The big Pixelart Tutorial Master Thread

Yuifelwood

Love the costume it looks fairly good already ~

Just need a bit more attention to the shading for the right ear. There's a shade on the top part which would imply the light source is coming from below while the rest of the sprite indicates the light source coming from above.

As for the walk animations of the sprites the leg moving backwards should have a darker outline, as it moves out of the light source's reach.

Other than that this costume is good. :3

Keep up the good work ~

froslass_sig_by_froslassmaniac-dc9gpbz.png

Do not contact staff members for private support.

Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others.

Unsolicited messages will be put in the pearwiggler to atone for their sins.

Love the costume it looks fairly good already ~

Just need a bit more attention to the shading for the right ear. There's a shade on the top part which would imply the light source is coming from below while the rest of the sprite indicates the light source coming from above.

As for the walk animations of the sprites the leg moving backwards should have a darker outline, as it moves out of the light source's reach.

Other than that this costume is good. :3

Keep up the good work ~

thanks

but i have no idea about coloring outline :c

thanks

but i have no idea about coloring outline :c

Well, what I can say about it is that the darker a shade becomes the darker the outline should be.

unknown.png

As you can see in this image the darkest spot in this sprite is the area I just highlighted. However, the outline is the lightest out of all outlines in that particular part of the body. That particular spot should have the darkest outline and therefore be black, while in spots with lighter colors you can shade the outlines into the lighter color that you used in the darker area.

If you do that it will look like this:

unknown.png

• 5 months later...

It's a good tutorial. I tried a few things from here and there. I even studied golden sun a bit. I think the most important things are values,forms,lines and shapes . Forms, you must simplify the forms and the shaping of its shades must be simple too. For example, keep the shapes and lines basic like circles,ellipses,cones,cylinders,rectangles,squares, c, s,straight etc. Value(colors) Picking is not so complex. You should understand hue,saturation,and illumination. afterwards, you should consider the time and atmosphere , or emotion of the entity you are creating. Example, night/dark = blue, purple,black, morning= yellow,red,green,pink , evening = orange,light purple, some dark tone green here and there. Emotions like angry =red, mysterious = black,purple ,sad = blue,grey,brown, etc. Here are some examples and i'm not a master because i'm still trying to master the above.

edit: Oh yeah, you should also have a good idea of keeping good measurements and linear perspective!

slimmalesouth.png.f6c27fe056ce84a0a3d610ae4f49e84d.png

sukilogo48x48.png.ed514afd316bb5d7b5e2704c395e8b7a.png

Edited by ExecutiveBlaque

A nice addition. Thanks for your contribution c:

Love the work you're showing here there is a lot of attention to detail and the shading is properly placed for the light sources you have intended. At most I can say for the first sprite, the arms seem to be lacking elbows giving them a bit of rubber hose vibe. Other than that it's all good.