Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur or maybe even Pikachu

Sizzilingmeln

Hey guys i recently just got banned from Pokemon revolution. So since im bored lets have a discution! Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur. Maybe even Pikachu... Who knows! This forum will only be based off of statisics! So no saying "Charmander looks cool" we need stats, info and proof to prove your side! If your gonna be immature and call me an "idiot" for choosing a fictonal monster as my favortie, Then this is not the forum post for you!

Im on the squirtle side! Squirtle is the 2nd most popular starter of all the staters in kanto! Squirtle is the water type starter and in my opinion the best starter to start in all of kanto! Squirtle is strong against the first, as well as even against the 2nd gym. Squirtle is also good against MT.Moon and Rock Tunnel. You also get a water TM super early on into the game which is extreemly useful. This means after the 2nd gym. Squirtle has the strongest base power move then the other starters. Early game is super important, Early game your starter, No doubt is the strongest pokemon you have in your party. Late game you should have a diverse enough team to deal with anything. Therefore early game really does depend on which starter is the best. Its in the name a "Starter" Pokemon. Squirtle is weak to the 3rd gym and 4th gym. But you should have Rock types and pokemon with fire type moves to deal with the electric and grass type gyms. Early game is everything. After the 5th gym starters really start to fall off in how powerful they are compared to your other pokemon.

Charmander is litterally the worst starter you can choose. Before you get mad at me, Here me out. Charmander is weak against the 1st and 2nd gyms. This is HUUUUUGE. You are going to stugle really hard if you choose charmander. You are stuck with low power based moves like Ember and metal claw untill you are at the 4th gym. Which you should already win becayse you have an advantage. Charmander is the worst early game and is no different to the other starters late game, Making it the worst starter to choose.

Bulbasaur is a tricky one! Bulbasaur is super effective against the 1st, 2nd and resistant to the 3rd, Why isnt this #1? Grass types have to be te worst to start out against wild pokemon, early on. There are alot of Flying, Poision and Grass and Bug types which are either resistant or super effective against bulbasaur. Making it almost imposible to level up to wild pokemon. Making it painful to level up early game, Since wild pokemon is Half the exp you get early game.

Here is a video to support my claim even more:

i recomend you skip to 6:00. Thats where the true debait starts

This forum post is only for fun. Each starter have there strengths and there weaknesses. You may choose any starter you like.

From personal experience of playing pokemon for years my Tierlist is (bear in mind that i have not played pro so far just downloaded it so i don't know if the gym leaders/e4 have different pokes or movesets from the normal ones):

For Beginners:

1. Charmander: Altho his typing can fuck him over for the first 2 badges , he can make it up for in the later gyms and E4. He resists Earthquake (commonly used at the 8. gym leader and by bruno) and nearly nothing on your way resists him with the exceptions of the 7. gym leader, Mono water pokes (after misty very rare) dragons (and fairys but i don't know if they are in this game and already with that typing). He has decent speed stats,, a rarely resited type , good spatk/atk stats (ability to play both or even hybrid) and a decent enough , while not big , movepool (Focusblast, Airslash , Flamethrower , Fireblast , Roost, EQ, Acrobatics, Sworddance, HP)
  2. Squirtle: decent throughout story (especially the first 3), tanky stats and his only weaknesses are nonexistend besides 3-4 gym (and rival starter). Good moveset (also able to go hybrid, or abuse things such as EQ and Dragon tail) and the points that you have brought up (getting his first strong move at gym 2 which is way earlier than any other starter).
  3. Bulbasaur: Here are 3 things that hold Bulbasaur down from being anything good for beginners! Typing, Bad to slightly below mediocre base stats and shitty movepool. I could go on and on about what is so bad about bulbasaur, but those 3 sum it up quite well (if anyone is still interested for a discussion i can go on just ask me)

Now , not every player is a beginner and if you already played pokemon games before or even tried to play it competitively (showdown or anything alike) then the list above may not be for you so i will make a different list of my honest opinions about these 3 starters (altho i don't think any of these 3 are good they do have some good redeeming facts).

