Allow players to choose starting regions

Jahrwar

I would love to see an option for those who want to choose a specific starting region. Many of us who play PRO are nostalgia seekers, longing for something to scratch that itch. Problem with the current cronological playstyle is that not all of us have deep memories for all of the regions. Some care more about one, then they do the other. For example, in my situation, I have a bunch of friends who love the idea of PRO and are all hyped for it, but none of us really care for kanto and Johto, we want to go directly into our childhood memories in Hoenn, but the current setup doesn't allow for that. 

I do understand that the story in PRO is all original and there most definitely has gone a lot of work into it. I've played a bunch of it and I think it's great, but those who want to play one specific region will just rush through it, skip all text and trade for a high lvl poke after gym 4 just to get there. This is bad both for the player and the great folks who make the story. It ends up being a tedious process for the players, while not really benifitting from the story.

Another problem could be the balance of the story itself, if we were to freely chose regions. But I believe the positives of free choice will outweigh the negatives by a large margin. Perhaphs make a note in character creation that the games story is intended to be played in a cronological order and that's recommended, while still allowing choice for those who truly want it. That way they know they sacrifice some story continuity for their choice.

There are many ways to takle a potential solution. I believe the best compromise is to just throw the player straight into the story, like watching a TV show from season 3.

I hope some of this comes to fruition. I absolutely love this game and I think the whole team is doing an amazing job. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, JahrWar said:

I would love to see an option for those who want to choose a specific starting region. Many of us who play PRO are nostalgia seekers, longing for something to scratch that itch. Problem with the current cronological playstyle is that not all of us have deep memories for all of the regions. Some care more about one, then they do the other. For example, in my situation, I have a bunch of friends who love the idea of PRO and are all hyped for it, but none of us really care for kanto and Johto, we want to go directly into our childhood memories in Hoenn, but the current setup doesn't allow for that. 

I do understand that the story in PRO is all original and there most definitely has gone a lot of work into it. I've played a bunch of it and I think it's great, but those who want to play one specific region will just rush through it, skip all text and trade for a high lvl poke after gym 4 just to get there. This is bad both for the player and the great folks who make the story. It ends up being a tedious process for the players, while not really benifitting from the story.

Another problem could be the balance of the story itself, if we were to freely chose regions. But I believe the positives of free choice will outweigh the negatives by a large margin. Perhaphs make a note in character creation that the games story is intended to be played in a cronological order and that's recommended, while still allowing choice for those who truly want it. That way they know they sacrifice some story continuity for their choice.

There are many ways to takle a potential solution. I believe the best compromise is to just throw the player straight into the story, like watching a TV show from season 3.

I hope some of this comes to fruition. I absolutely love this game and I think the whole team is doing an amazing job. Thank you!

I love this idea as most other Pokemon MMOs out there have this feature, but I think that PRO should stick to the chronological order they have set-out. This allows player to understand each region and their story because as you should know, Johto and Kanto story are related (They both have Team Rocket). This allows for a somewhat consistency in the flow of the story, so 'new' players don't get confused as to why these Rocket Grunts are talking about Giovanni and all that. I'm speaking all this from personal experience, but these feature would be great for 'OG' Pokemon trainers that are nostalgic, I do agree. We have no problems understanding the story even if we start from the middle xD. But what about the new players.

I don't think this would work out for two main reasons, one being the difficulty scale, Kanto being the easiest, and Sinnoh being the hardest, jumping right into Sinnoh just seems like it wouldn't fare well.

Reason number 2, and main reason, is that the quests to go to the later two regions would be pointless if you just pick where you want to go, the transport mechanism to get to the new regions would need to be changed, and overall quests would need a rework as well to compensate for those moving through other regions that they choose.

582664592_SignaturePRO.gif.70cdafd9bdecee8b3cbad20ae1fcc93a.gif