Story Writer Recruitment

Shinohara

• Administrator

storywrit.png

What is the role of a Story Writer?

In Pokemon Revolution Online, the role of a Story Writer is to shape the narrative aspect of the game by creating stories for main quests and story-based side quests. They will also have to write all dialogues that will support these quests. It is his responsibility to make the stories as interesting as possible while ensuring that all stories and characters remain faithful to the original lore. Furthermore, stories and characters must also be consistent with other events that may occur in the world of PRO.

It is essential that a Story Writer possesses collaboration skills. This include being able to maintain proper communication with the other Content Staff Teams. A story writer must also possess dedication, creativity, and the ability to research the material needed to work. For example, if a quest would be based on a specific period, the story writer must be sure to research and gather information regarding that period in order to apply them later onto his work.

Requirements

Even if you don't meet the requirements, small exceptions (age included) may be made if the rest of your application is promising.

(Mandatory) requirements must be met in order to apply.

• At least all the regions played
  • Able to dedicate yourself to staff work and deliver efficiently.
  • 18 or older.
  • Lot of knowledge about Pokemon Lore (Mandatory)
  • Can understand and speak English at an advanced/fluent level. (Mandatory)
  • Advanced Writing Skill Level (Mandatory)

What we look for in applicants

• Strong communication.
  • Open-mindedness.
  • A positive attitude.
  • Good organisation skills.
  • Creativity
  • Able to work in a team.
  • Can work under pressure.
  • Can commit at least 1 hour per day to staff duties.

Application

The application form is below. Please fill it in and submit it as a new topic HERE(Click here)

General Questions

1. What is your name, age and gender?

2. What country/ state do you live in and what is your timezone? (GMT)

3. Do you attend any work or education?

4. Describe yourself.

5. In PRO, what are you most passionate about? Hunting, PvP, trading, etc.

6A. Have you ever been banned?

6B. If applicable, what was the reason for the ban and have you learned anything from that experience?

7. If you could sit down with any member of staff and suggest one thing for the game, what would you ask for? Give an explanation to your suggestion.

8A. Have you had any interactions with staff in-game?

8B. If yes, describe what happened and your impressions of staff after that interaction.

9. Why do you want to join the staff team?

10. If you were an animal, which would you be and why?

Story-Writer Role Questions

You can do researches for the following questions, as researching the material needed to work is an important part of a Story Writer.

1. Do you have any past experience in story-writing? If yes, please show one of your work

2. Create a character that lives in the universe of Pokemon Revolution Online. Describe their personality and ambitions. Also tell us what is the story of that character and what have they gone through to arrive where they are in the present. This character will be reused during the workshop, so make sure it is as much detailed as possible.

Here below an example of a character creation. The length doesn't necessarily be the same, but must be similar to this for both personality and story.

[spoiler=EXAMPLE OF A CHARACTER CREATION]

Priscillia is a girl that is mute from birth. Her unability to speak has greatly affected her personality, having trouble to approach other people, as well as having grown dependant to her twin brother, Dimitri, who has always been able to read her mind easily and speak up for her. However, ever since her brother has went to his Pokemon journey, Priscillia has been giving an effort at trying to stand up for herself. Knowing that most people do not understand sign language, she always try to communicate with gestures first.

Priscillia is smart and very diligent with what she seeks to do; however she is very stubborn and it takes a lot to change her mind. She does not accept her mistakes very easily, and often assumes that the problem is in others. Despite that, she always remains calm and ready to help if it's something she believes she can do.

As a way to express herself, Priscillia has taken a liking to art, and she can often be seen drawing pictures or playing her transverse flute. As a Pokemon trainer, she also uses her flute to give orders to her Pokemon during battles. She can always be seen with her Swablu, who has been with her since her childhood, and now also helps with training her new Pokemon to understand orders from her flute.

Having grown in a rather small town, she isn't too aware of the possibilities, and is still undecisive about what she can do in her future. Although she always dreamed of embarking in a Pokemon journey and exploring all kind of sceneries, she embarked into one with the main reason of exploring these possibilities, and finding something she would like to do.

-[/hr]

Dimitri: « Sis, what do you want to do in the future? »

Dimitri stood at the doorway, checking one final time the content of his backpack. I lowered my head, unable to give an answer. Dimitri closed his backpack and looked at me while sliding his arm into its straps.

