Available to Proxy Ports

Guest sant0ro

Guest sant0ro

As i can see, a lot of people love Pokemon. And i really think a lot will try to play PRO in School, Work, or places that exists Firewall. The thing is a lot of ISP's have specific Firewalls.

As yours probably using C# and Mono, i can suggest to using Multiple TCP Listener (if the game use TCP Architecture)

The idea is Multiple Binding with ConnectionTimeOut.

1. The Default Game Port, that is where Dedicated Connections are made

2. For who has Firewall, a secondary Port, commonly isn't good use (443, 90, 22, 21) Such these Ports Are Really Specific, and Some Environments by default use they for other softwares. (Since the problem isn't the Connection to the Port, but, a valid example if you set your MySQL Server to Port 443, people that will try DoS can "accidentally" do spooling in the MySQL Port. As MySQL try to Decode the Packet Data as MySQL Data, i saw times that crashed the Main Server Task...) So ironically a good port is "8080" the fact is a lot of Games uses this Port as Proxy Port.

In my opinion the Best Solution in this case isn't use TCP/UDP Sockets for the Game, the fact is we know HTPP (80,443) is in every place an opened port. (as far i know).

A good approach is using Web Sockets, since you can also Secure the PRO Client <=> Server Connection with TLS, and Patch a SSL Certificate in the Game for Authentication with Client and Server. Since RSA isn't anymore a good approach.

This in some points is good, since you can immediately know who is doing DoS, and with a Secured SSL Connection that isn't possible. DoS uses Denial Acknowledge from HTTP (if is a HTTP Bruteforce), a SSL Connection doesn't allow Client doing connection if isn't Authenticated. So simply the DoS software will not be able to connect to PRO Server being blocked Immediately by Firewall, as the "software" didn't auth with PRO SSL Certificate.

Also if yours re going to use SSL, use Lastest Ciphers available also Private Key, that enforces the "cracker" to doesn't create a replicate of the Certificate.

As i know the Internet Servers (ISP's) does Dedicated Connections mainly in HTTP Sockets, since the most thing used in Internet is the WWW.

A bad point if the DNS Servers Goes Down, a fast solution is using Directly IPV4 connection or if is available (74% of the PC's of the World are IPV6 ready, and 54% of the Routers too) a secondary IPV6 Connection too.

For C# we have great Socket Systems, like the New Microsoft Azure's DotNetty, inspired in Java's Netty.

Really fast, and ready for Clustering and Scale.

Other point is for yours website. Considering using SSL in pokemonrevolution.net You can get it free, since this is a "project" at StartCom (they give Free SSL if the Website pass the Availability Check)

Again, good luck!

I'm mainly saying that, because my work have firewall so i can't play :/