Absorb from this oddish deals less than 1 damage and won't kill Golbat

Luca834

Hello :Smile:

Firstly, I would like to say this is normal.

That Golabat was level 49 and your oddish level 10. So, almost difference of 30 levels.

Secondly, absorb is not very effective against Golbat. It is resistant to grass type moves and it takes 1/2 damage from grass type moves. So, again the damage is reduced.

Golbat's defense is also good . Absorb's power is something like 20 I think.

So, I don't think so this is a bug.

Sincerely,

GrandWarden

I believe this Is Indeed a Bug

its 1 HP left guys

no matter how weak the attack is, you will always inflict 1 HP damage minimum

that Poke should have killed golbat

Hmm. Maybe the HP was like 2 or 3. But not sure though. It maybe a visual bug also. As sometimes my Pokemons automatically faints even before the opponent attacks. But still, the fainted Pokemon can attack. So, cannot say anything. You may also be right.

:Grin:

I believe this Is Indeed a Bug

its 1 HP left guys

no matter how weak the attack is, you will always inflict 1 HP damage minimum

that Poke should have killed golbat

Hmm. Maybe the HP was like 2 or 3. But not sure though. It maybe a visual bug also. As sometimes my Pokemons automatically faints even before the opponent attacks. But still, the fainted Pokemon can attack. So, cannot say anything. You may also be right.

:Grin:

If u look at the video, you will see Scyther false swipping golbat down to 1 hp

Scyther used False Swipe more than once, so we are sure golbat has only 1 HP left. Also Golbat didnt use any hp recover ability so when oddish comes in we are still sure he only has 1 HP left.

Now it doesnt matter how much effective the move is, if it deals damage, it is at least 1hp. This seems a bug to me too

Yes, I made sure the conditions were perfect for the Oddish to level up fast:

• False swiped to one HP by Scyther multiple times

• Black sludge on Scyther to ensure he faints

• Paralyzed by Magneton and ensure that Magneton faints

• Golbat is fully paralyzed which ensures that my Oddish can hit it

Here is where the bug happens:

• Golbat is at 1 HP

• The Absorb didn't miss

• Golbat survives the attack and kills my Oddish next turn

The issue comes down to how PRO calculates damage (I think), as you can see by the damage calculation I have generated here:

fCG6s50.png

For the sake of this example, I had to use the move giga drain (Showdown won't let me use absorb) which is almost 4x as powerful as Absorb. I also calculated it in the best possible scenario for your Oddish (+SpAtk nature with 31 Sp. Atk IVS) and worst possible for the Golbat (-spdef nature, 1 iv in both spdef and HP). As you can see, with a move that is almost 4x stronger, Oddish is still only doing 0.7% of Golbats life, in the best possible scenario.

Based on your video, Oddish did less than 0.5% damage (due to using a weaker move, and likely better IVs/nature), and as a result, the damage rounded down to zero. This is different (and maybe it is intended, I don't know) than the original games where it is impossible to do less than 1 one damage, other than using False Swipe on a Pokemon with 1 health.

The issue comes down to how PRO calculates damage (I think), as you can see by the damage calculation I have generated here:

fCG6s50.png

For the sake of this example, I had to use the move giga drain (Showdown won't let me use absorb) which is almost 4x as powerful as Absorb. I also calculated it in the best possible scenario for your Oddish (+SpAtk nature with 31 Sp. Atk IVS) and worst possible for the Golbat (-spdef nature, 1 iv in both spdef and HP). As you can see, with a move that is almost 4x stronger, Oddish is still only doing 0.7% of Golbats life, in the best possible scenario.

Based on your video, Oddish did less than 0.5% damage (due to using a weaker move, and likely better IVs/nature), and as a result, the damage rounded down to zero. This is different (and maybe it is intended, I don't know) than the original games where it is impossible to do less than 1 one damage, other than using False Swipe on a Pokemon with 1 health.

Very well explained, thanks for sharing