Include Game Version in File Name

Jamesdh17

I'm primarily making this suggestion because it's just a nice little quality of life change for those downloading/reinstalling the game and I'm hoping it's a very minor change (low hanging fruit).

I'd like to see the game version (either a version number or the version name, like Dolphin Edition) into the zip file (it doesn't need to be in the actual client name). So I was thinking the zip would be downloaded as something like "PROClient_64_Dolphin_Edition.zip".

This might not be useful that often but there are a few things that this does for users:

• It gives us a very fast way (from the download page) to confirm the specific download link we're looking at has the most up to date version of the client
  • It lets us check our version of the client with the version currently available to be downloaded
  • It keeps things like "PROClient_64(1).zip", "PROClient_64(2).zip", ect. from showing up in a downloads folder. This gets confusing if you delete all but the latest one and then have to download the client again.

The biggest thing that inspired this was when I first started playing the game, there was a client update within an hour of first starting the game and without reading the forum/discord there was no real way to know that. While that's not a big deal by itself, for users who aren't yet integrated into the community it leaves a bad taste in your mouth to have to go dig for answers and might lead to some people quitting all together if they just believe the game to be unstable.

I know this might not be possible due to the many possible ways the game client might be getting published but figured I would bring this up in case it wouldn't take much work and the staff/community thought it was worth it.

While not as ideal, another possible solution would be to include the client version in the download page but I know that would require someone to update download.php when doing any updates (which might have to happen if you're generating new download links but obviously I don't know how that's being handled). This would at least solve bullet point 2 which is the most helpful one in my opinion.

Hopefully everything above is understandable and you know where I'm coming from with this. :) Thanks for making the game awesome!

• Like 1

+1

I support this, always wondering what version I am actually downloading; only till I fired up the client then I can see the naming.

This small change will go a long way, if it happens.

I am just a casual player, travelling around the regions, catching and hunting pokemons I find likeable~