PvP Quest suggestions

Eaty

Imo I don't see the benefit of separate coins and tokens. Personally, as a player who hasn't ever laddered, I've been working for months to get an epic prestige mount so I would like to keep getting coins/tokens all in one spot as 2,500 coins is a lot of coins, specifically when you aren't placing on the ladder (yet!)

• Like 2

Everything is ok 

better to have ranks like bronze silver gold 

and fix the match making to certain rank like 

bronze vs brone or silver 

silver vs silber and gold

gold vs platinum 

Plat above can vs all the top ranks diamond and so on

• Like 2

spacer.png

• Developer

1 hour ago, Demonslayer18 said:

It would be better to let buy tradable rerolls with pvp tokens as it proves a nerf for ladder players unless done so

Rest all is good

It's a nerf for PvP Coins but a huge buff overall.

1 hour ago, Dogzer said:

I love that idea, but could we get an explanation on "1 pvp coin perwin, capped by 200" ? I understand that pvp token being capped is kinda fine atm, but cap the current pvp coin, I don't get it.

In near future you can only get up to 200 PvP Coins from wins each season.

54 minutes ago, trantoan62 said:

I have an opinion, why don't you turn PvP coins and PvP tokens become one? Because they were used in a same way:  spent to get something. So i recommend you should give us every quest above, but reward is only PvP coins (for example: 6 PvP coins instead of 3 PvP coins and 3 PvP tokens), people don't like that they have 50 A-coins and 50 B-coins but they wanna buy something with the cost is 100 coins. It's very annoying. Ty for reading

PvP Coins can be used to make money by buying and selling items while PvP Tokens can only be used to modify your legendaries and not be used in any other way. 

40 minutes ago, PillowPorkers69 said:

Imo I don't see the benefit of separate coins and tokens. Personally, as a player who hasn't ever laddered, I've been working for months to get an epic prestige mount so I would like to keep getting coins/tokens all in one spot as 2,500 coins is a lot of coins, specifically when you aren't placing on the ladder (yet!)

Answered above.

33 minutes ago, chaos23 said:

Everything is ok 

better to have ranks like bronze silver gold 

and fix the match making to certain rank like 

bronze vs brone or silver 

silver vs silber and gold

gold vs platinum 

Plat above can vs all the top ranks diamond and so on

We sadly don't have 100m+ players to make this happen.

• Like 1

Assuming that, by matches and PvP Quests, we are only referring to Normal Ranked PvP, here are my suggestions for PvP Quests, which take into account the fact that players who do not complete them are only missing out on additional, totally optional rewards

3 Daily PvP Quests:

• Play 5 matches. Ideally, even if the number ends up being lower, players should always be able to finish all daily PvP Quests if they complete this one. Instead of 5 matches, we can also have X matches, with X being a number between 3 and 5.
  • Win 3 matches. Likewise, instead of 3 matches, we can have X matches, X being 2 or 3.
  • The last daily PvP quest can rotate between 1 of these quests:
    • Play a game with X in your team, X being a random Pokémon. Here are some potential issues that could arise: Players not having X; X being absolutely terrible and almost always constituting a burden; players being forced to borrow Pokémon in order to complete this quest from time to time, which could also increase the risk of potential scammers, given that the lending function currently doesn't work.
      • Having said that, X can be randomly chosen from the player's PC based on level-100 Pokémon, but some of those will be story Pokémon and will be extremely mediocre, while other players can make sure to have PvP-ready lvl-100 Pokémon just for the sake of doing this quest, so I don't think choosing a Pokémon that the player already has can work.
      • Another suggestion is to make sure that only fully evolved Pokémon can be mentioned. Moreover, if certain Pokémon, like Unown, can be blacklisted in advance for being too mediocre, I think it is also worth considering.
    • Play a game without X in your team, X being either the Pokémon that the player used the most the previous day (if there is a way to keep track of this) or a random Pokémon from the Top 25 list.
    • Play a game with a X-type Pokémon, X being a random type, or play a game without a X-type Pokémon, X being either the type that the player used the most the previous day (if there is a way to keep track of this) or a random type. If considered, I would like certain types, like the Steel type, to have a higher chance to be chosen.
    • Some other silly but maybe fun ideas:
      • The "Play 5 matches" and "Win 3 matches" quests could rarely change to "Play 5 matches without X in your team" or "Win 3 matches without using X-type Pokémon." For these particular quests, I do not think imposing a must-have condition (e.g., "Win 3 matches with Bibarel") would necessarily be popular.
      • Play or win 1 match with a Pokémon starting with the letter X, X being a random letter (Yes, I know X is already a letter, but...).
      • Play or win 1 match with X Y-type Pokémon, X being the number of Pokémon and Y being the type. X should maybe be capped at 3 or 4, while Y can be any type.

