[In-depth] The fast, optimal, consistent way of doing bosses (no mega required, 2 minutes average) [Video uploaded]

Uturnisfixed

Like the title, this is not a click bait, in this guide, i’ll show you how to do bosses fast and effectively without using megas (easier for alt accounts to do bosses, yay).

Our main strategy is abusing the move disable against NPCs, so let me explain about it’s mechanism first.

Spoiler

A NPC’s mon will always use the same attacking move against the player’s mon (in the battlefield) unless it has a non-attacking move. By disabling that move, NPC’s mon will do nothing for 3 turns. The easy way of doing this is protect then disable. But sometimes disable will fail. I've seen a lot of complaints about this problem and here’s the explanation: Bosses' moves have pps, too. You can't disable a move that has no pp but the bosses can still use those moves ( yes, it's weird, but that's how it works right now (5/28/2021)). Shout out to frozen, he made a video about this and a fast boss team on youtube, here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iNP1zch30

This strategy has been used by a lot of players, i think almost all players that know how to do it will know Mega-Banette this the ‘best’ disable user ( prankster disable, high attack, has destiny bond, basically disable then attack them 3 times or destiny bond). But in my opinion, that’s not the effective way of doing bosses. Using disable on every mon is really risky, you'll need to hope they don't go for a non-attacking move (protect,disable everymon will consume a lot of times, too). IMO, the best way of using disable is use it on a safe mon (a mon that you know for sure what it’s next move) then use those free turns to set up and sweep the rest (or at least take 3+ kills and let other mon finish the rest).

That’s enough for the explanation, this is the team

This team can take down easy bosses in less than 2 minutes and tricky bosses for less than 3 minutes.

Now i’ll explain the role of each mon in the team

Team explanation

Spoiler

Whimsicott artwork by Ken Sugimori
The first one is whimsicott, this mon should be familiar for most boss teams. What it does is pretty straightforward use prankster to trick the lagging tail (this item makes the holder always goes last) to the opponent or lowering its spd/attack/sp.attack for 2 states. And of course, flash to help us not get lost in dark places xD.

Spoiler

Smeargle artwork by Ken Sugimori
Smeargle is a very crucial member of the team. It’s the only mon that can have these 4 moves at the same time: shell smash(the best setup move in the game), baton pass, disable and substitute(for easy disable and subs for your teammates).

Spoiler

Excadrill artwork by Ken Sugimori

The next one is Excadrill, with mold breaker to take down annoying sturdy/unaware/levitate mon, stealth rock to break sashes and sturdy (before being fodder xD) , great base attack, type and movepool. Excadrill can be your sweeper or a stealth rock fodder depending on the boss’s team.

Spoiler

Nidoking artwork by Ken Sugimori
Nidoking, this is your main sweeper in most cases because of 3 reasons.
1. Ground/Ice is one of the best move coverage in the game. Those two can hit almost every mons with either super effect or neutral except rotom (excadrill says hi). A boosted Nidoking with Sheer Force, Life Orb can hit like a truck. 

2. It doesn’t care about status, annoying ability/moves like intimidate, toxic (lul), will-o-wisp( it’s a special attacker), static (no contact means no paralyze), etc. And it's a ground mon which means it won't take damage from sand -> faster animation.

3. Yes, it can use the disable, substitute combo to beat stuff that it can't OHKO (only a few boss’s mon(hard mode ofc) can take a hit from a boosted Life orb Nidoking. Like sash Magic Guard alakazam, sturdy or even unaware mons if needed (yes, life orb Nidoking can easily 1v1 unaware clef/quagsire). You can setup sub before facing a mon that has a priority move, too, so priorty will no longer a problem.

Spoiler

Gengar artwork by Ken Sugimori
Yes, another disable user, Gengar. This mon can be used for backup or even sweeping in some cases. Protect->Disable->Perish Song->Shadow Ball->Switch->Protect (smeargle/sharpedo) or just stay still after using Perish Song to get in a free mon and take down an annoying mon as well. Ghost moves only have 1 resist and 1 immunity which is Dark and Normal, so it can be a decent sweeper as well whenever u need it .

Spoiler

Sharpedo artwork by Ken Sugimori
And the last one, Sharpedo. Protect -> Destiny bond until it dies, that's all it does. The last 2 moves also help for traveling to some boss’s location.

