What's up with swampert

Radox3

I am currently playing on on a discord server with a pokemon bot, when i realised that Swampert doesn't learn any physical water moves

That got me thinking: I know swampert can use special attacks effectively, but if you make swampert stronger on physical attacks, why did they not give him a physical water attack that can be learned without tm/hm/tr/move tutor? Like even it's signature move was a special attack  https://mobdro.bio/ 

I found that the only physical water moves swampert learns is dive, waterfall, liquidation and flip turn. But all of these are locked behind a tm/hm/tr/move tutor. IMO it's stupid

If anyone knows why that's the case I'll gladly be educated (if it does make sense)

Edited by Radox3

Originally moves (physical or special) were decided by it's type. All eeveelution type moves (like fire, water, etc) were special, and the other ones were physical. That changed in gen 4 though. Some loves were changed from physical to special, or from specisl to physical, like waterfall, but the reason behind that type of moveset in swampert might be the leftovers of the previous mechanics.

• Doakes locked this topic