Some suggestions from a new player

Bastion46

Of course not.

I am talking about a newbie tutorial menu in game, in order to help in the first steps those who have never played pokemon or those who have not the proper knowledge of the game.

This is what I think newbies need, nothing more, nothing less, and it has nothing to do with the "forum/help chat/link of guides that were constantly being posted".

I don't know how much this would help. Many that are that lost, and haven't googling anything about pokemon anyway are not very likely to use this effectively. If someone was plain new to pokemon, they should look up info about pokemon games in general. I've seen people who needed help with what badges were and how to catch pokemon. Or even worse 'where do I get the best pokemon' - and has just walked out of pallet. The forums serve plenty. While personally I think the forums could be organized to be more accommodating for new players, the ones who need it the most won't use it.

Well, different opinions. But what I think it's really important is, at least. to make an in game tutorial in order to show new players weaknesses and resistances in order to make them understande that the whole game is not difficult and you just need to have the supereffective type against your NPC in order to win. This is my opinion, even to avoid people to spam in chat "How to beat Brock"...

Thats the point in having a help chat, the purpose of having CCs staff, the use of forum in first place.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how much this would help. Many that are that lost, and haven't googling anything about pokemon anyway are not very likely to use this effectively. If someone was plain new to pokemon, they should look up info about pokemon games in general. I've seen people who needed help with what badges were and how to catch pokemon. Or even worse 'where do I get the best pokemon' - and has just walked out of pallet. The forums serve plenty. While personally I think the forums could be organized to be more accommodating for new players, the ones who need it the most won't use it.

Well, different opinions. But what I think it's really important is, at least. to make an in game tutorial in order to show new players weaknesses and resistances in order to make them understande that the whole game is not difficult and you just need to have the supereffective type against your NPC in order to win. This is my opinion, even to avoid people to spam in chat "How to beat Brock"...

Thats the point in having a help chat, the purpose of having CCs staff, the use of forum in first place.

Yes but you don't have to think as me or as you, I am thinkin like a were a total newbie in the pokemon world who is playing for the first time a pokemon mmo game (if you check the help chat is not so rare). These people barely know how to play and often they ask in help chat, spamming for stupid things (like I said "how to beat Brock") and they often don't know how to go to the IRC chat or what Discord is and, moreover, there are thousands of stupid questions in the general support section due to the fact that people often don't know the basis.

So, that's why I thinkl a basic tutorial is necessary. You are free not to think like I do.

From 2015: I'm still here

The problem is so much XP is tied up in trainers. If someone starts with Charmander, and beats all the trainers up to Brock with it, they'll find that they can't beat Brock with him. So you tell him to go catch a Nidoran or Mankey and now he has to grind from level 5 to 15 off of level 5 Caterpies.

People are saying that the game is intentionally difficult and you're meant to use different pokemon to counter your opponent rather than just button mashing with your starter, but the game doesn't give you the tools to do this. Even if a player is smart and realises they need a fighting type to counter Brock's rock type, they can't level the fighting type up without either waiting 1 week for trainers to respawn or killing hundreds of caterpie which give about 40 xp each with you need a thousand to level up. That isn't difficult it's just tedious.

Yeah, this is not bad, the game seems competitive.

But you can not expect a new player to struggle so long to start playing. I think a person should be enticed to play, in this way you can make them quit soon. You think is't normal that i have to be stuck for a week at the second gym?

Its not bad if they are strongest, sure, but this is ok for the late game.

In early game, combined whit the low exp rate, its not to good.

In eny case, I'm not saying to nerf them a lot.

They should make only the early game a little bit easy imho.[/quote2]

if you are stuck for one week at second gym its because you are not good at the game or you didnt play much time at all... playing 3 hours in one ween is nothing... I agree the game is harder but thats what makes it good.

A friend of mine just got the 8th badge on JHOTO and i am with third badge there now, do you wanna know when we started? last monday... Even another friend of mine started yesterday and he is at 6th gym now and he doesnt even play pokemon, just want to try it out but rly enjoying it... The game is completly achiavable...

Yes but you don't have to think as me or as you, I am thinkin like a were a total newbie in the pokemon world who is playing for the first time a pokemon mmo game (if you check the help chat is not so rare). These people barely know how to play and often they ask in help chat, spamming for stupid things (like I said "how to beat Brock") and they often don't know how to go to the IRC chat or what Discord is and, moreover, there are thousands of stupid questions in the general support section due to the fact that people often don't know the basis.

So, that's why I thinkl a basic tutorial is necessary. You are free not to think like I do.

First of all, I lived in help chat, so I knew exactly what you were trying to point up. To answer your question, most newbie tend to avoid using guide, forum,etc. They want a fast respond-answers. They doesn't know what discord, irc is because they didn't even bother googling it. So, if they were to implement a tutorial ingame, can you 100% guarantee that they will not skip the whole thing? They didn't even talk to NPCs (e.g ss anne quest), So yeah, its a gamble. And about the weaknesses and resistances, those NPCs in gym already give the hint afaik. If you were a total newbie in channel, I would just give you a forum/guide link, the rest can be ask in channel or via PM.And again, the use of help chat is to help and to provide players with gameguide info.If you think carefully, you would've notice why they didn't put it in the first place. Its pretty simple. For the general support section, thats the CCs part, if you think its stupid and doesnt worth to reply to, so dont. You gain nothing nor loss anything.