PvP Timer Change - Give us your opinion!

Eaty

-1. In this game you have to consider which sets the opponent is playing,meaning which moves, which EV spread, which item, and no one is able to do that in 15 seconds. You can't even see the data during the battle meaning that you have to memorize almost everything or write it down, which requires time.

I also hate stall teams but force it to disappear with 5 minutes overall sounds just unfair to stall players.

Each turn needs at least 30 seconds. Some plays are obvious and can done in 3 seconds, but when during a battle you're in a bad position you need time.

Showdown timer works very well and can be an inspiration to the one in PRO.

Edited by LeRoiDoryphore
  • Like 4

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Its cool that you generally want to adjust the battle timer in some way.

15 seconds per move is waaay to hard.

In 15 secs I maybe have calced the dmg roll, and that only with preperations in the calc.

Even if you dont calc, in 15 secs you can't think about every possible (good) move you or your opponent could do, at least not when you are a casual ranked player and not one of those who play their teams since 3 seasons and 100 games per season.

Imagine you are testing a new team.

This is like speed chess.

The current timer time is not bad generally. I would only decrease the time when you pass 75% of the timer for 2 times for example. Decrease it again after 75% [...]

For some people it is timestalling when you need 30 seconds for a move... Bs

Of course I'm talking to myself, sometimes I have to talk with an intelligent person.

rsz_62121-spirited-away-spirited-away-wallpaper.jpg.22bf8ec0e46dcc230985953ff28f41ce.jpg

Picture

TP4L

If two people using stall battle might gose 200+ move I assume it will take 5mins so they won't be able to finish their game but will eventually run out of time which won't be fair of they both move fast and the person lost due to time might be winning the game.

I hope I am understanding the timer correctly : You get 5 mins to use however you want and then after these 5 mins are over, after using them in various turns during the battle. Now, the player only has 15 secs every turn where he might have to do some calculations, tricky double-switches or predictions which take significant amount of thinking of various scenarios?

I think either the 15 secs need to be increases to 30-40 secs or there needs to be another time-pool where the time which you didn't use out of 15 secs get saved to provide the player more time where he might need it ( something like showdown).

ezgif-7-343dbc236acb.png

-1, as some ppl already mentioned 15s is too less, if in case 2 good players are in a battle and are using a balance or maybe even a stall team, their matches can go for like 30mins+ and i don't think you can really make good decisions in such a heated match so quickly, it's not just about "clicking" on moves, there's a lot of stuff that comes into play which is impossible in 15s.

The concept is fine, just increase 15s to 30s-40s at least

Yeah, sorry, I don't agree with this. As a consistent PVP player, 15 seconds sounds way too short for most games. What people don't understand is that it can take a minimum of 30-40 seconds to do damage calcs and calcing a move can easily be a deciding factor in games. You also have to factor in people weighing out their options, which can also take up to 30-40 seconds per turn. So many people complain about the timer being too long, yet the 100 seconds we have on PRO are nothing compared to the 270-second timer on Pokemon Showdown. You have to understand-- just because a person is taking time with their moves, they are not necessarily time-stalling you. I've also seen many people complain about how if someone is using a stall team, they are automatically time-stalling, which is flat-out ridiculous. That is the entire point of a stall team: to stall the opponent.

Personally, I like the current timer, it isn't too long or short in my opinion.

I understand people want faster games, but the harsh reality is that this will not always be the case, especially in intense matches versus good opponents.

Edited by c0mp
  • Like 7

+1.

It is really hard to play PvP when you don't have that much free time, since every battle turns into a time stall and takes around 20-30 mins.

At first, 5 minutes are more than enough to make your choices in a battle, just at the beginning, if you need more time, you're doing something wrong. After these 5 minutes end, you have 15 seconds every turn, which means, even if you take your 5 minutes to think on your overall strategy, you will still have 15 seconds to continue battling, which i strongly disagree on this, i'd really eliminate the 15 seconds gift and just make them lose by time out.

G77PrhV.png