reach without credentials.

1.b Test the installer from a network share.

2. Open Notepad

3. Add the following line:

"\\192.168.0.100\folder-where-it-is\Pokemon Revolution Installer.msi" /qb

4. Select File > Save as and save this file as PROUpdate.cmd. Don't forget to change the Fyle type at save as from *.txt to All File types. (this is under the name space)

4.b Test the file

Now there are several ways to go here.

1. You can put this CMD on everyones desktop and tell them to run the cmd once you made a new update

2. You can put this CMD in the Installer so it get's put in the application folder and/or make shortcuts in the start menu and/or desktop.

3. You can put the CMD file in the windows startup folder so it checks if there is a new version and runs an update if there is at boot from the pc.

(So you just tell them to reboot the pc)

4. Make an scheduled windows task to check at intervals (advanced, I will cover if people are interested in this)

1. You can put this CMD on everyones desktop and tell them to run the cmd once you made a new update

Pretty simple, you can do this :P

2. You can put this CMD in the Installer so it get's put in the application folder and/or make shortcuts in the start menu and/or desktop.

- Open Advanced installer and go to File > open > browso to location where it's saved > select project name > open.

- Go to Resources and Files and Folders

- Go to Application Folder

- Add the CMD the same you add the the other files to this installer. (Add files, Browse, Select)

( I named the CMD Pokemon Revolution Update so it's clear what it is)

1541965633300.png.1c54dcb208c16b568de8e1014df7d6a7.png

- Select the Desktop Folder click "new shortcut" on the toolbar

1541965751446.png.eac0d470ba0cccb00edd55bd6811fcb4.png

- Select "Run as Administrator" and Select a new Icon (icon is optional). Then click ok.

1541965846626.png.c09aef1915ce0e6e8f361a5aef183e07.png

- Repeat the steps for Start Menu if desired.

- Build the new installer and use this.

Now you see that besides the normal icon there is also an updater icon which updates the installer from your network location to the newest version.

Using a website/script for external patching/installing

Basiclly the same as internal only we are using powershell instead of CMD and an external address instead of an internal one.

Also you can just use a free hosting provider and upload updated installers/patcher there and let people run them from this website.

The powershell script used for this is:

$url = "https://www.domain.com/folder-if-there/Pokemon Revolution Installer.msi"
$outpath = "$PSScriptRoot/Pokemon Revolution Installer.msi"
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $url -OutFile $outpath

$args = @(/qb)
Start-Process -Filepath "$PSScriptRoot/Pokemon Revolution Installer" -ArgumentList $args

Same as with the CMD before you put this Script as a "Application" in the installer and run it.

I kept this part "vague" on purpose since I don't want to show my way of hosting installers/updates and become an un-official desitribitur and get the Pokemon Staff chasing me with pitchforks :)

Basicly you need to setup an online space where you can upload the .msi and future updates and direct link to it so the "Updater" can fetch and run it.

Same applies here. You can make a manual update update button (recommended) or put the script in the startup folder of people.

I'm going to fix the markup on this tomorrow since I'm tired so please let me know what I missed/isn't clear so I can fix this.

And, if allowed, will make the same writeup for hosting APK files with upgrades and how to run PRO on iOS and Vita.

1541961066722.png.04a848cbcb7cc0d775b96e2bea96c73e.png

Edited by Moonlitius
  • Like 7

Really nice and well done but sadly not needed as the next client update will include an auto delta updater.

Good job though.

That's not sadly at all as this makes me very happy :)

This works but still requires me to do some work so i'm happy with this news!

It might help people with something else tho so i'll just let this stay here :)

Does this new version also include iOS and PSVita now or should I start on making the guides on how to do this?

I read somewhere that there where no intentions on running it as an iOS app from the PRO team?

I am running it on my iPad and Vita for a while now so if there comes an "official" version for those at well I can go on a holliday :P

Hey,

For a numerous number of reasons, this game won't run on iOS any soon.

But we really appreciate the effort you putted to write all this and specially, the free will to share this to the entire community.

It is a very nice action.

Also, in case you didn't see, we are currently recruiting staff members for the scripting team. Take a look on the python API documentation and, in case you want to take a shot, apply for it.

http://docs.pokemonrevolution.net/ https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/topic/102547-url

• Developer
That's not sadly at all as this makes me very happy :)

This works but still requires me to do some work so i'm happy with this news!

It might help people with something else tho so i'll just let this stay here :)

Does this new version also include iOS and PSVita now or should I start on making the guides on how to do this?

I read somewhere that there where no intentions on running it as an iOS app from the PRO team?

I am running it on my iPad and Vita for a while now so if there comes an "official" version for those at well I can go on a holliday :P

If you know how this works on a non-jailbreaked version I am all ear.

• Developer
I don't have a Jailbroken iPhone only an old iPad and an iPhone 6 but it works on both of them.

Yeah, that's cause you used your developer account on your iOS devices and created developer builds but this won't work for other users. Sadly not that easy otherwise we already would have done it.

I don't own a developer account for either sony or iOS. I use the same technique I use to run PRO in a webbrowser on HTML5 for both iOS and PSVita. And I tested it with my cousins and by sending them them the link they can run it without any developer thingys needed :)

I use the webbrowser method for linux and/or legacy devices (old phones/PSP/Chromebooks) because what use has my chromebook if I can't run PRO :D