Chat Rule Change: No Begging

Teerav

I would like there to be a new rule under "Chat Rules" that makes the action of asking for free things via PM report-able. Otherwise known as "begging."

THE STORY

We've all have that day when we wake up with time to spare and want to log into PRO for a nice day of relaxation. "Today I'm going to farm a Christmas Mareep! I hope a guild mate is online so I have someone to socialize and talk with!" It also crosses our mind that we want to sell some pokemon in trade chat. So as we brew our morning coffee, we think about what pokemon we could do without and might be able to make a few pokedollars. We turn on the computer and place our cup of coffee on the desk. PRO just had an update! We think to ourselves, "Staff works so hard to keep this game enjoyable. I just love this game. :)" We are finally in game and waltz over to our PC to grab a modest sync and false swiper.

A message pops up! "Oh, who could this be," we ask ourselves.

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546100153708.png.25cd82b15c2e003af764978eb1486be7.png

Ah, a kind soul in need of some help. We are having a good day, let's ask what they need help with.

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546100197438.png.125935c758795353d5b2196440982dc2.png

We don't really like giving out money for free, but we don't want to be rude. Let's tell them sorry that we cannot help them and move on. Our friends are waiting for us to hunt! And we still need to select those pokemon we want to sell in trade chat. Another message pops up!

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546100246768.png.0eedb5a2c8d54f23ee0e401193bc420c.png

The same person... we ponder as what is that is they desperately need the money for. Regardless, we do not give money for free to people we do not know. We kindly reject them and move on.

We have our syncs and pokemon ready to sell in our party and meet up with some friends to hunt that elusive Christmas Mareep! After some time, we finally sell a pokemon we have been posting in trade chat. We are so happy we rush to the PC to meet our buyer. They are waiting for us and we happily make the trade. As we are browsing for more pokemon to sell, a new message pops up.

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546100311415.png.56afa86a4fd78925964bfa744f9f037b.png

It is the same strange that was asking for money... We thought we told this person that we do not give things for free. Regardless, we tell them no and hope they understand. However, they do not seem to understand...

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546100365125.png.9873d6e02c740fbd86fc74df5c0ad0d4.png

Now it is getting annoying. Twice we have told this individual that we do not give things for free and they continue to harass us. Feeling frustrated, we think about what we can do. We can ignore this player by typing "/ignore playername" into the chat. Yeah, we can do that. This way we can continue to farm and sell pokemon without fear of being harassed by this player.

After some time, another sell! Amazing, let's return to the PC and sell our pokemon. However, as soon as we enter the pokemon center, we are met with a new message.

[spoiler=Message From Stranger]1546101176866.png.b45cb772d9e54fe9e780719668a2edd9.png

"No!" We scream to our self. "Not this again." We kindly reject their request and try to move on with our game play. However, after leaving the MSG, the new stranger messages us again insisting me give them money! We think about what we can do. We can ignore this player as well, yeah. But what if another person tries to do it? We hate getting harassed by people for free things. Can we report these people so they will stop? Our logic is simple for reporting them. They are harassing us. We will compile lots of messages from people like this and report them all in once.

Some time goes by and we finally get a response.

[spoiler=Message From Staff]1546101618312.png.d845df148323fd395c27d4c534913d92.png

It seems we are out of luck. We have no choice but to turn off our PMs while we play PRO because of this form of harassment. We cannot post in trade chat because it requires us to keep our PMs on. And we cannot socialize with everyone else because we fear being harassed by beggers. Our experience playing PRO has diminished and maybe tomorrow we will not even play.

RESPONSES TO ARGUMENTS AGAINST IMPLEMENTING THIS RULE

• Just /ignore this person.
    • Logging out resets this feature. It is not possible to remember all the people to /ignore each time you relog and it is not fun.
    • This creates an inconvenience for a player in a negative away.

[*]What if they really need the help?

• There is a "Help" channel in game. There are rules to prevent staff from getting individual PMs for help based on similar reasons. The same should apply here. If someone needs help, its best they ask in a public area in case others have the same question or concern.
    • Asking for money or free pokemon is not the same as asking for help or a favor.

[*]This is not a form of harassment.

• It is. No one should be pressured into giving free things to other players. This creates a negative stigma and general unwillingness to continue playing after being asked for free things.

• Like 9
E6W75Tu.png

speaking of chat rules.. I think it's time to change the "nature/moveset/rate/pc belong to all chat" thing.

many reason.

1- people in all chat gets both ignored or trolled.

2- every new people keep asking them in Help Chat because it makes more sense. no matter how much people get muted, those question get asked always there.

3- there are not really much spam from them, and not many story related question. Also, they don't get ignored anyway.

4- they can get proper answers from people who don't troll them.

5- less job for mods, they will not have to spend hours in help chat writing "nature/rate belong to all chat". It's time wasted for them and for people who need helps.

6- it's really odd and weird to see people getting muted because they are helping in help chat...

Honestly a lot of the rules need to get checked.

I am always helping new people out of they PM me unless they ask for free pokes or money. Even when you give them what they want they will only see it as an easy method to make money and won't be able to play the game properly.

It's all about grinding and even when it's a small grind for them to get free pokemons or money you take the aspect away where they are forced to hunt for money.

• Like 1

I don't see a point to changing this. If it gets to the point where it is harassment, it falls under the harassment rule. The vast majority of these people mean no harm and leave you alone if you politely inform them that you cannot / will not help them. At worst, they're just kids - no need to sanction them.

Fu2zc9T.jpg

Thanks to MadFrost for the signature!

In mi oppinion i like the idea, but i think punish people who ask you for help i dont think is good idea, i always get pm for trade pokemons to get evolve, and i think its ok if you think that person dont gonna scam you, but when they ask you for money i really hate that, they can ask you for 3k, to other guy for other 3k, 3k+3k+3k+3k+3k and they will get a lot of money for that i think can be punished because that is scam in my oppinion because you beg for money when you have money and you only want more money begging and not working. (that is my oppinion.)

Agresivity.

Sin_titulo-3.png

• 3 weeks later...

+1. I think another way of solving this could be adding a permanent block button in game (with the option to unblock and having a block list available for view) so you wouldn't have a bunch of annoying people spam pming you in game like I used to have when I played. But yeah a rule that can get those beggars chat restricted for a while would be nice, this goes for asking for money and other things in help chat/all chat as well in my opinion. Help chat is there to give and recieve advice, not to ask strangers for free currency.

poppy.png

ooM1kqT