Pokemon Pricing (Mostly for Fun)

Gradiusic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36761 28 million for an S Rare shiny. Seems legit.

I am pretty sure this is a sarcastic remark, but not only did you want a Super Rare Shiny like Charizard, you also had it set to be competitively usable with IVs being set to good and nature being perfect. What did you expect?

If you think the pricing is too outrageous you are free to make suggestions. Pricing shinies is easily one of the hardest things to calculate.

It was a sarcastic remark and in hindsight you didn't really deserve it since you actually put work into this, so I apologize for that. But I still stand with that pricing being ridiculous. Even a bad S Rare Shiny is around 7mil in your algorithm and that only constitutes something literally insanely rare. I can't even conceptualize what it even could be. I know that you are the first to attempt such a thing so it obviously is just you trying to create something from nothing which is admirable. Something like this really needs community input in a much broader scale. It's very difficult to do that since people tend to troll when an opportunity arises so it's hard to get a serious answer especially when you're asking how much someone is willing to pay. Of course they'll want to pay less.

DoGPlasmav2.jpg

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

We should probably define price of a pokemon based on base stats more than anything else.

A SHINY pokemon with 01 across the bored will not be that much more worth than a regular pokemon with 01's across the board.

Yet at the same time, a shiny pokemon's rarity should carry it's price a bit.

Maybe we should have a base definity price for rarity/common and such - and the shiny factor would xit by say like 2?

Aka zubat is worth basically nothing. 10k for a decent IV zubat. Shiny zubat with good IVs would be 20k?

37654 We should probably define price of a pokemon based on base stats more than anything else.

A SHINY pokemon with 01 across the bored will not be that much more worth than a regular pokemon with 01's across the board.

Yet at the same time, a shiny pokemon's rarity should carry it's price a bit.

Maybe we should have a base definity price for rarity/common and such - and the shiny factor would xit by say like 2?

Aka zubat is worth basically nothing. 10k for a decent IV zubat. Shiny zubat with good IVs would be 20k?

When you say base stats are you referring to the actual base stats, as your next comment discusses the IVs.

Next let me address your statement: "A Shiny pokemon with 01 across the board will not be that much more than a regular pokemon with 01's across the board."

This is false. It may be true that competitively a Shiny pokemon with those horrid IVs has no worth, as such with non-shiny, but not everyone in trade is a competitive battler, there are collectors/hunters, specifically of the shiny variety that would pay regardless of IVs. If we look at some of the current offers for Shinies that are not competitively viable: I have seen a few Shiny Growlithes hit upwards of 800k, and a Sneasel recently that went up to 1.7mil and a shiny vulpix that is roughly 1.4mil. The reason they are paying this high is not because the perfect is Pokemon its simply because the pokemon spawns relatively uncommonly (when compared to zubats / geodudes etc) to begin with + the fact you managed to hit the 0.01% chance of it being shiny as well.

My sample size of uncommon and scarce shinies being sold is relatively small, mainly because of the fact that it is unlikely to find one in the first place, so my pricing for higher rarity shinies is just a projection based off the current sales.

The "shiny factor" as you call it is set dependent on the rarity of the Pokemon currently with how the formula is written. This "shiny factor" for commons is set to x2, x10 for Uncommons, x15 for Scarce, x25 for Rare and x50 for super rare. And the multiplier affects a set base price that I determined (by trial and error of the pricing of certain pokes, non-shinies) depending on the rarity of the pokemon.

Here are a few things I been trying to figure out that may be able to improve the calculator.

1. Does a shiny pokemon that can be used competitively have additional value (currently on the guide it does)

2. Is the "shiny factor" for specific rarities set to high and what is an appropriate method to determine this factor

3. Are the aesthetic value of the pokemon (aka the popularity setting) more important in pricing than the rarity?

I would just like to say you are going to have to update this constantly. With this game being super new prices are going to fluctuate heavily. For example over time decent pokes should come down but the prices on close to perfect one are going to go through the room as people seek to improve their team with peak pokes. Also there are not a whole lot of money sinks in this game with any impact so im looking for a lot of stuff to inflate down the line as people dont know what to do with their money.

37976 I would just like to say you are going to have to update this constantly. With this game being super new prices are going to fluctuate heavily. For example over time decent pokes should come down but the prices on close to perfect one are going to go through the room as people seek to improve their team with peak pokes. Also there are not a whole lot of money sinks in this game with any impact so im looking for a lot of stuff to inflate down the line as people dont know what to do with their money.

It is highly unlikely that pokemon will decrease in price, as the money flows in at a constant rate the decent pokemon will still increase a value, but the epic ones will skyrocket.

I have already thought about this and I can just include an option that will can adjust for inflation. I can either adjust the inflation rate as I see fit, or have the players do it themselves.

How are sneasels.. rare?

I have 17 sitting in my Pc and I have gathered 3 Razor claws. ._.

I'd get shiny sneasel's to be rare - but all in all sneasels arn't THAT rare.

