PvP - Turn timer discussion

Qeight

What should the round timer be in ranked PvP?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What should the round timer be in ranked PvP?

• 90 seconds (current)
    • 75 seconds
    • 60 seconds
    • 45 seconds

90 seconds is plenty of time till pro figures out how to program a timer like showdowns. Showdowns time works do well because of its reducing time limit if you take a while to make a move. I dont think 60 seconds is enough time to quickly calc damage. I would like to implement something. Whenever you make a move and your opponent is still thinking I would like to see the timer instead of the "waiting for opponent" text that appears.

20210516_215416.gif.0f5637474a7259a9f90d53025e5a8a7b.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 seconds is reasonable in my opinion.

I just go with my gut feeling with regards to opponent switches but I have damage calculator with my own Pokemon pre-saved in the background and it doesn't take a long time to put in opponent's Pokemon and see which move is best. Some people are talking about trying to figure out which exact set/spread your opponent might be using which supposedly takes a long time. Allow me to demonstrate how much effort is required in such circumstances.

*Click* (Scarf Tyranitar set picked in dropdown menu) *Click* (Assault Vest Tyranitar set picked in dropdown menu)

Yeah, it really takes that long folks. You don't need to be a mind reader and know exactly what your opponent is doing. When it comes to calculations you just need to have a general idea of ranges and visually determine how much HP bar % the opponent has left.

Usually I make my move when the current timer is halfway when I stop to calculate. Otherwise it's even faster than that.

If we're going to stay with a fixed timer per round, let's keep it high enough for all the reasons Xylos outlined. It should be shortened only if something like Teerav explained can be implemented. I've only had a problem with someone time stalling once, and that was after a server reboot was anounced. I realize that this relies on being able to report abuses, which has be difficult sometimes.

If I can add something to the wish list: could you let us not cancel the chosen action, but somehow repick? If the opponent hasn't made their move, and we change our mind, it would be nice to be able to change the play.

• Like 1

if you decide to forgive time stallers make it 30 seconds so that a 30 minutes long matches take 15 minutes instead etc i think 30 seconds is fair and there is enough time to think

since 45 seconds is minimum im fine with that i just prefer short turns so that games don't feel annoyingly long

Edited by Bluegg

Imo 90sec is perfect it comes really handy while calculating possible KOs . Not only this but thinking of coming mons and thinking of what move to go for next. At times you encounter a Pokemon you haven't battle against before so you need time to check Dex,stats, et.c. . Yes, I know it will give time stallers free time to stall but you can't spoil out thinking time for punishing them rather it will be punishment to us.

Being able to check fast while you pvp stats/calculator and think ahead of your opponent is called pvp skill the more time you have to play the more wasted this skill goes. You may know the OU blitz existing in sd with extremely low time per turn i think 30sec but as i tested it seems way too good because it feels like a real battle when it goes on that pace. 45-60 seconds would be perfect for a start

gifeditor_20180101_132119.gif

For me should be 90 seconds but timer is more quickly if you take so many time for example if you opponent play at 55 seconds, next round he have 90 seconds but if he play at 25 seconds, next turn should be at 50 seconds because of slow play.