Is the beggining of the game too hard on newcomers?

Crimsondragonex

94209 well, I'd like to hear your thoughts about this

is the game unwelcoming at lower levels, or better put, at the first two gyms?

what would you do to change it?

well, most of the players is a new players when they start playing PRO, and all of them get through 1st and 2nd gym

and the harder the game is, the more challenging and fun the game, is it not?

[glow=red]

[/glow]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

94315 i saw some people complain about it..

PRO giving the way to beat it if u want find a bit..

route 22 giving poliwag at night and mankey to beat brock..

viridian forest giving budew to beat brock and misty..

and pikachu to beat misty..

so nothing to complain about so hard beating brock and misty or something like that..

Oh man is that a statement. That's definitely a statement... No one's complaining. It's a discussion. And as someone who knows the ins and outs of Pokemon, this game still throws curve-balls at pros at the very beginning and screws us over. Like as Willturner5 said. That freakin' Starmie and it's Ice move.

Anyways, I feel like the game doesn't... prepare you well enough? The game doesn't really give you a feel for what the bosses are going to be like until you go to fight them. And this is a problem thoughout the game as well, most recently I struggled with this in the Game Corner and 5th Gym. All the goons were easy, Giovanni was an unexpected nightmare, even with a fighting and a water type. Then of course all the psychic Pokemon... and then the boss having Poison. Had no idea what to expect.

yeah, exactly

the ''boss trainers'' have good teams with good levels and movesets, but wild pokemon and average trainers around them don't have a good enough level or are the same level as in the official games

I can appreciate a proper hard mode pokemon game, but this level difference is... weird

in another words u just want a simple game with an easy way of leveling??

then u shouldn't play MMO sir..

no MMO simple in everything..

i pick pikachu for my starter..

that clearly a disadvantage for beating brock..

and i never complain about how hard pikachu beating brock..

there is a way if u want to find it..

Actually we're arguing that perhaps the game should be generally harder, to make it so that the bosses don't take us by such extreme surprise. What I want is better balance across the board, if that means making trainers harder and wilds higher level, or if that means making bosses easier, so be it.

If you could, stop being so judgmental and immediately acting as if we're complaining or are wimps.

so nothing to complain about so hard beating brock and misty or something like that..

yeah, exactly

the ''boss trainers'' have good teams with good levels and movesets, but wild pokemon and average trainers around them don't have a good enough level or are the same level as in the official games

I can appreciate a proper hard mode pokemon game, but this level difference is... weird

Actually we're arguing that perhaps the game should be generally harder, to make it so that the bosses don't take us by such extreme surprise. What I want is better balance across the board, if that means making trainers harder and wilds higher level, or if that means making bosses easier, so be it.

If you could, stop being so judgmental and immediately acting as if we're complaining or are wimps.

he's just fishing for replies at this rate

he would've gotten mine if he atleast put the effort of writing properly

as for the topic at hand, yeah, more consistent levels would do it I believe

In my opinion it's a bit more challenging than the handheld games, but isn't an mmo supposed to be challenging? The leveling is finde, even without membership. I remember that i had problems against brock, since i picked charmander as first pokemon. My last Pokemon games were 3rd gen (hoenn) and rom hacks based of those mechanics. I had to adapt to the new 6th gen xp mechanics and all, but that was just fine, since i knew how to beat challenging pokemon trainers with type advantage. So as a experienced Pokemon player i'd say it was nice to have a challenge.

However, i can't get into a new players situation, since i play Pokemon for quite a long time (since I was around 6 years old). I didn't take care much of hints and stuff, so i'm not sure if the start actually is "noob" friendly. however we have a help chat, people should ask in there if they need help. I think this compensates the lack of experience for new players.

Altho, the only really really challenging thing for me is johto, but there are more and more ways implemented to make it easier (even in kanto), as example: headbutt trees. in johto headbutt trees' pokemon are a bit higher in their level, which means it's a bit easier to farm xp. Also i had level 65 enemy Pokemon after the olivine gym (where my pokes were around lvl 45), this also got lowered. after olivine gym the level of trainers was changed to 45-50.

