Newbie Team Help (Kanto Story)

Tehdood

Current team is Ivysaur (22), Fearow(27), Horsea(25), Paras/Snubbull (HM Slaving).I just arrived in Vermillion and following the Kanto story walkthrough. I am trying to build a rounded team to get me through the story first and then worry about the E4 later once I'm more established and have resources to grind with. The issue I am having is that my team feels weak unless I have a type advantage. Against normal pokemon it feels like a toss up. Sometimes I crush them and other times I seem to get the short end of the stick.  Trainer battles are tough if I don't have any type advantage as well and I've been knocked out quite a bit. I feel like I'm doing something wrong or missing something. Not sure how to proceed at this point as the team feels weaker and weaker the farther I progress in the story.

I did ask this same question on the Discord and all I really got was, "Get Gengar and Gyrados. All you need for Kanto and don't evolve until 95, then use Rare Candy". Problematically this doesn't really mean anything to me as a new player. After searching the Discord I've noticed this seems to be the go to answer but no one seems to want to explain how it works in practice. Searching Google also doesn't return much of anything either.

I'm contemplating restarting on a new account so I can pick a less weak starter or going back to the lower areas to catch other Pokemon I may have missed.

Edited by Tehdood

Hey! 

I will help you in a brief.

If you want to start with new that will be a great move. Choose Charmander as your starter as it has advantage over bug and can be easily trained to 17-18 by the time you reach Pewter. along the way don't forget to take the free Pokemon at Viridian Maze, you can get the Pokemon even tho you don't have flash... Use Google to get the walk and work accordingly. Push limit and get a dragon rage tm at the Viridian Maze. Learn to Char and beat Brock and move forward The trouble would be at Mt. moon so I will suggest give a try to buy magikarp at Mt. Moon Pokecenter and try levelling it by 20-30 it's easy levelling put first switch poke then atk with stronger one. I would suggest you to not to evolve any of your pokemons. On the way try to catch a poke that can use dig whi h will help you later in-game. Move forward to Route 24 to gain extra exp. for char, then try battling misty this will be a pain but she is easy moving forward in game will be easy. Make sure to save 60k for the bicycle and 30-40k for a story gengar