Starting to get into coding/designing!

Ezyquake

I've been in love with programming and designing on games for years now. I've used scripting languages before to make huge codes but scripting is just scripting in the end. What I wanted to ask if you guys had any idea on where I should start C#->C++ and designing basics. I've searched a whole lot on google about these things but there are infinite suggestions and in the end, I could find no answer. Thanks in advance!

[center][/center]

You could start by making a ping-back script to a MySQL server :-)

If that works then you could potentially make a little file uploader to that server :Shy:

176692 I've been in love with programming and designing on games for years now. I've used scripting languages before to make huge codes but scripting is just scripting in the end. What I wanted to ask if you guys had any idea on where I should start C#->C++ and designing basics. I've searched a whole lot on google about these things but there are infinite suggestions and in the end, I could find no answer. Thanks in advance!

First off (and no offence Dupy) ignore the guy above-- it's extremely impracticable to write a script if you haven't even gotten the basics down.

I'd start off with an easy (but powerful) language, like Python and Javascript. Buy yourself an Arduino or raspberry pi and make your own projects.

If you want to skip those (if you have prior knowledge) I'd recommend starting with C#. C++ is good, but not very user-friendly, plus C# is used in a lot more open projects.

As for designing, pretty much all codes incorporate design elements. Though most of the time codes are combined, e.g you write the design in HTML and call it with the main code (usually Js).

Good luck to you.

There's decent classes on udemy and khan academy. I've personally used khan academy and I learned a lot. I'd recommend to start off by learning java, it has some simple things to learn that you can apply to other languages. After you feel like you have a grasp on java, c++ is pretty awesome and you can do a lot of things with it. That's just my recommendation though.

I don't agree with most people in some point, you should learn c++. The basics are all the same and can be used in the same way then most other programing language. The only difference with c++ is the object oriented part, stay away from it until you know the basics.

Basics you should consider learning fast : Learn all the types (int, bool etc...), learn what a procedure is and where it become relevent to use them, what a if is, a while and a case will pretty much let you do anything you want to do.

After that try learning how libraries work and then you should be able to do pretty much what you want with your programm. A huge tip that you should listen too, stay away from any online manner until you know what you are doing otherwise you will never find you bugs if you try to work everything at the same time.

Start by getting familiar with the basic codes and then try a small project like making a basic worm game etc ...

Stay away from 3D if you didn't study other then secondary school, you won't understand anything since it use vectors and matrix a lot.

Sorry for my bad english my primary language is french. Hope it help you a little. If you really want to do it as a full time job, you should consider going to school, as most things you will learn on internet are not based on the efficiency of the code but only the fact that it work.

Take in consideration that you may not get the result you expect the first time you complete your code, it may take a lot of time to get a result that satisfy your criteria.

PS : Dont think that you will become an experimented programmer in a year or two and that you may encounter more difficulty improving compared to others, dont compare yourself with anyone you know, everyone is coding with his own way and it is normal.

PS : Keep in mind that theire is a really huge difference between a working code and a effective code. As a code may work in both case, one may let you have 100 more fps then the other working code that has 5 fps. Keep in mind that you should always use the most effective method even if the previous method was working, it's how you know if a programmer is doing a good job or not.

PS : If ever you start learning the object oriented part, you should try doing your own containers and not to use those created by c++, in that manner you will know if you really know how an object work and how to jungle with pointers. Also learn what inheritance is and what a static class is.

With everything I mentionned, you would have really strong bases.

• 4 weeks later...

The best way I learned is,like this:

Step 1: Think of what you want to do, Game, app, whatever.

Step 2: Map it all out, everything that would be needed in it (example: Game - side scroller) I need levels, inventory, health, enemies, walls, floors, gaps...

Step 3: Start with one piece at a time (IE level design) look up tutorials on side-scroller 2d level designs, start working. (KEEP IT SMALL). Then move on to the next.

Step 4**** IMPORTANT***: finish what you start on, because once you get stuck in the "oh ill start over loop" you wont get anywhere.

Step 5: break it and fix it, over and over.(after you have an understanding of what you type, purposely break the code, wait 24 hours, come back and try to fix it.)

Step 6: Practice Practice Practice.

That's all for now, I'm not going into language specifics because everyone has their own methods. But basically start small and simple, piece by piece and learn what you need to as you move along, trying to learn the general language at all times is going to take a massive amount of time & you will get stuck in that "im getting no where" mindset like I did. (THIS IS AN OPINION). but take it as you like, if you want more specific help you may message me anytime.

The only way to become the best, is to acknowledge the worst.

For even the worst can take out the best, and the best cannot be the best

without the worst. -Nick

1. learn to program

2. download Unity

3. learn to use Unity

4. learn to use C# in Unity

5. create your game

6. use placeholders for all the places you need assets

7. commission an artist or learn to make art yourself

I started coding 2006 and i´m hooked. I would recommend you to start easy Html/css and then move up with php/jquery/c++. I learned by typing code and follow easy tutorials and then later on when i had the basics i started with the advanced stuff and challenge my self with 1 new project each week. Now i´m a advanced web-developer and doing it for a living.

Practice & Patience is the key

codecourse.com is good.

Happy coding <3

• 2 weeks later...