Dimitri: « As long as you haven't decided why you want to go on a journey, we can't go together. You need to find your own goal before going on a journey. When you have found your goal, I'll be glad to walk by your side again! »

Dimitri's Noibat hoped onto his shoulder as he turned away.

Dimitri: « Well then, it's time for me to go. Farewell sis, mother! »

Mother: « Take care. And don't forget to eat 3 meals a day! »

Dimitri: « I know, I know! »

He exited the house, waving his arm. But I couldn't wave back at him. Seeing him leave out of my life was too much of a shock to me. But as much as I hate to admit it... He was right. As long as I was with him, I would only live the present moment, never thinking about my future. And whenever I was unable to convey my thoughts, I always relied too much on him.

I spent the next week just sitting outside and looking at what others were doing, trying to find something I could be doing in my future. But nothing seemed to interest me. Some of the villagers tried to talk to me, but I was too flustered to be able to communicate anything, and in the end, they couldn't understand without seeing my mother. That was really pathetic...

One time, even a traveler came to see me. I must have really stood out with my gloomy expression...

Traveler: « What's the matter, staring at people like a Xatu looking at the sun? »

What even is a Xatu? I was not even in the mood of trying to communicate. The traveler, puzzled by my lack of response, took out one of her Pokeballs, releasing a Pokemon that looked like a woman with green hair. After a few head gestures headed at her Pokemon, she spoke up again.

Traveler: « I see, so this is what has been troubling you. I must have been fated to come here for you! »

Why was she concluding things by herself? I started thinking she might have been a weirdo.

Traveler: « Let me introduce myself. I am Tara, a travelling Fortune Teller. It seems you are searching for your future profession? One that you could do even with your disorder? Perhaps you would like me to read your future? »

Life came back into my eyes, as I looked back at her with unbelief. Even Dimitri wouldn't be able to read my mind that easily. And she would be able to tell me what I would do in my future? Without hesitation, I nodded.

Tara: « That expression fits you much better! Okay, give me your hand. »

I gave my hand, which both Tara and her Pokemon took together. Both she and her Pokemon closed their eyes, and after a moment of concentration, they reopened their eyes and released my hand.

Tara: « Hmm... I think an advice is more appropriate to your situation. »

An advice? I tilted my head.

Tara: « The future is not fixed. Sometimes, knowing your future and trying so hard not to stray from it is what causes that very future to change for the worst. That is why I choose to give advices instead at times. Let's see, what advice could I give you... I know! Did you know that there exists over 500 kinds of Pokemon? And with so many new species that keep getting discovered, I wouldn't be surprised that we reach over 1000 different species! Each of these Pokemon have different things they excel at, and if search enough, you may find one that will help you overcome your own weaknesses. My dream has always been to be a Fortune Teller, but I don't have any psychic power, and this dream wouldn't have been possible without my Gardevoir. Do you understand what I want to say? »

It felt as if the world just opened to me. I had always thought of my muteness as a major handicap that cut me from most professions, but this person had just shown me that even these professions could be possible with the right partner Pokemon. I swiftly nodded.

Tara: « That's what I like to see! Remember, the world is bigger than this village, and you don't have to rush an answer so fast. Take your time, and your future will be as bright as a Solrock! »

Ever since that day, I've prepared to go off to my own Pokemon journey. If I was to go alone, I needed to prepare more than the average trainer to overcome my muteness. I've been experimenting communication methods with my Swablu, and settled with using my flute as a way to give orders in battles. I've simulated in my head all the possible situations that could arise and prepared tools to help me overcome these.

And after half a year, I finally left on my own journey. A journey to find new possibilities and new partners. I don't think I am ready to meet up with Dimitri yet, but I hope he'll be proud of me when we meet again!

3. Who is the Pokemon that has triggered the oldest Mega Evolution in Pokemon's history, and what are the circumstances that made it possible?

4. What are the differences between the Silph Company and the Devon Corporation?

5. There was an old tower in Goldenrod City that no longer exists in the present. What was the purpose of this tower and what happened to it?

6. The Pokemon Mansion in Cinnabar Island is now abandoned. What are the events that caused it to be abandoned?

7. Why did Team Galactic try to steal Professor Rowan's Pokedex?

Your application and results must remain confidential. We ask all applicants to keep the fact they have applied secret. Sharing your application status will result in the rejection of your application.