Something worth noting is that some players might be tempted to forfeit immediately in order to complete some of these daily quests. Is it possible to have them complete the match? I understand that it could be a long and frustrating one, though (e.g., against Stall), which is why I am in favor of changing most of these quests from play to win instead.

3 Weekly PvP Quests (that can be completed alongside daily and seasonal PvP quests):

• Get a minimum of 100 rating or get a minimum of X rating, X ranging from 80 to 120.
  • Win X matches with at least Y OT Pokémon in your team, X being a slightly higher number than for daily PvP quests and Y being capped at 3 or 4.
  • Defeat a player with 100 more rating than you.
  • Defeat a player from a rival Top 10 guild.
  • Win X matches with Pokémon that have a total of 600 Y, X being a random number of wins within a certain range and Y being a random Base Stat (HP, Atk, Def, etc.). "600" is an indicative number, but the main issue is Speed, which prevents me from picking something higher (since 6 115-Base Speed Pokémon would not even reach 700 BST).
    • Alternatively, this can be changed to: Win X matches with Pokémon that have a total of Y Z, X being a random number of wins within a certain range, Y being the BST, and Z being the stat in question. This way, numbers can be tailored according to each stat.
  • Win X matches with a Pokémon with the ability Y, X being a random number of wins and Y being a weather-inducing ability.
  • Win X matches in a row, X being at least 3.
  • Win X matches without using more than Y Pokémon from last season's list of Top 25 (or Top 50) most used Pokémon, X being a random number of wins and Y ranging from 1 to 3.
  • OHKO X Pokémon, X being a random number. Note: OHKO=One-hit knockout. This means that a Pokémon taking 99% damage (because of Focus Sash or something else) would not count, so be careful with entry hazards, too!
    • We can also have a different version of this achievement: Have X Pokémon faint without you dealing any direct damage to them, X being a random number.
  • Win X matches without using any legendary or mythical Pokémon, X being a random number.
  • Win X matches without using the item Y, X being a random number and Y ideally being one of the player's most regularly used items (e.g., Leftovers, Focus Sash...).
  • Win X matches without any of your Pokémon having more than Y Z, X being a random number, Y ranging from 60 to 80, and Z being the base stat. An example would be: Win 3 matches without any of your Pokémon having more than 75 Base Speed. 

3 Seasonal PvP Quests (that can be completed alongside daily and weekly PvP quests):

• Finish the PvP season in the Top 25 Normal Ranked PvP ladder.
  • Achieve X rating without using your 5 most used Pokémon from last season.
  • Achieve X rating without using more than Y Pokémon from last season's list of Top 25 most used Pokémon, X being at least 200 and Y ranging from 1 to 3.
  • Achieve X rating without using any legendary or mythical Pokémon, X being at least 250.
  • Defeat X players from a rival Top 3 guild, X being a random number (but at least 3).
  • Win X matches with Y dealing the final blow, X being a random number (but at least 3) and Y being a random Pokémon. This could be really frustrating if Y is a bad Pokémon, but it might encourage some creativity.
  • Win X matches with none of your Pokémon having a BST higher than Y, X being a random number and Y being a relatively low number as far as BST is concerned.

The first listed seasonal PvP quest should always be present, in my opinion. I am not sure how players would receive their seasonal PvP rewards, though. For example, if they do not interact with a certain NPC (because, let's say, they have to wait for the end of the season to be confirmed as Top 25 players), how will they receive them? Maybe at the start of the next season?

Let's assume 30 days in a given season. This means a total of 90 daily, 12 weekly, and 3 seasonal PvP Quests. I think that PvP daily quests should not grant players additional rewards for completing all of them every day. If each one grants the player 1 PvP Token (or 1 PvP Coin, which might be more appealing as a way to balance this out, since there is a currency exchange cap), 90 PvP Tokens (or 90 PvP Coins) can be earned every season through daily PvP quests alone. I think this is fine. Weekly PvP quests should then grant players 3 PvP Tokens (or 3 PvP Coins) for a total of 36 possible PvP Tokens (or PvP Coins) every season. Finally, as seasonal PvP quests are noticeably more difficult, they should maybe grant players 5 or 10 PvP Tokens (or PvP Coins). I am not sure about the individual number, but players can then earn 15 or 30 PvP Tokens (or PvP Coins) for completing all seasonal quests. However, this is still a relatively low number because I do not know if players will also earn additional rewards for completing all weekly and seasonal PvP quests every time. Assuming no extra Tokens or Coins, the 3 seasonal PvP quests should grant a total of 30 PvP Tokens or (PvP Coins). As such, players can earn up to 156 PvP Tokens (or PvP Coins) for completing every single PvP quests. The numbers can be tweaked later.

Edited by Jorogumo
  • Like 8

Indoor-Fishh.png

Although I love objectives, and I like seeing more ways for non-ladder players to earn PvP coins, PvP quests are unfortunately risky features. There's essentially 3 problems.

