Fly and other HM use

Vegeta

Here's a suggestion and everyone wins:

1. HM Fly is available to everyone. However when you use it, you land at the roof of a Pokemon Center where an NPC charges you a small fee to land there (if you don't have enough Pokedollars prior to flying there you will be told you cannot fly there).

2. The farther away you decide to HM Fly to the more Pokedollars you're going to have to pay to get there. Moving from Cerulean to Vermillion? That'll be 200$. Moving from Cerulean to Cinnabar? That'll be 1,500$. Obviously that's just a basic example and the $ amounts would be scaled and balanced for this over time as Staff & Players decide to tweak it when they think its too much or too little money.

3. Region to Region travel REQUIRES the Subway. You cannot HM Fly from Kanto to Johto to Hoenn to Sevii Islands etc. etc. You must HM Fly to a Pokecenter and then use the Pokecenter's Subway system to go from Region to Region for a fee.

4. Players who donate/PRO Members can be given a "Fly Pass" that decreases the HM Fly fee by 50%. This gives incentive for players to donate while not giving them free travel ability. This allows for everyone to have access to it but not giving a donating Player a huge advantage over a normal Player and keeps the in-game money sink for both types of Players.

5. Additionally a "Subway Pass" can also be offered that decreases the Subway fee by 50% OR for a 1 dollar donation a player can be given unlimited travel for a month. Just like how in real life people can buy a Bus Pass for a month and have cheaper travel around their city or free travel around the city for the month as much as they want. The "Subway Pass" donation idea makes more sense because less people would be using it compared to HM Fly and you don't want HM Fly being given away for free by donating because then you lose a crucial money sink. Whereas traveling region to region will be less commonly used by comparison AND would normally be cheaper than HM Fly anyway.

Effectively all of the above covers the MAIN issues everyone in this debate has. It keeps the money sinks in the game for every player. It allows every player access to a very convenient form of fast travel from city to city (region to region when you include the Subway). And offers some form of donating benefit for players while not breaking the overall idea of HM Fly & Subway for non-donating players.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing that should be adjusted are the prices for the subway imo, that wouldnt involve scripting a whole new mechanic again ~.~ i like the idea with the subway actually, its just too expensive imo, i havent used it once yet.. 2k should be fine imo, same as region travelling

the only thing that should be adjusted are the prices for the subway imo, that wouldnt involve scripting a whole new mechanic again ~.~ i like the idea with the subway actually, its just too expensive imo, i havent used it once yet.. 2k should be fine imo, same as region travelling

I'm going to offer an example scenario for you:

Player Jack is in the Seafoam Islands. He's currently trying to finish a quest that requires him defeating Articuno and then going back to Cerulean City to talk to Bill. Jack defeats Articuno and leaves Seafoam Islands. He realizes its going to be annoying traveling from the Seafoam Islands to Cinnabar/Fuschia to get to the Pokecenter to use the Subway to get back to Cerulean. Whereas if Jack had HM Fly, he could immediately after stepping out of Seafoam Cave go directly to Cerulean without having to HM Surf to one of the two cities and then interact with the Subway.

You would effectively erase 2 annoyances for the player by removing the need to go to a nearby city just to use the Subway to get where he needs to go by being allowed to pay a fee to HM Fly to where he's going. Now imagine later on in the game when the Devs decide to maybe do their own storyline for players to experience. And the new maps involve a huge landmass with only 1 Pokecenter in it. Do you know how annoying its going to be for Players who are 10 minutes away from that Pokecenter to travel all the way there just to use the Subway to go somewhere else? When they could just use HM Fly and go right there by paying a higher fee?

Convenience is KEY to making players happy in the long term and keeping them playing your game. If you keep adding in inconvenient things you're going to slowly annoy them to the point where they're not going to care about even logging in to deal with them. And that's a huge negative. That's why World Of Warcraft is losing players A LOT.

I was reading and I had seen that there is some sort of misconception that fly is somehow "unbalanced", please explain how?

For one, you cant fly without the HM, you have to previously visited the town, you have to own a Poke able to learn the move and also a badge "unlocking" the ability to use the move out of battle. So on top of all that why should flying and the use of other HMs be a money sink? It doesnt make any sense to me at all and Ive talked with quite a few people and we all came to the same conclusion.

So can someone please explain what makes the ability to fly unbalanced. Its literally just a way to travel town to town only, and only to places youve already been.

We shall fly like birds together! Really though I said this a while back - (Idea For Flying

Yes, We need flying. And it should be free. And the subway shouldn't be 5k. I haven't even found the guys brother guy as what is the point.