Please be aware that all staff work is voluntary! This is not a career.

Edited by Shinohara
  • Like 15

image.gif

Please do not contact staff members for private support

Share your questions on the forums as they could be useful to others

Dear staff member,

Say, you apply and get accepted what would be one of the first tasks? Are we supposed to help with for example Unova or create a whole new region which will be connected? What direction are you trying to go with the story.

On that note, will their be certain deadlines for projects? What should we expect when we get accepted. Will we have to attend meetings etc?.

Hopefully you can reply as soon as possible and answer my questions.

Kind regards,

AlwaysLate

600x270AlwaysLate-Banner.jpg.b2f47ed947768856a0ee374cd36986e8.jpg

Dear staff member,

Say, you apply and get accepted what would be one of the first tasks? Are we supposed to help with for example Unova or create a whole new region which will be connected? What direction are you trying to go with the story.

On that note, will their be certain deadlines for projects? What should we expect when we get accepted. Will we have to attend meetings etc?.

Hopefully you can reply as soon as possible and answer my questions.

Kind regards,

AlwaysLate

Hi AlwaysLate.

The Story Writer will be responsible of creating stories and dialogs for upcoming content such as Legendary Pokemon quests and the main story for upcoming regions. Some of our current projects are stalling specifically because we are struggling to come up with good stories and keep it consistent throughout all the Content Scripters working on them, so these projects will certainly be the first tasks of newly recruited Story Writers.

About the deadlines, creating the story should be the first step in the workflow of a new content, so deadlines should usually fall on the side of other Content Creators, particularly Content Scripters. That said, certain contents like seasonal events do require stricter deadlines.

As for meetings, we do make meetings, but as we have members from all across the world, we know it is not possible to have a meeting with everyone present.

[ATTACH type=full" alt="166624]166624[/ATTACH]

We can change the names, etc. But the story must be of someone like that girl?

Like someone differently able or with the same type of personality?

Hi Anurag.

The character must be a character of your own creation. Just like the example I wrote, it could be a trainer looking to begin his or her own journey or that has already begun that journey. It could be a character that is currently doing a profession like Tara who is travelling to provide her Fortune Telling services across the world. Any kind of character you can think of is fine, the only constraint is that this character lives in the world of Pokemon.

However, it is to note that we will be evaluating you based on this character. Of course, re-using a pre-existing character, including those I wrote, is a no-go, but the more original and detailed your character is, the better we will evaluate it.

I hope this answers your questions. Have a good day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

When you guys ask for our names is it our real names or our character's name?

Is it a dumb question? Sorry i'm really nervous I can't think straight right now. LOL.

Best regards,

Bambitto.

Hi there @Bambitto

Thank you for contacting us regarding your concern.

I would like to clarify that when we ask for names we do ask for the real-life name of the player. If revealing your full name can be a concern for you, you can just put your first name without any problem.

It is also important to clarify that your application will be seen only by our staff members, and not by any other player.

I hope that I was able to clear your doubt and help you, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a wonderful day!

image.gif

Please do not contact staff members for private support

Share your questions on the forums as they could be useful to others

How do I post the application as a new topic? I have it ready im just not sure if I need to do something special to make it private.

Thank you,

Davien

Hi DavDav,

All you need to do is to post the application as a new thread in the Story Writer Application section, as linked in the original post. There is nothing special for you to do in order to make the topic private, the permissions of the section are set so that regular users can only see their own threads inside that section.

I hope this answers your question. Have a good day!

• Like 1

Hey guys!

It's me again, is there a deadline to send the application? I have half a short story that I'm working on and I'm not sure how long it will take for me to finish it. I would like to send my latest work.

Thanks ;-)

Hey guys!

It's me again, is there a deadline to send the application? I have half a short story that I'm working on and I'm not sure how long it will take for me to finish it. I would like to send my latest work.

Thanks ;-)

Hi Bambitto,

The Story Writer recruitment will end the 19th August at 23:59 GMT. Unfortunately, that is not much time remaining, so if you're planning on applying, you will need to hurry a bit so that your application makes it in time. If you don't think you'll be able to complete it, do focus on the parts that you think will highlight your writer skills the most!

Have a good day!