Most of mine just have bad natures so I don't even bother to try to sell them - but based on this list your saying I could sell them simply because their sneasels? even if their stats arn't good?

38408 How are sneasels.. rare?

I have 17 sitting in my Pc and I have gathered 3 Razor claws. ._.

I'd get shiny sneasel's to be rare - but all in all sneasels arn't THAT rare.

Most of mine just have bad natures so I don't even bother to try to sell them - but based on this list your saying I could sell them simply because their sneasels? even if their stats arn't good?

I wouldn't consider Sneasel a rare personally, probably fits the category of Scarce better, but do not forget that this games has like 10 different rarities or so and I tried to limit down to 5 and since the rarities haven't been released you need to use your own judgement. If I set my calculator to "Scarce" and put the worst stats possible on the sneasel it comes out to "3,240" pokedollars. So technically the calculator says any sneasel caught has a value, but you almost need to use your own judgement again, just because it has a value doesn't mean people will pay for it. Typically most Pokemon that are priced under 10k on the calculator will most likely never be sold unless you are simply trying to sell it to a new player who wants one to use through his/her run of the game.

Though you have a point when it comes to being Perfectly IVd and a Bad Nature the calculator gives out too high of a value. So now...

I made 1 edit to the calculator and that is increasing the severity of being "bad" natured. As nature affects the stats more than the IVs do, I put a bigger penalty (80% reduction) if the nature is bad. As such selling a "horrid" nature pokemom, such as Modest Sneasel now will output a value of 0 (unless EVs and 100's are checked).

Yeah, and then you'll also need to compare a market price.

Say a sneasel thats worth 100k - is being sold by a player for 70k.

Anyone selling a sneasel worse than it for 70k will be judged harshly and the entire market will have to adjust downward to make room for that ONE players choice of price.

Now Say that player is KNOWN for insanely cheap prices and spends all their time collecting rare/good pokemon and selling them for less than the market.

Nobody but him will be truly making a profit because everyone will buy from him over anyone else.

That's why things like this don't go very far in a community based economy.

You can fork up a calculator, but all your doing is separating smart businessmen from dumb ones.

A smart person would calculate the entitled cost, look at what others sell for, then aim for the best price for a decent profit.

Aka

Perfect IV Sneasel, we'll say is worth xxx amount.

This amount is what everyone on the market aims to sell it for.

Say Person A only has one perfect IV sneasel - That's worth xxx amount.

but then person B has 3 almost perfect sneasels - say defense or sp.atk or sp.def are the downfall stats - And sells them for just 10k under what the perfect costs.

What you'll get is everyone buying person B's sneasels because its less in price than the perfect. The person with the perfect will inherently make much LESS of a profit than the person with the almost-perfects.

That's the false driving stake of a player-produced economy. You have to constantly adjust prices into considering what players are selling, not just what something is statistically worth.

I remember on this old game I used to play, Aion online.

There was this sword with HORRIBLE stats- utterly horrible. But with an insanely rare drop rate because of it's beautiful skin.

You could reskin a weapon onto another weapon.

As a low level I got this rosen sword (It was a vibrant shining white sword with beautiful blue roses etched into the hilt and along the blade.) I was like "This thing is so shitty."

And so I perma storaged it.

It was a rare drop so i didn't want to toss it, yet I didn't think it was worth anything -

Well later on closer to endgame I was really into brokering/marketing the economy

I would spent millions of ingame currency to buy items off the market that were being sold for less than the average price - then resell them for still less yet more than I bought them.

I made on average about a 1.6x increase?

So it worked.

I was looking through weapons one day and I came across that EXACT same sword I had in my storage - for 3,000,000,000 currency.

That was A-LOT. I was like WUT THE FUCK. So I retrieved mine from storage and sold it for 2,999,999,999 just to see if anyone would buy it.

Sold within the hour.

I was speechless.

That was ALOT of money - but they were so rare that people were willing to pay for them simply because of rarity, and when I say it was beautiful - it was BEAUTIFUl.

I had currently at the time been using a pink rose variant that was alot more common and prettier in my opinoin, but a player ran economy can do some crazy stuff if not controlled or regulated.

Aka Me going in and reselling stuff and controlling a good portion of the herbal market - which was my specialty as a potion maker. Enabled it to stay stable. People had a set price everything was worth - if someone tried going outside of that medium i pulled them back into it. They still got profits from me buying it, but in reality I had more of a profit. People would see me walking down the streets of the capital and ask me what herbal items were worth and I had a list of all of them saved to a document based on rarity/community demand - and I made sure the market stayed stable for a while.

Left for a month came back to find kids selling 30k worth herbs for freaking 2k and everyone having to sell them for so cheap that nobody would sell them for more than 10k and I was just like "nope not dealing with it." because it was like nobody was making a profit based ont he effort.

Moral of the story - the community can screw over a means to handle or hold the economy. Simply by one person walking in and throwing everything out of wack.