Grinding for the Elite Four

Gehrman

Even if you want to make the game grindy there are better ways to do it.

Making xp required to level proportional to the XP yield doesn't make it more grindy because everyone who knows about it just levels to 100 in the unevolved form to skip the grind.

Making the XP you get from wild pokemon makes the game less grindy once you've unlocked the map because you can fight even level pokemon and get way more XP than you can get in the Nintendo games.

This kind of stuff doesn't make it hard for people at end game to level their pokemon to 100, as was the stated intention. Al it does is make life hard for new players.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not asking for much. I don't even need an overhaul of the experience system.

It's as simple as making another floor in a few locations with stronger Pokemon to "grind" on. *Sigh* I honestly hate grinding, but if that's how this game is, make it so I'm not a 16th of my experience bar per fight.

"Tonight... Gehrman joins the hunt...."

Actually i dont mind the grinding part,fine for me,the only thing that rlly rlly is annoying and takes a lot of fun especially for a pokemon game is that ure FORCED to not let ur pkmns evolve.

i can understand the reasons behind it,but the differences r just way 2 high,for no real reason.

doesnt help the game at all.

• Like 1

seafoam island b4f is the best place to grind in kanto because of the common golducks and golbats. second evolution pokemon give way more exp than first evo's. for example at victory road, it contains common geodudes with sturdy and machops. the pokemon @ seaform b4f max out @ lv39 but give twice the xp.

Everyone I know noticed at least 10 years ago that lvling a whole Team is a waste of time, exp and life.

Go for overlevel → overkill.

Beat Kanto E4 with 2 Pokémon Lv. 91 Charizard, Lv. 80 Gengar. Only grinded to Lv. 17 before the first Gym, never even once after.

126202 I agree with you OP but most people on this forums are selfish and don't care about new players so they don't want the devs to spend time fixing it.

This is the problem:

1)Evolved pokemon take more XP to level. Once you have a team at max level it is easy to power level any other pokemon you want to 100 while unevolved, so this only punishes new players.

2)There are no areas that have equal levle wild pokemon when you are progressing through the story. You are always fighting stuff 10-20 levels below you.

3)They changed the forumla for how much XP a wild pokemon gives so it follows an x^2 relationship to level rather than a linear relationship. So in a real pokemon game a level 20 Rattata gives twice as much XP as a level 10 Rattata, but in this game you get 4 times as much XP. Add on top of that the reduced XP for fighting lower level pokemon from Gen 5 and it's no wonder everything is so grindy when they force you to fight low level pokemon.

Anyone who defends the current system either doesn't understand how it works or just wants it to stay like this so they can exploit it to get ahead of other players. XP in this game needs a complete overhaul, it's the biggest problem the game has.

1)having a team at max doesn't make it any easier to level lower level pokemon as switch training is essentially useless and there is no exp share so I actually don't know what this point means

2)when you are progressing through the story if you're using an unevolved pokemon you will be 10-20 levels higher than the pokemon you're fighting but they can be evolved which gives them a significant stat boost on you and the amount of xp you get for killing those pokemon is still on a good gradient to continue progressing with your pokemon, at no point does it take more than 5-10 battles to level if you're following the natural game progression until endgame and even then until you evolve your pokemon it's not that bad bf4 seafoam on a slow leveling pokemon will still take only 10~ fights to level each time around the 70's

3) the formula for xp in the game makes it a lot less grindy than it would be if you were just facing pokemon with standard base levels of xp to give

the leveling system in this game is designed to force you to wait to evolve your pokemon until they are fully trained and if you're not doing that of course it is way too hard it would be better to start with a new level 5 pokemon than to try to level a fully evolved pokemon from 60-70 but if you're doing that you're probably just not playing the way you're intended to and that's not a valid complaint

Personally I think the problem is XP system that force pokemons not to evolve until max level. While evolutions is one of the most interesting feature in pokemon games as the awesome feeling seeing your baby pokemon grow stronger and stronger through many forms. It is boring if you spend almost all your adventure with a basic pokemon until it is level 100, until your pokemon become more awesome than ever and then you realize that most of things to use that power on have gone. So I think it is better not make the XP required to levelling so much more after evolutions, even if it does please make it a little so trainer have more choice that keep basic form for a bit faster leveling or enjoy stronger forms. Hope this helpful and ... love this game :)

• Like 1

Yeah i think the biggest problem here is the exp calculation mechanic. PRO actually has mistaken the meaning of base xp . I saw a discussion that some people said evolve pokemon will level up slower, because their base exp is higher. Here is the main problem. Base exp yield has a function to determine how much xp we got after battlling pokes. So for example, if we battle bulbasur and ivysaur, we will get more exp when battling with ivysaur because the base exp is higher, but base exp doesn't do anything with the amount of exp a poke need to level up. So if we have lvl 99 gengar, and lvl 99 gastly, the exps needed to get to level 100 is the same. Pokemon never make an unevolved poke easier to level up.

I evolved my gengar at level 35 and now i had a massive 800.000exps to level it up from 95 to 96. I trained it in mount silver, and got approx. 14000 exp every battle, which means i have to battle for almost 57 times to level up.

If you dont evolve your pokemon, you only need about 1/5 times exp (gastly) in total to level up until 100. I hope the team can change this whole mechanic.