Suggestion for finding the bug that causes the server crashes.

Coup

So the way I see it is, we don't even have a starting point. Is the bug due to PvP, PvE, an NPC, the event, or the server? In order to at least have a general idea as to where to start finding the cause for crashes here is my suggestion:

We create a channel either on the community discord or here on the forums which's purpose is to gather information about what players were doing right before a crash happens. In other words, lets say the server just crashed, people who were online would go directly to this so called channel, and type out exactly what they were doing before the crash. If I was PvPing as an example, I would say; I had azumarill alive vs tangrowth, I clicked play rough and then it crashed. If I was PvEing I would type lets say; I interacted with this NPC at this location, and then it crashed. What this method does is it will allow us to at least pinpoint the common events happening right before the crash, and then we can pool the most common activities before the crash and check lets say the top 10 or 20 common answers between players. This should give us a starting point if people are willing to cooperate and actively report the last things done before the crash. After we get the top 10 or 20 most common activites before the crash, then we can start attempting to reproduce them on the test server.

I know it requires people to actively report their activities before crashes but i'm pretty sure if it does happen, we might get closer to discovering the reason why we are getting these crashes.

Edited by Coup
  • Like 10