No Sense of Prices (Auction House where?)

Jadeash

So, I just came out of what probably is the best auction I did in my life. Sold a 30 speed 24 spatk ha hp fire snivy for 17m and I was so happy about it. While auctioning though, I did get some disturbing messages and it got me thinking. 

Most players have no sense of prices or the actual worth of things.

So I thought, the auction house sounds like a really good idea to start putting some sense of worth into the game. I don't know if they're still working on it or not, but when they didn't put it in the last poll it got me a little worried. 

Do you think they should accelerate the process/prioritize it over other things or not? 

I attached a very very small sample of the hate messages I got during the auction.

Inkedcomm_LI.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

People can just be mad about pricing. I dont like the idea of a universal auction house with listings etc. However I could see having a system where you could participate in server auctions that might go on for hours in a specific main hub such as vermillion. Where people could stand on a stage to sell there pokemon ,and you can check the stats while increasing the price via pokemuns. 

• Like 1

Happened a lot to me too. Some 100-200 hours guy not knowing anything about pricing and pming you and telling you your Pokemon is trash and worth nothing.

And you know what? Of course I sold the Pokemon for the price I wanted. 😉

Auction house could indeed help with that. 👍

Edited by Madtrainer
  • Like 1

Madtrainer_Jolteon.gif.207f7bcf3067bf69eb5205ea0bc33f66.gif

Any items price is dictated by what the market will willingly pay for it. It doesn’t matter if 9,000 people will only pay 50k for something, but a select group of 500 people will consistently buy that item up at 10mil instant each time, then the market value is 10mil.

You’re just feeling what’s called jealousy, or greed. People will often attempt to tell others that an items value is less either a) out of lack of knowledge, or b) in an attempt to buy it cheap.

Simply ignore these people. They have no idea how distribution, market value, price fluctuation, or anything else works. They’re judging price off their sense of justice or greed and that’s it.

People seem to misunderstand the difference between Scams, under pricing, over pricing, and willing sell price.

Example: Say a 4x31 timid gengar historically sold at 4mil, and you decide you list yours, with your OT, at 6mil start.

That’s not a scam. You’ve given all the information and laid out a price that you’re willing to accept. If people don’t like that price, they can simply not buy it. Ignore those who scream at you to make the price lower. It’s not their poke, so they have no right to comment on the price. All they can choose to do is either bid, or move on.

As a seller, the best thing for you to always do, is research sales history for anything you’re thinking of selling. Once you have, decide on its value to you. Probably the most important part.

There’s no point in selling your snivy for 300k if you would rather have it to use unless you can get say, 10mil for it.

Pick the price your comfortable with, and ignore any nay-sayers. Even a live auction house wow style won’t change this aspect of economy.

• Like 4
  • Checked/Done 1

2 hours ago, Tymazen said:

Any items price is dictated by what the market will willingly pay for it. It doesn’t matter if 9,000 people will only pay 50k for something, but a select group of 500 people will consistently buy that item up at 10mil instant each time, then the market value is 10mil.

You’re just feeling what’s called jealousy, or greed. People will often attempt to tell others that an items value is less either a) out of lack of knowledge, or b) in an attempt to buy it cheap.

Simply ignore these people. They have no idea how distribution, market value, price fluctuation, or anything else works. They’re judging price off their sense of justice or greed and that’s it.

People seem to misunderstand the difference between Scams, under pricing, over pricing, and willing sell price.

Example: Say a 4x31 timid gengar historically sold at 4mil, and you decide you list yours, with your OT, at 6mil start.

That’s not a scam. You’ve given all the information and laid out a price that you’re willing to accept. If people don’t like that price, they can simply not buy it. Ignore those who scream at you to make the price lower. It’s not their poke, so they have no right to comment on the price. All they can choose to do is either bid, or move on.

As a seller, the best thing for you to always do, is research sales history for anything you’re thinking of selling. Once you have, decide on its value to you. Probably the most important part.

There’s no point in selling your snivy for 300k if you would rather have it to use unless you can get say, 10mil for it.

Pick the price your comfortable with, and ignore any nay-sayers. Even a live auction house wow style won’t change this aspect of economy.

I like everything you said. And its all true. But don't you think the prices of everything would stop fluctuating when a solid basis for prices is established? Like the auction house or anything else that provides stable handling of commodities. Pokemon, items or whatever?   

Thats what I want to believe but I dont know if things can ever be stable as long as auctions are an integrated part of the market in PRO.

Ill try to go over most points and try to explain them where possible,

3 hours ago, JadeAsh said:

So I thought, the auction house sounds like a really good idea to start putting some sense of worth into the game. I don't know if they're still working on it or not, but when they didn't put it in the last poll it got me a little worried. 

In the previous Q&A Eaty announced it will most likely not happen to get an auction house done. 

I attached a very very small sample of the hate messages I got during the auction.

When this happens simply report the player, if you feel like your Pokémon will start/sell for the price you list it its your choice to do so.

2 hours ago, Feebas said:

People can just be mad about pricing. I dont like the idea of a universal auction house with listings etc. However I could see having a system where you could participate in server auctions that might go on for hours in a specific main hub such as vermillion. Where people could stand on a stage to sell there pokemon ,and you can check the stats while increasing the price via pokemuns. 

This will probably not as easy as it sounds, mainly because most people wouldnt want to stay in 1 spot to offer on a Pokémon. 

The biggest issue with prices are that a Pokémon or item will be worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There is no set price as there simply cant be one. In most MMO's items will fluctuate, they either rise or drop depending on released content, players, supply and demand, etc etc, this is one of the reasons staff cant and wont reply to price checks. It would be impossible to know if its correct. I could make a whole story around it but it all comes down to the simple fact that every Pokémon is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, if a player comments on it in Dms in a bad way all you can do is report it. Its not really something we can prevent completly.

Sincerely Hawluchaa

• Like 1
  • Checked/Done 2

20210407_201806.gif

I like everything you said. And its all true. But don't you think the prices of everything would stop fluctuating when a solid basis for prices is established? Like the auction house or anything else that provides stable handling of commodities. Pokemon, items or whatever?   

Thats what I want to believe but I dont know if things can ever be stable as long as auctions are an integrated part of the market in PRO.

To caveat on what hawlucha said.

I've played TONS of mmo's, and the one thing I do in everyone is economy. 

An auction house would not stabilize pricing or fix the flame issues.

Here's why:

Take WOW's auction house for example. I have gold cap (10mil) on 14 different characters.

Something I used to do frequently, is when prices dropped too low on the auction house, I would buy up all the stock for that specific item for days or weeks at a time. Then starve the market, while listing mine, and what I bought, at quadruple or more the old price. 

This in turn allowed me to artificially set the price, starve the market so people bought in bulk and fast thinking it was all gone, and make a ton of profit. This was later on banned in wow, but there are other methods for playing an AH to ones advantage.

The same, and similar circumstances, can occur on any AH. Aka, it's impossible to standardize pricing. It will always fluctuate based off what a player is willing to pay. If norex pops up and pays 100mil for a form gible, you can bet your entire fruit basket that everyone will start listing, and the price will artificially inflate for quite a while.

PRO pricing is actually quite stable, it's just not as convenient to find pricing in PRO atm. People haven't figured out how to use the search bar in the forums to look at sell price history apparently.

Sorry you got flamed my dude, but don't let it phase you! You're the one that just profited 17mil, not that guy. Enjoy your money!

• Like 1