Tl;dr: For an experienced player like me it was quite nice to experience such a challenge, instead of easy running through the game.

It also seems to me that the PRO team is always working on the balance.

New players have to bite in the bitter apple and try to find a way for themself. For now they'll have to stick in help chat and learn by reading or trial and error.

[glow=red]-This is an MMO, it's NOT supposed to be easy-[/glow] :Angel:

Seibuza_Sig.png

he's just fishing for replies at this rate

he would've gotten mine if he atleast put the effort of writing properly

as for the topic at hand, yeah, more consistent levels would do it I believe

lmao..

1st and 2nd gym kanto make u almost crying..

try johto then..

94473 In my opinion it's a bit more challenging than the handheld games, but isn't an mmo supposed to be challenging? The leveling is finde, even without membership. I remember that i had problems against brock, since i picked charmander as first pokemon. My last Pokemon games were 3rd gen (hoenn) and rom hacks based of those mechanics. I had to adapt to the new 6th gen xp mechanics and all, but that was just fine, since i knew how to beat challenging pokemon trainers with type advantage. So as a experienced Pokemon player i'd say it was nice to have a challenge.

However, i can't get into a new players situation, since i play Pokemon for quite a long time (since I was around 6 years old). I didn't take care much of hints and stuff, so i'm not sure if the start actually is "noob" friendly. however we have a help chat, people should ask in there if they need help. I think this compensates the lack of experience for new players.

Altho, the only really really challenging thing for me is johto, but there are more and more ways implemented to make it easier (even in kanto), as example: headbutt trees. in johto headbutt trees' pokemon are a bit higher in their level, which means it's a bit easier to farm xp. Also i had level 65 enemy Pokemon after the olivine gym (where my pokes were around lvl 45), this also got lowered. after olivine gym the level of trainers was changed to 45-50.

Tl;dr: For an experienced player like me it was quite nice to experience such a challenge, instead of easy running through the game.

It also seems to me that the PRO team is always working on the balance.

New players have to bite in the bitter apple and try to find a way for themself. For now they'll have to stick in help chat and learn by reading or trial and error.

[glow=red]-This is an MMO, it's NOT supposed to be easy-[/glow] :Angel:

well, I'll stick to my statement that the level balance is kinda weird and can be changed

if that cannot be changed, I'd place Audinos as a rare spawn or a trainer on every route before a gym so emergency leveling becomes kind of easier

I don't know if it would be good but it's worth a try

also, if you like difficulty and challenge, make sure you play Pokemon Volt White/ Blze Black if you haven't already, it's challenging pokemon done extremely right

94569 if that cannot be changed, I'd place Audinos as a rare spawn or a trainer on every route before a gym so emergency leveling becomes kind of easier

I don't know if it would be good but it's worth a try

well there are trainers in almost every route before gym battled ( i did the nugget bridge and route 25 before misty -> easier leveling). also you have to watch out: if your pokes already are on the same or just +3-4 levels than you probably have to train a bit more in them. So far the kanto wild poke encounters are just fine in my opinion. the one that bug me most are johto

Seibuza_Sig.png

Who better than a newcomer to give his opinion?

I only had some difficulties with Brock because I didn't have anything but a weak Budew against him. Next gyms were a walk (even Misty's Starmie wasn't a problem for me) until I got to Saffron Gym, where I'm currently stuck

I see no reason to low the difficulty of the game. A challenging game is more fun, isn't it?

Yeah I admit this game is a little bit hard but wait until you play pokemon volt white 2 or blaze black 2 not only the rom itself is challenging , I turn on the mode challenge , guess what happen the 1st gym leader has 6 pokemon and they all high lvl and there are 2 gym leaders u can challenge in each city and thats what a call a hard , challenging pokemon game

620491_trainercard-Tyano123.png

Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Being fairly new to this MMO I don't find the beginning of the game too challenging but I really think that the money rewarded from trainer battles is way too low. I just beat Misty and only got like 350 pokedollars, it took a couple tries for me to beat her but for the reward to be that little it kinda feels like a slap in the face.