help me enjoy pvp

Arthaiser

so... hear me out, i have been playing this game for a while now, in fact i went away and i have come back. i love the game but there is something that each time that i try i cant enjoy, and that is pvp. is a shame since is clearly the focus point of the game as far as endgame goes, is were the true skills are show, the best pokemon battle... is also the only part of the game that all the veteran players care about, as can be seen by all the guilds having a strong pvp presence while there are is really not much going for the endgame pve.

i want to enter this pvp content but as i have said, each time that i try i get destroyed very VERY hard, even when suposedly im playing ranked against people that are around my rank, and since my rank has to be the lowest...

i have quite the list of lvl100 pokemon, they have not the best IVs but i try to catch them with them, also good natures, abilities, and they are EV trained. what i want to know is, if the need to have 31/31 pokemon is needed even for one that wants to start with them or if the problem is more that im a noob when i comes to pvp? if is the second, any advice towards it? like is there anyway to more or less look somewhere info about the pokemons that my opponents are playing to know what moves they could potentially have or things like that?

Noob here, i have more or less 50% winrate at PVP at low ranks.

First, you don't need 31/31 pokes to win, i always look for 25+ IVs on atk/spatk for offensive pokemons and 20+ IVs on defenses for bulky, with speed you don't need 31, but the amount varies with the speed tier you're competing, you can use this list to check speed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2vR3497vIBXJ6lhHtMXJHvfcjiUa8MYtmZWrUN9OnY/edit?usp=sharing

Second, you're probably a noob like me, and the hard part was that most guides i found teaching PvP were bad... I think the best way to start is to copy somebody team (preferably somebody with lots of matches you can watch) and play with then until you start to undestand better how to play.

About the list of pokemons, each month PRO gives you a list with the most used pokes on that month, here's: https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/topic/142666-url

You can use this list and smogon to check the sets people are running, besides this, try to watch other people playing, helps a lot.

• Like 1

Noob here, i have more or less 50% winrate at PVP at low ranks.

First, you don't need 31/31 pokes to win, i always look for 25+ IVs on atk/spatk for offensive pokemons and 20+ IVs on defenses for bulky, with speed you don't need 31, but the amount varies with the speed tier you're competing, you can use this list to check speed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2vR3497vIBXJ6lhHtMXJHvfcjiUa8MYtmZWrUN9OnY/edit?usp=sharing

Second, you're probably a noob like me, and the hard part was that most guides i found teaching PvP were bad... I think the best way to start is to copy somebody team (preferably somebody with lots of matches you can watch) and play with then until you start to undestand better how to play.

About the list of pokemons, each month PRO gives you a list with the most used pokes on that month, here's: https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/topic/142666-url

You can use this list and smogon to check the sets people are running, besides this, try to watch other people playing, helps a lot.

thanks for the help

i havent really see any way to see a "team" to copy... i have searched on youtube and peopel show their battles but dont really show their pokemon, and dont explain why they do things for the most part either, even if the video is a "how to...." there are things that are not explained, like somehow everyone should know them or something.

Yeah, catching a legendary is easier than finding a good channel to watch...

I really really like Terry104 channel, i think its the best by a wide margin, but its in portuguese, i believe the auto-translate works good,.

Here's a video where he show his team:

Although its in portuguese you can see his mons and there's some battles with this team on his channel. He also has the best video on teambuilding i watched.

There's also Belzebel that i like to watch, she has a video building a team and show some of her pokes and also explain what she is doing in most videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRlpvgV2q2ol3jMAYzV79w

There are others, but these two are the ones i watch the most, if you still can't find a team you can ask in the foruns or join a guild and they will help you to build one.

About the things they don't explain, i feel the same a lot... Also, most of the time im battling im using smogon to check my opponent pokes and another tab to check types.

What helped me the most was using the same team a lot and planning how to counter the pokes on the most used list..

I think that part of the problem is that there's no easy way to learn, its just a huge amount of info that you need to put in your brain...

• 3 weeks later...

noob here also , but your ivs rarely matter ( ocassionally it does especially in speed tiers) but other than that 20+ is good enough. Your focusing on the wrong things , i think you want to look deeper into the fundamentals of pvp , look into the guide about teambuilding and then use pokemon from the top usages. Reasoning behind that is you could be the best player and your gona lose if your team is just trash and no synergy. Additionally pokemon in the top usages usually have a good reason that they are being used so much , because they are good.)

[MEDIA=giphy]Tf3mp01bfrrUc[/MEDIA]