Requirements

Spoiler
  1. Life Orb Nidoking, +spa nature(not quiet)
  2. 400+ att Excadrill( must be +att nature), muscle band (optimal), mold breaker. Hold Life Orb if u don't have enough attack
  3. 260+ spd Smeargle for Aerodactyl, Salamence, etc
  4. Random gengar, sharpedo with + spd nature

Some tips

Spoiler
  1. Setup sub first before facing a mon that has a priority move (Nidoking)
  2. If the boss has 2+ sturdy /sash mons that Excadrill can't OHKO, setup sr(stealth rock) then sweep with Nidoking
  3. If the boss use a move that has only 5 pps against ur Smeargle, ss(shell smash) -> disable ->double ss-> baton pass is the best option, otherwise just go for slow setup (2 disables)
  4. Against Mega-Salamence, lead with ur Smeargle then keep ss untill he break ur sash, after that, go for max boost then sweep.

Video uploaded on the second post, scroll down.

Edited by uturnisfixed
  • Like 3

Video uploaded.

Spoiler

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/tN703n3gqxo

Bosses's team information: https://prowiki.info/index.php?title=Bosses

My mons's stats: https://imgur.com/a/7X5QdhH

Easy bosses should take less 2 minutes most of the time. Easy boss means early setup(u can setup in front of their first/second mon) , fast setup(1 disable), no sash and priority mons.

Let's analyze some of my boss fight in the video

Brock

Easy one, 2 ss excadrill should be enough. The strategy here is memento to save Smeargle's sash, ss(shell smash) 2 times then sweep.

Suicune Guardian

3rd mon sturdy, azumarill has aqua jet. Kyurem will always focus blast smeargle and i also need 3 ss to sweep so ss->disble->double ss-> baton pass should be the optimal play here. After that, all u need is setup sub before facing azumarill.

Link

2 sturdy mons, slow lead. His lead is hippowdon - a very slow mon -> no need whimsicott, lead with excadrill, setup sr(stealth rock) -> hippowdon eq (10 pp) -> smeargle disable-> 3ss-> sweep. This should be the strat for Urahara, too but i chose to sub disble against 3 mons -> quite slower.

Some optimization tips:

Spoiler
  1. The best Whimsicott for bosses is the worst Whimsicott, you want it do die as soon as possible after switcheroo/cotton spore
  2. To sweep with Excadrill, you'll need x3 shell smashes in most cases. You'll need at least 400 attacks and a Muscle Band to OHKO bulky stuff that resists/immune to eq with iron head/ return (Zapdos, Gliscor, Heracross, etc). You can use silk scarf/metal coat/life orb but all of them are suboptimal because life orb has recoil animation and you have to switch item between silk scarf/metal coat to be able to OHKO those bulky mons that i mentioned above, which is quite annoying. Rock slide/ rock tomb are good but they can miss so it's not safe.
  3. Smeargle and Nidoking should have 4n+1 HP to be able to sub 4 times.
  4. In most cases, Nidoking only needs 2 shell smashes to sweep (check my video for more details)
  5. Turn off move animations, this will save u a lot of time.
  6. U can still u megas if u want, but the animation takes forever.

If you follow my guide, it'll take u about 1 and a half hour to finish 20 bosses. I hope this guide will save u some time (more time for pvp, hunting, yay). Again, thanks for reading.

Edited by uturnisfixed

On 5/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, Fplayer27 said:

How do you Deal with priority moves? 

Only few bosses has a priority mon, put a sash on ur sweeper / take down that mon first/ use a sweeper that resist its priority move (like excadrill for scizor, etc) / use a sweeper that take more damage from its non-priority moves (Weavile has ice shard, but it'll always go for knock off against Gengar for example)

Edit: I made a better version of this team which use substitute/disable combo instead of protect/disable. This makes priority moves no longer a problem, just set up sub before u face the mon that has priority move, easy

Edited by uturnisfixed

• Uturnisfixed changed the title to [In-depth] The fast, optimal, consistent way of doing bosses (no mega required, 2 minutes average)
  • Uturnisfixed changed the title to [In-depth] The fast, optimal, consistent way of doing bosses (no mega required, 2 minutes average) [Video uploaded]
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...