PvP Timer Change - Give us your opinion!

Eaty

Holà,

Well, I'm only going to talk about the second walross proposal, because the first one seems ridiculous for reasons very well explained by Joro.

PRO isn't showdown, and I hope, will never be. The second proposal is based on showdown current timer.

Is the current timer on showdown good ? No, from my point of view it's just a way to add more pressure to the player and it promotes him to make some mistakes due to the time remaining.

Is the current showdown's timer adapted to PRO players ? If i'm refering to the battles i've played/watched during the ladder tournament which is PRO meta on showdown, most of the time the timer is off while the battle.

So I suggest you learn from showdown's mistakes, and this said, I give you my suggestion:

We have a time reserve that can never exceed 180 seconds.

At the start of each turn, 30 seconds are given to both player to play.

First case: If the player plays before the 15 first seconds have elapsed, its reserve will be rewarded by (15 - the number of seconds elapsed) however it must be taken into account that the reserve cannot exceed 180seconds.

Second case: If the player plays between the 15th and 30th seconds, its reserve will not be rewarded, but it will not be decreased too, nothing will change.

Third case: If the player plays after the 30th seconds, the extra time will begin to be decreased, and if the player accesses his extra time when the reserve = 0, he loses the match.

That's in my opinion the best way for a balanced timer. Of course, it might needs some extra information printed on the battle UI, like the reserve and the current time.

Fum.

• Like 3

pro_banneer.png.f289a7c52f84f608823137a123b0f8e6.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Nobody proposed 5secs...35secs is more than enough...also i am going to repeat myself, there is no reason to overthink your choice...making the same choice in same cases can lead to different results...decide quickly and play...the number of games that overthinking paid off and helped you to win are about the same that destroyed you and cost the game...so in overall overthinking has no impact in your performance...it just breaks opponents nerves...

Wow. You're basically saying that players should not think. No, most plays can't be done in 5 seconds. You need to think, and sometimes to do the calcs, otherwise you can lose a crucial turn, or your win condition pokemon. It's better to overthink than just clicking in 5 seconds.

I agree with the new idea.

I disagree with the timer change

15 secs is too short for pvp players since in some occasions, damage calculations are needed to be made and pvp players think before they do each moves

And the 5 min total time is weird as well since how do u determine who wins after 5 minutes., more pokemon left is the winner? But it doesnt make sense since everything can happen in a pokemon pvp game. So i totally disagree with the timer change.

If you are so insecure player and you need a calculator for every move it’s your own fault .The battles should be shorter , I can’t spent 20 mins for 1 battle when I have 1 hour to play the game

• Like 1

I would agree if the game was just clicking hyper beam and winning speed ties. That's not the case. It takes time to set up strategy, guess the opponent's sets, do calculations and think about the right play to do considering a roll, or predicting a double switch.

Actually, the strategy should be set up at the time you are building your team, thinking about the right play shouldn't take too long if you know how your team works and how it interacts with the opponent's team. IMO, 5 mins is more than enough to set up your battle strategy (since every check for your team should be considered at the moment of its build), everything else should not have problems with 15 seconds. Atleast i wouldn't calculate the damage on each battle, neither stats, i know garchomp max spd is 333, since it's a meta pokemon and it should be considered, i don't need to calculate it.

• Like 1
G77PrhV.png

that would be good tbh and also i would like to suggest that at the start of battle when other person dont pick there pokemon and time runs out both get a lose on the record where i think the person that doesnt ready up should get a lose only

Actually, the strategy should be set up at the time you are building your team, thinking about the right play shouldn't take too long if you know how your team works and how it interacts with the opponent's team. IMO, 5 mins is more than enough to set up your battle strategy (since every check for your team should be considered at the moment of its build), everything else should not have problems with 15 seconds. Atleast i wouldn't calculate the damage on each battle, neither stats, i know garchomp max spd is 333, since it's a meta pokemon and it should be considered, i don't need to calculate it.

Unless you're playing Aurora Veil (RIP Baton Pass) or other one-dimensional hyper-offense builds, this is utterly and dangerously untrue. Unless your team is so aggressive that your gameplan is the same every game (just kill everything lol), regardless of your opponent's decisions, you have to interact with your opponent. This renders it necessary to adjust your strategy in response to your opponent, which usually means calculating lines to a depth of at least 3 turns - easily taking at least 30 seconds to consider just reasonable options.

• Like 1

Fu2zc9T.jpg

Thanks to MadFrost for the signature!

Just make it an increment time like chess and showdown, you get 5-15 secs back per move, and your time caps at 3 mins so that someone can't time stall for like 20 hours if they build up enough time. This way you can still think for as long as normal on turns that are important while not having it ruin you later in the match if you need another turn to think.