Beginner help with Kanto dex and economy

Yacobe

Hi guys! I'm really new to PRO (I started 5 days ago). I'm on the Kanto elite four. I haven't fought them because I don't want to leave my friend behind :D, so any questions I have will be about Kanto specifically.

I started out playing pretty much like any Pokemon game, but I realized a few gyms in how important stats would be when I battled a buddy. I grinded for a modest, 30 spatk, 31 spd Gengar that seems to carry pretty easily through Kanto (EV trained and everything! First time paying so much attention to stats since X/Y released :D). Since just one "minmaxed" Pokemon seems so strong, are there any I should look out for? I heard Slowbro is disgusting, especially for bosses, but I chose Squirtle (HORRIBLE IVs on my starter BTW) so I never looked for a decent one.

I really want to take my time and enjoy the grind to build a strong team. I've read bits here and there about synchronize (mostly when I tried to figure out what knockout drops do). 

I actually have a lot of questions, so I'll try to make a little bit of a list.

• Are there any Kanto Pokemon I can sell for decent money?
  • Can I get the other starters in Kanto?
  • Should I try to complete my dex?
  • Can/should I fight bosses?
  • Is there any form of breeding?
  • Can I bring Pokemon between regions?

Thanks and sorry in advance if I'm asking questions you've all answered before. I'm gonna attach my current team pre- elite four. All of the pokemon have almost perfect stats and natures except Dragonite and Blastoise. Dratini is rare; took me hours to get a second (my first was HORRIBLE - careful nature, 7 atk IVs) and I don't know how to get a better Blastoise (but mine has ~10 IVs per stat on average... lol).

PROteam1.png

EDIT: I'm sure Pikachu is nowhere near optimal but it has a light ball, Lonely nature, 29 atk and 29 spd so I've been using him all game 🙂

Edited by Yacobe

@Yacobe

Welcome to PRO! There's several pokemon that are disgustingly good in PRO's PvE, Gengar being one of them. I generally recommend you look out for pokemon whose rarity are common, whose final evolution is a great PvP pokemon (which in the majority of cases will translate well into PvE) and that is easy to train. Some examples may be Machop to Machamp, Geodude to Golem (more for PvE than PvP), Magnemite to Magnezone and Slowpoke to Slowbro. You aren't really focusing on PvE lategame for now (like bosses) but many good PvE story sweepers can also be used for specific bosses and quests, so they'll be useful.

-Are there any Kanto pokemon I can sell for money?

This heavily depends on PvP, basically. It is hard to sell pokemon that are exclusively good in PvE (such as Minun, Plusle or Dustox who are amazing in PvE) but not good at all in PvP. If you are capable of hunting for Synchronise Natu in Route 22, I seriously suggest you try your luck with Timid Gastly in Vermillion Graveyard (though it requires 31 speed IV to be sellable at a good price), Jolly Magikarp in Viridian City or Timid Magnemite in Power Plant. It is a bit hard to hunt PvP pokemon at the beginning of the game but it is entirely possible.

-Can I get the other starters in Kanto?

Yes. Squirtle is huntable in Vermillion City by Surfing. Charmander is available in Cinnabar Mansion. Bulbasaur is available in Kanto's Safari.

-Should I try to complete my dex?

Yes. It gives you access to additional boss fights, quests and specific areas. Also access to legendary pokemon.

-Can/should I fight bosses?

If you are a newbie: yes, after you beat the Kanto Elite 4, grab a few level 100 and challenge some bosses in EASY mode. By the time you have made a boss team you will have fought bosses a few times and be familiarised with them to fight them in harder difficulties. Their cooldown to be refought is 12 days. Take your time! There's no rush. They give a lot of money and useful items.

-Is there any form of breeding?

No, as breeding destroys the economy, it is not enabled in PRO.

-Can I bring pokemon between regions?

No but yes. Once you start a new region you'll have to beat all gym badges in that region with pokemon you find there. Once you beat the 8 badges you'll be able to use your old pokemon again.

Hope it helps!

Lonely Pikachu for story is fine. Pikachu is a mixed attacker and with Light Ball it hits really hard during story. It mainly uses special attacks but it can also use some physical ones like Dig, Volt Tackle and Iron Tail.