PvP is an environment where two players try their best to win over the other. Only one can win, and it's the one who has gathered the best team and made the best use of it during the match. A single bad decision can cost you the match, and so can a wrong team composition. 

So when a game introduces quests like "Win PvP with this" or "Achieve this during PvP"... These are quests that give you an handicap. Unless you are already using what's designated, you will have to change your play style for something you may be unfamiliar with or simply don't know how to use efficiently (for example, impatient players resonate a huge lot more with Hyper Offense teams than Stall teams). So if you come across a player of the same level, that handicap will be just enough to make you lose. And since the matching tries to give you players of the same level as much as possible... It means that your best option is to purposedly lose matches to reduce your ranking and get matched with weaker players. I've seen this done in many MMORPGs, and there's even one where this has become the norm for "farming" PvP, so if you play normally, you mostly end up meeting only people stronger than you or people that give up right away. That's the first problem.

The second problem is regarding directly the "win" quests. Unlike the point above, you don't put any handicap, it's just the original objective of PvP. If you win regularly, it's not a problem... But when you're on a losing streak, this is where the daily Win quests become very frustrating. Losing becomes more frustrating as it means missing out on rewards, and the bigger the difference in rewards between a win and a loss, the bigger the frustration. In fact, I tried to do Randoms with the goal to place top 25, and it felt a lot less fun than when I played on Showdown without any care about ranking.

Finally, there's the problem that getting a PvP-viable Pokemon is no trivial task. If you're asked to get a Garchomp and you don't have one ready to use, you'd need to go buy one (which is likely not worth it for the few points we'll gain) or spend time hunting a new one. Depending on how much time you can spend per week, you may be unable to find a good one and have to fight with one that has horrible stats. And that can be very discouraging.

Ideally, time-based PvP quests should be more broad objectives. Objectives that are completed naturally by participating, or quests that can be completed without changing your team composition or play style so much that it becomes an handicap. For example:

• Complete x matches in a specific ladder. Right now, we only have OU and Randoms, but this could eventually have UU or whatever other side ladder available.
  • Defeat at least x Pokemon for y matches. Basically, a softer "Win" quest as it still counts if you weren't too far from winning.
  • Participate using x Pokemons of a specific type. There's very good chances that you are already using said type, and if you don't, you can pick whichever synergizes the best with your team. And if you prepare at least one Pokemon for each type, you don't get any surprise by having to suddenly go hunting.
  • Defeat a Pokemon with x different Mega Evolutions. Since this is your ace, it should at least be able to do that.

If we do quests that require you to use a specific Pokemon, we should probably do it like that:

• The Pokemon will always be one that is considered viable for one of the active ladders, and never an event-exclusive or legendary Pokemon.
  • The quest lasts an infinite amount of time. However, twice a week, you can reroll the designated Pokemon.
  • When the quest is completed, a new one can immediately be started, unless it has already been completed 5 times in the month.
  • The reward decreases for every completion in a month.

This gives a little bit more freedom, in case the player rolls a Pokemon that is too rare to obtain or that he hates using. Furthermore, the decrease in reward makes it still worth to complete just a couple times instead of trying to complete it as many times as possible, reducing the pressure of trying to capture a good one ASAP.

There could also be more long-term quests, like winning x amount of times in total (and not within a specific amount of time frame). If you can slowly progress at your own rhythm, these Win quests aren't too frustrating when you're on a losing streak.

So yeah, I would try to avoid quests that force the player to set themself an handicap in PvP, and focus more on quest objectives that the player can complete at his own rhythm, in his own way.

• Like 8

214157603_sayumigrowlithesignature.png.4a2a82daf244704d7e1e67f4faf14065.png

Wow. I really like the idea of new pvp quests and the new pvp reward system could perfectly fit with it. I think this can encourage people doing pvp and adding some kind of diversity in the pvp scene at the same time since you could be rewarded for using uncommon Pokemon you hunted. Definitely a something good since we are playing a MMO.

Here are my suggestions regarding new pvp quests:

Daily PVP quests:

Play 3 matches: reward 1 RC or 1 PP UP

Play 5 matches: reward 2 RCs or 2 PP UPs

Pkay 10 marches: reward 5 RCs or 5 PP UPs

Play a game with X in your team: reward 1 token

(the Pokemon should not be in the top 50 most used Pokemon imo)

Play a game with a shiny/event form (Halloween in October, Xmas in December etc.) with your OT: 1 token

Play a match with a monotype team: reward 1 random pvp berry (Custap, salac etc.)

