Need tips to learn PVP

Skym4rshal

Hi im pretty new to the pokemon universe games wise but i watch the shows. what i find fascinating is challenging myself by competing with other players how does the pvp system work what tips could you give a complete newb to it ? so pokemon i should aim for what sort of levels are needed to begin the pvp battling etc ?

skymarshal.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Before you jump into PVP matches, make sure you have at least a good grasp on:

• Types - how each type interacts with each other, what's super-effective, neutral or ineffective against what;
  • Base stats - the six stats each of your Pokémon have, and what roles they'd be better at fulfilling;
  • Battle stats - possible stage increases and decreases on one or more of those base stats, that only last during the battle they're applied on, and that can be either self-inflicted (Swords Dance, Withdraw, Nasty Plot, Amnesia), inflicted by/on your opponent (Growl, Tail Whip, Sweet Scent) or activated by held items (Petaya Berry, Salac Berry, Apicot Berry);
  • Abilities - special skills that your Pokémon inherently possesses, what activates them, when do they activate, how to use them to your favor - note that while a species may have access to more than one ability, a Pokémon may only have one ability as its own;
  • Natures - each Pokémon has a different nature, that either increases one stat by 10% while reducing another by 10% (Adamant is +Atk - Sp Atk, Timid is +Spd - Atk), or is neutral and doesn't alter any stats at all (Hardy, Serious);
  • Effort Values (EVs) - points your Pokémon earns that add to their stats, most commonly by battling (each Pokémon yields a different number: defeating a Magikarp yields 1 Speed EV, while defeating a Chansey yields 2 HP EVs), but they're also attainable with the use of specific consumables for each stat (Protein, Zinc, Calcium). A Pokémon starts with 0 EVs, and you can attribute a max of 252 EV points to a stat, with a limit of 510 overall (only 508 being actually usable) - EV gains can be amplified with the use of Power items (they all cut your in-battle speed by half, but increase EV gain, like how Macho Brace doubles EVs gained after a battle while every other Power item - Bracer, Anklet, Weight, etc - gives you +8 on their specific EV);
  • Individual Values (IVs) - fixed hidden values that affect each of your Pokemon's base stats separately, randomly assigned from 1 to 31 - these are defined when you catch a Pokémon, and cannot be changed;

Teambuilding

• Movesets - what's worth having on your team, choosing between physical and special moves, damaging or non-damaging/utility moves, and so forth;
  • Secondary Move Effects - if and what are the potential secondary effects of your moves, and who's affected by them (Leaf Storm decreasing your Sp Atk in two stages, Dynamicpunch confusing your opponent upon connecting, Waterfall may flinch upon contact);
  • Roles - what position each Pokémon on your team occupies, whether it's better suited to be a sweeper, a cleric, a tank, a lead, a revenge-killer, and so on;
  • Weaknesses - not only the type weaknesses your team has, but also type matchups that your team struggles to deal with (like having too many Pokémon being weak to Ground types, or being unable to deal with threats like say a Garchomp or a Forretress);
  • Counterplaying - applying your knowledge on your team's strongest and weakest features in order to maximize the former and minimizing the latter, having different ways to deal with multiple/common threats, not relying on a single strategy to win all matches, adapting to the flow of each battle;
  • Held Items - understanding the different held items and their uses, if they need activation before being used (pinch berries, for example), and what secondary effects they may carry (Life Orb dealing recoil damage, Black Sludge healing only Poison types, etc);

Battling

• STAB - an acronym for Same Type Attack Bonus, a 50% damage boost of an attack when it is the same type as one of the types of the Pokémon using the attack, and whether it's better to use a STAB move versus a super-effective, non-STAB one;
  • Status conditions - ailments that affect your Pokémon's performance in-battle, their effects (Burn cutting your physical damage dealt in half, Paralysis reduces Speed and has a 25% chance of making it unable to move for that turn, etc), and whether they're non-volatile (remains outside of battle and after being switched out - Burn, Poison, Freeze, etc), volatile (inflicted by a move or ability from another Pokémon and wears off when switched out of battle or when a battle is over - being binded, Confusion, Cursed, etc), or while a Pokémon is in battle;
  • Prediction - trying to make intelligent guessing based on collected experience and information throughout the battle, and taking moves in advance of expecting your opponent to make a certain play;
  • Setup - moves that buff your Pokémon's stats (Quiver Dance, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, etc), and spotting ideal moments/opportunities with using them during the battle;
  • Entry Hazards - status moves that alter the battlefield and interact with Pokémon switching in/entering after those were set, either by dealing damage (Stealth Rock, Spikes), spreading status conditions (Toxic Spikes) or reducing stats (Sticky Web), as well as how to get rid of them (Defog, Rapid Spin) and if your team needs either of them.

Although this is an extensive list and some may argue that it covers things that someone who's just beginning on the PVP world shouldn't worry about yet, I believe this is a good starting place for a solid foundation that'll serve you for many battles and seasons to come. Have fun on the competitive world!

• Like 4

You have to make a team first. You can choose any pokemon you like (ofc not banned poke), think about the pokemon can counter it and bring a good counter for it, you will have a great team, i don't suggest you choose all stall pokemon but 3 tanks 3 dame is a best team i think. But the best way to be a good PvP player is playing PvP, losing will make you become better and better.

[MEDIA=giphy]4QF3B3nXS9bdxci1gI[/MEDIA]

My Personal Shop

My wishlist

• 3 weeks later...