A Reason to Smile : Banned Mawile

G3n3r4l

2 hours ago, Prodigy said:

I'm down to ban it if that means no Toxapex in this game.

Ash greninja was also banned because of your crying,

if you continue at this step we are going to play with barbies as I said

it's a bit annoying to stop it but you can, plus I don't even use mawile

Screenshot_20210411_075056.jpg

Edited by Limit
  • Like 1

IMG_0209.gif.0ec24d2ac7779e4d4b59d5c9005fe104.gif

Click on picture shop of limit

+1 for reasons I'll go into.
Also +1 for the content this thread provides

Disclaimer: I am fully aware PRO is not like PS/PO.

First of all, I think agreeing upon a definition of broken is a good starting point.
Why not look at Smogon's Tiering Policy for this.

Broken - elements that are too good relative to the rest of the metagame such that "more skillful play" is almost always rendered irrelevant

To start explaining why I believe Mega-Mawile fits under this description, we have to begin by looking at what makes it broken strong.
First of all, I think the most obvious thing is the outrageous atk stat when taking Huge Power into a count.
It hitting 678 without an SD should make it very clear that it's a powerhouse. 
Pair that with the fact it has a priority move, good defensive typing allowing it to come in on a variety of different things and a wide movepool to choose from and you have one of the most offensive threats possible.

Alright so it being obvious that it is a stallbreaker we can look at how Mega-Mawile matches up against the different playstyles in the metagame.
Let's start by judging what it's meant for, 
STALL MATCHUP:
Generic stall teams don't really have many answers to Mega-Mawile, their best best would be burning it; looking at possible Wisp users that are playable on stall we're pretty much left with Mega-Sableye & Zard-X.

Here are the calcs vs those mons after a single swords dance, which can easily be done against the other members of the team.

VS Mega-Sableye

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 342-403 (112.8 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-------------------
VS Mega-Charizard X

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power burned Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Charizard-Mega-X: 210-248 (58.4 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This goes to show that neither one of these is really a viable option considering Mega-Mawile teams are able to run a cleric to get rid of status afterwards & even if they don't, stall losing a valuable member on their team usual y results in weaknesses being created which once again can be exploited by Mega-Mawile and it's team members.

VS OFFENCE:
The fact Mawile has a good defensive typing and also has access to intimidate pre mega-evolve will mean that it can find openings to come in on a lot of things, upon entering the battlefield in such a scenario, it often forces either a kill or switch. Now, there simply aren't many pokémons ran on offence that want to switch into this 678 attack monster.

Another thing being that Mega-Mawile has the option to run Substitute + has access to priority in the form of Sucker Punch, all you generally need is a bit of prior damage on the opposing team and Mega-Mawile is able to clean up, which should be achievable considering you have 5 other pokémons supporting it.

-----

I can honestly go on and delve into more specific scenarios where Mega-Mawile poses a problem, but to round things up and not not make my post too lengthy I would like to summarize why I think Mega-Mawile is unhealthy for the metagame and should thus be banned:

1) Unlike most Stallbreakers, Mega-Mawile also poses a massive threat to any Offensive or Balance team.

2) The wide movepool allows for great coverage and has the ability to force your opponent into unpleasant 50/50s.
Eg. Switching is risky because of the Sub / SD Option + Not to begin with the Sucker Punch VS Play Rough mindgames.

3) Whereas a lot of offensive threats / mega's allow for a variety of support teambuilding wise, the possibilities with Mega-Mawile are insane.
eg. Screens / Veil - Sticky Web / Hazard Offense - Trick Room, etc;

4) The pokémon that are able to truely counter Mega-Mawile aren't relevant in the meta in any other scenario thus creating overall weaker teams because you need to check a certain mon, this also limits the options teambuilding wise as those other mons usualy need some sort of support in order to not be useless in a match where the opponent is not running Mega-Mawile

Most of these things like the 50/50 part, the how irrelevant the counters are in the meta and how it limits teambuilding to me atleast showcase that there is a lot inherently wrong with it being in the CURRENT PRO Meta and make me believe it can classify under the previously established definition of "Broken"
-----

++ As mentioned by the OP, he summarized the similarities between Mega-Mawile and Aegislash, now I'd like to add another comparison to a previously banned pokémon as well. This being Landorus-I with Sheer Force, this was another Wall breaker that did end up getting banned, I personally feel like the counters to that pokémon were atleast a bit more practical / generally viable like SpDef Gliscor. 

Anyways, A lot of people seem to want Mega-Mawile around for the sole purpose of it beating stall, I suppose we'll see how these opinions might change the more they face it even while playing Offence/Balance.

Thanks for reading, have a nice remainder of your day.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Limit said:

Ash greninja was also banned because of your crying,

if you continue at this step we are going to play with barbies as I said

it's a bit annoying to stop it but you can, plus I don't even use mawile

Screenshot_20210411_075056.jpg

I never said a single thing about Ash-Greninja in my life, so I don't know what are you talkin about.

Maybe it's hard to understand for some of you, but the point is to have a healthy and funny meta who attracts new users and not scary them.

Right now, in my opinion, the biggest problem in this game is stall, a stall predominant meta never gonna be good for the business, and its as simple as looking at the ladder every month and seeing how half the users on that list completely suck but make it just by abusing stall teams while playing 40 min battles, and here I am being OK in banning a stallbreaker, why? because first and foremost I want a healthy meta who gives variety of strategies without forcing you to using some mons just because 99% of the server is using the same broken mon.

Anyways, the guy above me explained it perfectly with a smart approach instead of posting some stupid [heck] like you did.

Edited by Prodigy

9 minutes ago, Prodigy said:

I never said a single thing about Ash-Greninja in my life, so I don't know what are you talkin about.

Maybe it's hard to understand for some of you, but the point is to have a healthy and funny meta who attracts new users and not scary them.

Right now, in my opinion, the biggest problem in this game is stall, a stall predominant meta never gonna be good for the business, and its as simple as looking at the ladder every month and seeing how half the users on that list completely suck but make it just by abusing stall teams while playing 40 min battles, and here I am being OK in banning a stallbreaker, why? because first and foremost I want a healthy meta who gives variety of strategies without forcing you to using some mons just because 99% of the server is using the same broken mon.

Anyways, the guy above me explained it perfectly with a smart approach instead of posting some stupid [heck] like you did.

1. with Ash Greninja.  I meant in general, not just you.

2.stupid is not.  because they only try to ban pokes that are not even banned in showdon.

And as you said yourself, you will not allow it as long as toxapex is not in the game.

(not even toxapex can stop a mega mawile)

Screenshot_20210411_074620_com.smogon.dex_edit_611840018445181.png.1d75ae1ba43031ac61f6448c7d2dd72d.png

3.mega mawile can be defeated, i've played against some and i've won

4.see the meta with only defensive pokemon based on toxic, thunder wave, recovery bores, because the only thing they ban is offensive and not defensive

• Like 1

IMG_0209.gif.0ec24d2ac7779e4d4b59d5c9005fe104.gif

Click on picture shop of limit

What I tried to say in my first message is I do not want Toxapex in the game, period. But if you want completely fook the meta and put Toxa & co. in it then allow every OP poke like Mawile without hesitation.

The only thing I'm with you is that they're just benefiting stall users with every thing they try to implement, like that Aegi ban they doing now.

Anyways, I don't expect nothing smart about PRO staff, it seems there's no one there who knows how to handle a succesful business (even if it's a small game with a small community).

Edited by Prodigy