Edited by Bhimoso
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!

5 minutes ago, Bhimoso said:

@Yacobe

Welcome to PRO! There's several pokemon that are disgustingly good in PRO's PvE, Gengar being one of them. I generally recommend you look out for pokemon whose rarity are common, whose final evolution is a great PvP pokemon (which in the majority of cases will translate well into PvE) and that is easy to train. Some examples may be Machop to Machamp, Geodude to Golem (more for PvE than PvP), Magnemite to Magnezone and Slowpoke to Slowbro. You aren't really focusing on PvE lategame for now (like bosses) but many good PvE story sweepers can also be used for specific bosses and quests, so they'll be useful.

-Are there any Kanto pokemon I can sell for money?

This heavily depends on PvP, basically. It is hard to sell pokemon that are exclusively good in PvE (such as Minun, Plusle or Dustox who are amazing in PvE) but not good at all in PvP. If you are capable of hunting for Synchronise Natu in Route 22, I seriously suggest you try your luck with Timid Gastly in Vermillion Graveyard (though it requires 31 speed IV to be sellable at a good price), Jolly Magikarp in Viridian City or Timid Magnemite in Power Plant. It is a bit hard to hunt PvP pokemon at the beginning of the game but it is entirely possible.

-Can I get the other starters in Kanto?

Yes. Squirtle is huntable in Vermillion City by Surfing. Charmander is available in Cinnabar Mansion. Bulbasaur is available in Kanto's Safari.

-Should I try to complete my dex?

Yes. It gives you access to additional boss fights, quests and specific areas. Also access to legendary pokemon.

-Can/should I fight bosses?

If you are a newbie: yes, after you beat the Kanto Elite 4, grab a few level 100 and challenge some bosses in EASY mode. By the time you have made a boss team you will have fought bosses a few times and be familiarised with them to fight them in harder difficulties. Their cooldown to be refought is 12 days. Take your time! There's no rush. They give a lot of money and useful items.

-Is there any form of breeding?

No, as breeding destroys the economy, it is not enabled in PRO.

-Can I bring pokemon between regions?

No but yes. Once you start a new region you'll have to beat all gym badges in that region with pokemon you find there. Once you beat the 8 badges you'll be able to use your old pokemon again.

Hope it helps!

Lonely Pikachu for story is fine. Pikachu is a mixed attacker and with Light Ball it hits really hard during story. It mainly uses special attacks but it can also use some physical ones like Dig, Volt Tackle and Iron Tail.

Thanks a ton. You actually answered perfectly for my situation 😄 . While I'm waiting through this week for my buddy to get home I'll hopefully find almost better stats for the rest of my team 🙂 . If you have an extra minute to answer - it sounds like I should prioritize money/pvp mons, since I'm missing access to a lot of 'endgame' PvE mons for bosses and such? And how much value does it add if I train and level before selling?

If you're in story, right now I would just focus on doing Story until you atleast beat the Johto Elite 4, which unlocks you access to several things:
Mt Silver - better training spot aside from Dragon's Den
Route 28 - best place to get synch pokemon
More access to pokemon and headbutt places to be able to get pokemon for Love Island access and to unlock evo and caught data for multiple legendary pokemon quests
Access to many spawns for very useful pokemon for the midgame and lategame (HM Slaves such as Parasect at a high level in MT Silver, Chinglings you can slowly level up to later use to level up other pokemon with Perish Song - Yawn - Healing Wish)
Access to Pinkan Island quest, where many useful pokemon can be caught (Ralts with Trace to help you hunt specific pokemon, and in Pinkan you also have very high level pokemon + 2 bosses + many pokemon often used in both PvP and Bosses in PvE). In my opinion, as a newbie, you should focus on doing Dig Spots, Pokestops and finding the money items around Kanto and Johto and just beating Kanto and Johto's storyline taking your time. After that, before doing Hoenn and Sinnoh you can take your time with sidequests and side areas!

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxydK7CUEwL47Ym7hIkMbSA <- Youtube channel with guides!

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/forum/13-game-guide/ <- Check my game guides (and other's guides) here!