Play a match with 0 X type Pokemon: reward 1 random pvp berry

Weekly PVP quests:

Get a minim of X rating: reward pvp coins

Win 3 matches with at least 3 OT non legendary Pokemon: reward 1 token

Win 5 matches with at least 3 OT non legendary Pokemon: reward 2 tokens

Win 10 matches with at least 3 OT non legendary Pokemon: reward 5 tokens

Win 3 matches with less than 2 legendary Pokemon: reward 1 token

Win 5 matches with less than 2 legendary Pokemon: reward 2 tokens

Win 10 matches with less than 2 legendary Pokemon: reward 5 tokens

Seasonal PVP quests:

Finishing top 25

Finishing season with more than 200 rating without using YOUR most used Pokemon from last season: reward 20 pvp coins

Finishing season with more than 200 rating  without using even once, one of the most used Pokemon from last season: reward 50 pvp coins

• Like 6

For a game without any form of toxicity.

Ign : GDarch

Discord : GDarch#5224

spacer.png

I like the fact that you guys want to push people to play pvp but this is hard af, pve>pvp since forever pretty much.

You get rewarded more for doing something that requires less skill and less knowledge so if i'm a new player why would i ever choose pvp over pve?, sure you can do both if you want but here we talk about pushing people to play, give them reasons to start learning something that requires an higher amout of skills and effort.

I'll leave a conversation between 2 players in the #top25-pvp-chat, maybe you can understand my argument better (the topic was literally the same if i remember correctly but maybe a lot of numbers were different).

1686742878_download(66).png.867a9f033b2481f8070e5ac88b8bd6d2.png

Edited by Zyreh
  • Checked/Done 1

3 minutes ago, Zyreh said:

1686742878_download(66).png.867a9f033b2481f8070e5ac88b8bd6d2.png

Regarding the discussion in your screenshot, although it's true that we should ideally reward better for what requires more skills and effort, the comparison is a little off.

The problem where the comparison fails is the "type of reward". That you work at McDonald or as a Lawyer, you still receive the same reward: money. You just receive a different quantity of it. If you want something, you'll be able to buy it regardless of what you work as, the only difference is that it will take significantly longer if your salary is lower, and you may have to make compromises to remain in your budget.

In PRO, the reward set is however different between PvP and PvE. There are rewards that can only be claimed in PvE, and other rewards that can only be claimed in PvP. Yes, it should ideally be faster to get the common rewards from the PvP side since that requires more skills. But when it comes to exclusive items, it's no longer a question of "better rewards", it's a question of HAVING to do that. For example, if you want a Kyogre mount, but hate PvP... Well, you're kinda screwed because no amount of PvE can help you get that. And the opposite is true as well for PvE. It would be ridiculous to have a Lawyer start working at McDonald for the reason that he can only get a Playstation if he works there.

214157603_sayumigrowlithesignature.png.4a2a82daf244704d7e1e67f4faf14065.png

Quest Ideas, could also be part of an archivement system:

Use X super effective moves

Use X STAB moves

Boost your stat X times

Hit a super effective move after your opponent switches (X times)

Make ur opponents move have no effect with a switch (X times)

Kill X pokemon with a mega evolution

Kill X mega evolutions

Restore X Hp (roost, softboiled etc)

Deal X Hp damage

Inflict poison/burn/para X times

Flinch the opponent X times

Be affected by ur held item X times (f.e. an assault vest poke getting hit by a special move, or leftovers restoring health)

Block a status move with taunt X times

Recover from a status X times (heal bell/rest maybe doable in randoms?)

set stealth rocks/spikes/tspikes/sticky web x times

Make ur opponent use struggle (could be hard with forfeits)

Summon a weather X times

Outspeed due to weather X times

Use a weather boosted move X times

I might edit later if more come to my mind.

oh also, love the idea. more quests please. do it. 🙂

Edited by CapriFame
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Haneroze said:

Regarding the discussion in your screenshot, although it's true that we should ideally reward better for what requires more skills and effort, the comparison is a little off.

The problem where the comparison fails is the "type of reward". That you work at McDonald or as a Lawyer, you still receive the same reward: money. You just receive a different quantity of it. If you want something, you'll be able to buy it regardless of what you work as, the only difference is that it will take significantly longer if your salary is lower, and you may have to make compromises to remain in your budget.

In PRO, the reward set is however different between PvP and PvE. There are rewards that can only be claimed in PvE, and other rewards that can only be claimed in PvP. Yes, it should ideally be faster to get the common rewards from the PvP side since that requires more skills. But when it comes to exclusive items, it's no longer a question of "better rewards", it's a question of HAVING to do that. For example, if you want a Kyogre mount, but hate PvP... Well, you're kinda screwed because no amount of PvE can help you get that. And the opposite is true as well for PvE. It would be ridiculous to have a Lawyer start working at McDonald for the reason that he can only get a Playstation if he works there.

cosmetics and some items are not enough to push people into pvpving over pvpeing, you still get rewarded less overall