Fast levels w/o false swipe, priority moves, sturdy or focus sash

Cerisine

Updated 20/12/2021 for toxic behaviour :worryyes:

It might be best if somebody adds this to their leveling guide to avoid clutter, so I'm putting this in WIP for now.

I've been using this method for over a year, but even after so long it doesn't seem as though the method is well-publicized. So, I decided to make a short guide myself.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuijK_ZA1mw

tl;dr: Leech Seed, Leech Seed, Leech Seed, Toxic, Toxic, Memento, swap to your low-level pokemon.

Memento method

All you need: Jumpluff or Whimsicott. You can probably also use Lilligant and Cherrim if you teach them Healing Wish rather than Memento.

- Toxic

- Leech Seed

- Memento/Healing Wish

Execution is simple, just note that you can't use any damaging skills if you want the HP to be accurate, so spam Leech Seed or a non-damaging move (e.g. synthesis) until turn 4;

Turn 1: Leech Seed deals 2/16 HP. (14/16 remaining)

Turn 2: Leech Seed deals 2/16 HP. (12/16 remaining)

Turn 3: Leech Seed deals 2/16 HP. (10/16 remaining)

Turn 4: Toxic deals 1/16 HP. (9/16 remaining)

Leech Seed deals 2/16 HP. (7/16 remaining)

Turn 5: Toxic deals 2/16 HP. (5/16 remaining)

Leech Seed deals 2/16 HP. (3/16 remaining)

Turn 6: Memento faints your Jumpluff.
Toxic deals 3/16 HP. (0/16 remaining)

At this point, the enemy pokemon will usually have <15 HP remaining because most pokemon won't have HP divisible by 16.

Switch in your low-level pokemon.

Leech Seed will immediately take the remaining HP, fainting the enemy pokemon before it has a chance to attack.

This works because the game currently recognizes the switch following Memento as part of the 'same turn' that Memento was used, instead of starting a new turn.

Advantages:

- Doesn't involve focus sash, false swipe, or sturdy.

- Importantly, doesn't rely on priority moves, making it much easier to train many low-level pokemon. Depending on your EXP buffs and your luck with encounters, it takes less than an hour to get Magikarp from 5 to 95.

Disadvantages:

- Doesn't work against poison or grass-types, since they'll be immune to Toxic/Leech Seed.

- Jumpluff has poor defensive typing/defensive stats and takes a lot of damage from rock/flying/poison, making Cerulean Cave land difficult when compared to water. Lilligant/Cherrim/Whimsicott won't have problems with rock, but Jumpluff is way more accessible to most players.

- Your Jumpluff are going to hate you.

Edited by Cerisine
Updated
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't really been playing lately so I hadn't noticed, but a while ago they changed the ticks for 'badly poisoned' so that the previous method no longer worked. All that changes is that you use leech seed on the 4th turn instead of the 2nd turn now; everything else is the same.

(updated OP to reflect this)

• 3 months later...

Wow, this is ridiculously easy and inexpensive. I've been using it on the water in Mt. Silver. It's a good place because the Pokecenter if very close (and I still don't have access to Celurean Cave).

Just spam toxic for three turns, use leech seed next and then memento = ezy xp.

The only downside is that in like 2 out of 10 times leech seed will miss somehow, but whatever, I don't care.

Thank you very much!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Popped back in to update it again - Leech Seed turn 1, Toxic turn 4, Memento turn 6.

The methodology still works for the most part. It does take one extra turn, and they fixed with leech seed accuracy so that it's possible to miss now, so it's a little more unreliable than before.

Note that Misdreavus can do the same thing in just 3 turns with Perish Song -> Perish Song -> Memento. In this case, it works against any enemy typing and can't miss, and all you need to invest is a few levels and 15k to egg tutor Memento.

Edited by Cerisine