Newbie Guide: How to beat Kanto - Guide in progress

Bhimoso

@Bhimoso Amazing, thanks very much for explaining!

Totally unrelated question, but I'm struggling a bit to understand the EXP mechanic. Is it that you earn more EXP if the fight goes over a certain number of rounds/attacking moves? I keep seeing things on the False Swipe 'method' for gaining EXP, on what basis does that work?

@Deepea

I'll try explaining it from my own experience because I do not personally know the formula but have done multiple guides in EXP training:

The EXP you gain is related to your pokemon's level and the enemy pokemon's level.

If your pokemon is level 10 and the enemy is level 50 and you defeat them, you will gain massive amounts of experience.

If yours is 50 and theirs is 10, you will gain barely anything.

The MAX EXP you can get in a single fight is capped to 150k EXP. If this cap did not exist, due to the formula above, you could level up from 10 to 100 in a single battle.

Spending more time in a fight does not give you extra EXP. it will always be the same no matter the amount of turns.

Defeating a pokemon without switching to any other pokemon in battle will grant you the full massive amount of experience.

Switch training makes it so that the exp you will gain is divided first by 2 (since it's two pokemon), and then it's somehow divided by even more. However, weird things will happen:

-If only 1 pokemon has participated in the battle, you will gain massive experience.

-If 2 pokemon have participated in the battle and both pokemon are NOT fainted when the fight ends, the experience will be split among them in a super reduced number.

-If 2 pokemon have participated in battle but only one of them is alive (not fainted) at the end of battle, the alive pokemon will take all the experience for some reason, not split experience. This is what is used when False Swiping, we allow the False Swiper to be fainted on purpose so that the 1st pokemon receives all the experience.

-If 3 or more pokemon have participated in battle, no matter the amount of pokemon fainting in this situation or no matter the amount of pokemon being alive at the end of the fight, this seems to reduce the EXP gained massively. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

On 9/29/2021 at 10:57 PM, Deepea said:

Thanks so much, that's really really helpful!

Now I just need to level up my party to try and beat Giovanni's insane Mewtwo!

Get a Sturdy Magnemite and let it use Thunderwave on the Mewtwo. Or even better: train a Sturdy Magnemite and evo it to Magnezone, go to the relearner to teach it Mirror Coat and let Mewtwo oneshot itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. Thanks for the guide. i have few questions.

Is there a reason you mention that Headbutt and Thief should be preferably on Nidoran M? I already gave him Thief but now I dont know, if it wount damage his lvling ability.

Also if I got Nidoran M with Hustle but Lax nature. Will it be still viable? The IVs also go more in deff. Only 12 ATK and 16 SPATK.

Should I care about Natures during early leveling and story? I already spent hours and more then 10k on pokeballs, just to get the natures you said we should get.

Thx

Edited by Kinkofbubu

• 4 weeks later...

i really liked this guide, helped me a lot. the only difficulty i had was the natures. i mean, should i keep buying pokeballs until i catch the right one or there is "acceptable" ones? It was painful catching the nidorans because of this T-T

will there be a update? 🙏🏻

@Kinkofbubu

I recommend Nidoran M basically because it can learn multiple TMs and HMs and it's also a great offensive pokemon. While natures are often not looked for in story, getting a good one will make you level up several times easier and faster and you will not spend extra hours grinding for a single choke point (like an Elite 4 battle)

@Kadaki

There will be updates indeed. I'm currently working on other guides at the same time (and playing the game). I normally recommend going for the best possible natures instead of settling for garbage. Remember once you get to Victory Road all wild pokemon will give you 200 to 300 pokedollars per fight atleast, so every fight will basically be a free Pokeball.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

• 2 weeks later...