Closing a chat window should print a System message

Desumi

Throughout my time on PRO I've seen my fair share of people asking in chat for people to message them back again because they accidentally closed the chat window.

This has led to a lot of spamming in different in-game chats and sometimes they might never find each other again and then they resort to the forums in hopes of finding them. If they trade, the other party might feel like they bailed the trade and in some rare cases even perhaps false reporting it. All for a simple misunderstanding that could've been resolved by something as small as a system message displaying the name of the participant(s) when you close the chat window.

Suggestion:

I suggest that PRO should implement a new option for when you close a chat window.

Which goes as follows: Should a System message appear in chat with the name of the participant(s) when you close a chat window.

Example drafts for visual look of how it could function:

In-game Chat:

1887559042_Systemmessageonclosedconversations.png.a04d145268678b51cc8cb120f54cdcb1.png

In-game Options Menu - General:

1123601336_Gameoptions.png.378f87590d13367564a29482722563ac.png

Reasoning:

I firmly believe that this small feature/option would help a lot of individuals and strangers alike that may have accidentally closed the chat window during their trade or conversation and who have to resort to spamming other in-game chat rooms to hopefully get the attention of the other party. There are also the potential that they might never find each other again. So that is why I firmly believe this small feature is what could make or break a lost conversation. And also hopefully reduce a few cases of spamming in-game or false reporting of someone bailing a trade, when in reality they accidentally closed the chat window and forgot the name of the user they traded/had a conversation with and then couldn't get in contact with them again.

So to further strengthen my suggestion, here is a PROs (get it "PRO"s... sorry) and Cons list:

PROs:

• Easier for strangers to track down previous conversation(s) in chat for a short period of time. And allow them to pm them again if they need too
  • More visible and stands out in chat
  • It's tailored for trading between strangers
  • Allows the one who accidentally closed the chat window to quickly get back into the conversation
  • May prevent spamming in chat and potentially a few rare cases of false reporting

Cons:

• If the other user sends a message after they left, the chat window will open again
  • Will be annoying if its not a togglable setting for the majority of veteran players
  • Might only be used by a small portion of players
  • This cons and pros list is way too short
Edited by Electrocute4u
  • Like 6

Contributor 

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"

Forum post | Bulba - Discord Bot | Website

MyAnimeList Profile and Stats

Discord Status

spacer.png

• Desumi changed the title to Closing a chat window should print a System message
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Developer

I have mixed feelings about this suggestion.

I don't think that's something we need in this form but I'd like to add a way to see and read old conversations.

That's pretty much impossible right now but once I rework the chat/PM system we have right now most likely using WoW as example I might add it.

Denied.

• Like 1