How to determine a good pokemon?

Leeardy

Hai guys, I'm very new in this game, so I want to ask you this question.

How to determine that a pokemon is a good pokemon?

My friend said I have to see from its IV, and how to determine that pokemon need a certain IV is from its stats.

Example is charmander stats in URL below.

In the stats, charmander is great at speed and sp atk.

So, is charmander a good pokemon if it has good speed and sp atk IV, or it still need to be good at another stats?

This may be an important guide for me to find and catch a pokemon in this game.

Please your response guys, I really appreciate it.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Charmander_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Thanks Charismo, it does helps me a lot for understanding EVs, IVs, nature and all about it.

But it still doesn't answer my question.

Because I want to know how to determine that the pokemon we have caught is good or not?

Do we have to look it stats like I mention above? Or there is a another way to determine it?

Please, if somebody know how,response to my post.

222295 Top

Hello, as per the Game Guide forum rules:

1. Do not create a guide that is asking a question.

As such, I've moved your thread to the General Game Talk section of forums so that others can help chime in on this discussion.

To start things off, I'd suggest looking at the base stats of the Pokemon in question's final evolution. In this case, that would be Charizard. As you can see, Charizard's base Special Attack is higher than its Attack, meaning that it does well as a Special Attacker. However, this is where you should also start thinking about things like the types of moves your Pokemon can learn. Charizard is capable of learning Swords Dance via TM, a move that boosts the Pokemon's Attack stat by two stages - this means that, should you include Swords Dance in your moveset, Charizard could technically work as a Physical Attacker as well.

The guide that Charismo has included is a good primer to understanding how IVs, EVs, and natures work. I'd also recommend looking at this guide over here, as it goes into depth about how to determine what stats and nature would be important on a Pokemon. It also discusses the types of roles or specialties that Pokemon are best suited for, depending on their stats, typing, moves, and abilities. I think this will help you in figuring out how to evaluate whether a Pokemon is good or not.

PIquvgo.png

RulesTerms & ConditionsPunishment PolicyPrivacy PolicyFAQ

Do not contact staff members for private support.

Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use the proper forum.