1. Charmander: This little reptile finds his way on the top but i can't say much positive about him besides that he is a decent and working sweeper i guess. Like i said above he has access to some good moves but not many. His okay-ish stats make him use choice items but both speed and spatk aren't that high and he gets outdone by better pokemon. His typing makes him weak to Rock/Lightning attacks and make Ice not resistant anymore (which can be annoying vs the first 2 E4 enemys). Then there is also the fact that later in the game there is no Grass/ Pure ice type pokes that he can abuse (besides exeggutor) which makes him a below average but atleast working sweeper.
  2. Bulbasaur: Good players can build a team around him to make him work! I have no clue how weather is handled here and how good it is (or which weather clause this server has or if there even is any) but in a good sun team bulbasaur can shine. He has decent Movepool for a sun Team, he can be a physical wall or a sun sweeper. (Depending on which movesets/gen is in the game). If Hiddenabilitys are not in the game tho he will drop all of the praise from before and probably tie or go below squirtle again.
  3. Squirtle: Below mediocre dmg , Tankiness without sustain (leftovers is not enough) , has spin but isn't fast enough. Everything that blastoise does screams mediocre, anything that he can do is done better by multiple pokemon and there is not really any worth in picking him. (spinner/water hitter = Starmie, Wall= chansey, Surf = Starmy/Lapras)

Haven't started myself (but even if you cant chose pikachu you could always catch him in the viridian forest) but im gonna do tomorrow!

Upside would probably be: One of the best lightning pokemon of that gen (if we don't count zapdos i would say top 2 but still massively worse than jolteon)

Downside: Like i said its dmg output is massively worse than jolteon (90 spatk base instead of 110 , also speed is down which can be usefull vs things like gengar to outspeed). And unless you want to use flareon/vaporeon it makes no sense to not just use the free eevee you get for jolteon (if you want to have a lightning pokemon to begin with).

I have no clue which pokemon are catchable and where so maybe you can even catch pokemon of other gens in kanto but i just assume you can't. And if you only want to play with pokemon out of that gen it makes most sense to go jolteon if you want to play most optimal but doing something for fun is also okay its just less good

I think bulba is the best one: op tank with healing, stall, types that cover one another. This combo: sleep powder + leech seed + giga drain + synthetize + leftover with spdef and hp trained makes him unfair, easily kill even types that was suppose to counter him. Leveling isn't though as you said, since it'll beat the 4 first gym without any effort: +4 offense bonus on 1st gym, +2 ofense and defense on 2nd one, defense bonus on 3rd and defense bonus on 4th. It'll naturaly level in those gyms until you reach water spots and that opens leveling possibilites for another pokes of ur team on field travels. Of course there are many bird, poison and bug types that may check bulba, but a team aren't made by just one poke, a simple rock type will cover all of that and you can catch really early on the game, so no problem at all.

Edited by Yagato

interesting take on and yes i have to agree that this makes him A LOT easier to use in general but his top 4 usage is still subpar.

He is tanky yes but:

Lorelei : will insta kill him with ice attacks (they are faster, and at most 2koe him even with all the healing he has no time to setup).

Bruno: He will setup on onix but the other 3 can potentially have ice/fire moves so he is only good for those two.

Agatha: Anyone can kill him besides arbok (because its super weak) and potentially haunter because of weaker base stats.

Lance: Can kill tyranitar , wall dragonair (potentially not sure how good the stats are) and depending on the moves also wall gyarados (big maybe) while the rest can 1-2 koe him.

Gary: Im not sure which pokes he has (in case of pikatchu) but his general team of pidgeot + Alakazam instakill him while Rhydon gets setup and killed.

he then usually has a fire , water and plant pokemon (with bulbasaur starter its fire starter) where the fire and grass pokemon (if not the starter exeggutor) will also kill him.

________________________________________________________________________________

He definitly deserves to be on the second spot alongside squirtle , they both have niche usages as walls. Bulbasaur has the sustain advantage which can be hard to setup (unless overleveled af) and squirtle has the type advantage (nearly no weak attacks incoming besides the grass pokemon of gary , thunderpunches of brundo and maybe energy balls of agatha?).