PVP budget sample teams and common sets

Hmsesthetic

Apparently, even if I never played any pvp game on PRO I seem knowledgeable enough to give pvp beginners some help on teambuilding. A question that often came on the table is if I have some affordable teams that anyone could farm in less than a week or a month of play. So i openend the rarity guide by Red found here and get a list of highly competitive pokemons that are failry common in PRO (bye bye alakazam gligar and bisharp, you're not welcome here).

In the long term, I will try to propose some sets for the best common pokemons available (34 are chosen as a start) and give you a few budget sample team to battle with. Do not expect any goof formatting on this topic at the beginning but i'll try to make it a bit more shiny then. Of course, every advice will be well taken and you can always add me on the blue server if you have some questions.

Common Pokemons sets and usage

crobat.gif

Zubat is listed Abundant in many places, so you won't have any trouble finding a good one. He mostly has two playable sets, a sweeper one and a stallbreaker one.

Crobat @ Sharp Beak

Ability: Inner Focus

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Brave Bird

- U-turn

- Cross Poison

- Defog/Roost

The first one is pretty simple. It consists of a high speed statistics combined with good attack and great base power moves to deal as much damages as you can.

Jolly nature is used to outspeed everything in the metagame besides already set up pokemons. Adamant can be an alternative to hit harder.

The ability is mostly irrelevant, Inner focus can prevent some flinch from a random Togekiss Air Slash and Infiltrator works against Protect and Substitute, two moves that are not working at the moment.

Brave Bird hits hard combined with sharp beak for some extra damages because there is no Choice Band item atm. U-turn is to get momentum and setting yourself in a more favorable match-up. Cross poison is a secondary Stab hitting fairy and electric more efficiently than Brave Bird. The last move is in my opinion a toss-up between Defog to remove hazards or Roost to recover health.

Crobat @ Black Sludge

Ability: Inner Focus

EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Brave Bird

- Toxic/Defog

- Roost

- Taunt/Defog

This one is a bit trickier. Having access to recovery via Roost, to Taunt and to Toxic makes Crobat a great Stallbreaker. Howewer, Taunt seems to be bugged at the moment so this set might be clunkier if you replace taunt with Defog.

The Evs helps to have more bulk and a good base stat, you still hurt enough with Brave Bird to not get any points in Atk.

Brave Bird is to hit hard, Toxic to kill slowly some bulkier pokemons such as Slowbro. Roost helps you recover more than Black Sludge. Taunt prevents the staller from using Wish or Heal bell to cure himself, allowing you to kill him with ease. Defog is an option to control entry hazards.

donphan.gif

Phanpy is Occasionnal on some spots. Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin on the same pokemon makes Donphan a real Swiss Army Knife for any pokemon team. Even so there are no gimmicks for Donphan, the flexibility is really great.

Donphan @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def /// 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

Impish/Adamant Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Knock Off/Ice Shard

- Earthquake

- Rapid Spin

This Donphan has the maximum physical bulk possible nd will allow you to stay alive to maintain Hazard Control.

Sturdy guarantees you a Stealth Rock because you won't die on the first turn.

Stealth Rock is the best ability in the game, making the opponent think before he switches.

Knock Off to render the item useless. Ice Shard is optionnal for priority move but switching Def Ev's to Atk might be better.

Earthquake is the primary stab with great damages.

Rapid Spin to control the terrain on your side.

slowbro.gif

Slowpoke is a Common pokemon in many places and he is mostly and almost solely used as a physical wall and a pivot. His set is:

Slowbro @ Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Slack Off

- Calm Mind

- Psyshock

- Scald

The combination of a high base Health and Defense makes Slowbro a huge wall in the game. He also has access to recovery with Regenerator and Slack Off, making him hard to kill without OHkoing. In short, he's there to take some hits and hit nicely back.

Bold nature is chosen to maximise the defense and making Slowbro a bigger wall. Regenerator is the only good ability on Slowbro for 6v6 singles. Evs are set for bulk and a bit of damages.

Slack Off allows you to recover any lost health. Scald hits many things and can provide the brun to cripple physical attackers even more, Surf can be chosen for more raw damage. Psyshock is there to hit the Spdef walls or any water resistant pokemon. Calm Mind allows you to boost your Spatk and Spdef to becom a huge threat to the ennemy team, the alternative is Thunderwave for speedcontrol or some gimmicks like FireBlast to kill Ferrothorn.

WIP Sample teams:

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=35670

One bat to rule them all!

Sample budget teams

CroBro bulky offensecrobat.gifslowbro.gifdonphan.gifroserade.gifarcanine.gifmachamp.gif

Crobat and Slowbro forms a decent core, Slowbro covering Crobat weaknesses with resistances and Crobat killing down things that can threaten or simply be annoying to Slowbro. Calm Mind set for Slowbro to make him a potential wincondition against any non prepared team ( you should be) and Stallbreaker Bat to beat Grass types and spedef wall that Slowbro hates. Crobat can also swith in any Toxic directed to Slowbro and won't suffer from it.

At this point, one evident weakness is Electric. Even tho it is uncommon coverage, a Ground type will help. The two options being Donphan and Mamoswine ( possibly Swampert if you were lucky enough to get a good Swampert in Hoenn), i finally chose Donphan because of Rapid Spin ability and his overall better bulk.

Needing a SpeDef tank, i picked up Roserade to go even more in the bulky offense idea of the team. It brings an Electric resistance and has great survivability. It also beat most of the water types pokemons in play and can bring some hazard to chip down the ennemy team even more.

Arcanine, the poor man Talonflame, has been picked to form a powerful Fire Water Grass core and his potential bulky set, which i picked because there is no Choce Band nor Life Orb atm in PRO. Evs are a bit weird to get as much attack as possible without giving too much bulk, it can be adjusted depending of what you face on the ladder. Otherwise, pretty classic Spedef Arcanine with ExtremeSpeed instead of Roar to revenge kill. If you feel like you're weak to set up pokemons, get Roar instead obviously.

The last pokemon is Machamp, the bulky offense pokemon in excellence. It hits hard and brings utility thanks to Knock Off and Dynamic Punch's confusion. Nothing much to say besides a Flying Weakness that can be hard to deal with considering the strength of Talonflame but Slowbro covers it pretty nicely.

Here are the sets if you want them:

Crobat @ Black Sludge

Ability: Infiltrator

EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 212 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Brave Bird

- Toxic

- Roost

- Taunt

Slowbro @ Leftovers

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Slack Off

- Calm Mind

- Psyshock

- Scald

Donphan @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Rapid Spin

- Earthquake

- Knock Off

Arcanine @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 144 Atk / 112 SpD

Careful Nature

- Flare Blitz

- Morning Sun

- Will-O-Wisp

- Extreme Speed

Roserade @ Black Sludge

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Toxic Spikes

- Sludge Bomb

- Giga Drain

- Synthesis

Machamp @ Leftovers

Ability: No Guard

EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Bullet Punch

- Dynamic Punch

- Stone Edge

- Knock Off

WIP Sample teams:

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=35670

One bat to rule them all!

Hi man, good work, this thread needs more visibility. I will post a sample version of my team once it is finished. Everyone should post their team here (if you have some surprises to keep, just make the sets more standard). PvP Community seems a bit dire we need to teach new pokemon players the way.

My wishlist :

- Epic Tyranitar (almost any nature)

- Epic Jolly Garchomp 31 speed

My shop:

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=38654