My pokemon can not learn all their old moves

Ghostmaster

1. 1.

PRO Username: GhostMaste

Have you looked at the FAQ to solve your issue?: Yes

On which server issue happened: RED

What have you done before the problem was there?

What have you already tried to solve the problem?

Description and Message

Hello! It seems all of my pokemon are not able to learn all of their old movesets. For example I just bought two 30+IV Clefables with magic guard. Neither of them can learn cosmic power or minimize from old move tutor or egg move tutor. One of them knows moonblast and the other cannot learn it. It seems all of my pokemon work this way. Is their a way to get a pokemon and guarantee it has the moves u need? Also is their a way you can learn say a level 35 move even if you caught that pokemon at level 54? Thanks for any advice!!

148322 PRO Username: GhostMaste

Have you looked at the FAQ to solve your issue?: Yes

On which server issue happened: RED

What have you done before the problem was there?

What have you already tried to solve the problem?

Description and Message

Hello! It seems all of my pokemon are not able to learn all of their old movesets. For example I just bought two 30+IV Clefables with magic guard. Neither of them can learn cosmic power or minimize from old move tutor or egg move tutor. One of them knows moonblast and the other cannot learn it. It seems all of my pokemon work this way. Is their a way to get a pokemon and guarantee it has the moves u need? Also is their a way you can learn say a level 35 move even if you caught that pokemon at level 54? Thanks for any advice!!

Hi can you check this link for the moveset? https://pokemondb.net/pokedex/clefable

The clefable nearly has limit move, which only can learn from previous evolve (relearn only work if moveset have in the pokemon current stage only) For example, Clefable will never can relearn the MoonBlast as it not have in moveset, only in Clefairy moveset

148322 Hello! It seems all of my pokemon are not able to learn all of their old movesets. For example I just bought two 30+IV Clefables with magic guard. Neither of them can learn cosmic power or minimize from old move tutor or egg move tutor. One of them knows moonblast and the other cannot learn it. It seems all of my pokemon work this way. Is their a way to get a pokemon and guarantee it has the moves u need? Also is their a way you can learn say a level 35 move even if you caught that pokemon at level 54? Thanks for any advice!!

Hey Ghostmaster. In all of the pokemon games, evolutions requiring stones typically only have a handfull of moves, Clefable in included as one of these. The reason Clefable cannot relearn cosmic power or moon blast is because it has a different learnset from clefairy and doesn't actually get these moves from levelling up as can be see in this bulbapedia link. I'm not sure whats up with Minimize as it should be able to get it from the move relearner.

Yes you can get a lv35 move for a pokemon that spawned at lv54. Just take it to the move relearner like you normally would.

You said "it seems all my pokemon work this way". Could you give some more examples please?

148322 Hello! It seems all of my pokemon are not able to learn all of their old movesets. For example I just bought two 30+IV Clefables with magic guard. Neither of them can learn cosmic power or minimize from old move tutor or egg move tutor. One of them knows moonblast and the other cannot learn it. It seems all of my pokemon work this way. Is their a way to get a pokemon and guarantee it has the moves u need? Also is their a way you can learn say a level 35 move even if you caught that pokemon at level 54? Thanks for any advice!!

Hey Ghostmaster. In all of the pokemon games, evolutions requiring stones typically only have a handfull of moves, Clefable in included as one of these. The reason Clefable cannot relearn cosmic power or moon blast is because it has a different learnset from clefairy and doesn't actually get these moves from levelling up as can be see in this bulbapedia link. I'm not sure whats up with Minimize as it should be able to get it from the move relearner.

Yes you can get a lv35 move for a pokemon that spawned at lv54. Just take it to the move relearner like you normally would.

You said "it seems all my pokemon work this way". Could you give some more examples please?

Hello thanks alot for reply this kinda clears things up! So I would have to have clefiary relearn those moves before I evolved him into clefable? If so it sucks I messed that up with 30+IV pokes. Even if my Clefable already has moonblast, your saying if I forget it for another move it will no longer become relearn-able? Only reason I ask this is because both of my clefables have different moves they can learn from the Move tutor that the other cannot learn.

If your pokemon has already learnt a move like moonblast, even if you chose to forget it, it will still be redeemable by the move tutor. Also you said you bought 2 clefables, did you buy them as clefairies? If so what level? because that may be why they were trying to sell them so eagerly because if they have not learnt the moves as clefairy, they won't be able to re-learn them as clefable as far as I know.

148729 Hello thanks alot for reply this kinda clears things up! So I would have to have clefiary relearn those moves before I evolved him into clefable? If so it sucks I messed that up with 30+IV pokes. Even if my Clefable already has moonblast, your saying if I forget it for another move it will no longer become relearn-able? Only reason I ask this is because both of my clefables have different moves they can learn from the Move tutor that the other cannot learn.

That's right, if you forget moonblast it won't be relearnable. Relearnable moves that your Pokémon already knows aren't listed in the move relearner. This might be why there's different moves in the move tutor?

If your pokemon has already learnt a move like moonblast, even if you chose to forget it, it will still be redeemable by the move tutor. Also you said you bought 2 clefables, did you buy them as clefairies? If so what level? because that may be why they were trying to sell them so eagerly because if they have not learnt the moves as clefairy, they won't be able to re-learn them as clefable as far as I know.

How I was aware move tutors worked is that they do not allow Pokémon to relearn past moves that they knew at one point, they allow pokemon to relearn lower level moves of that evolution. So regardless of whether they learnt the move as a clefairys, they would not be able to relearn it as a clefable.

Oh yeah your right. My bad my info was wrong, I had thought once your pokemon has learned said move that its evolution does not forget it, that is interesting. I probably got confused with another pokemon MMO that I used to play that I won't name. But yeah your right Darckstar.

148729 Hello thanks alot for reply this kinda clears things up! So I would have to have clefiary relearn those moves before I evolved him into clefable? If so it sucks I messed that up with 30+IV pokes. Even if my Clefable already has moonblast, your saying if I forget it for another move it will no longer become relearn-able? Only reason I ask this is because both of my clefables have different moves they can learn from the Move tutor that the other cannot learn.

That's right, if you forget moonblast it won't be relearnable. Relearnable moves that your Pokémon already knows aren't listed in the move relearner. This might be why there's different moves in the move tutor?

How I was aware move tutors worked is that they do not allow Pokémon to relearn past moves that they knew at one point, they allow pokemon to relearn lower level moves of that evolution. So regardless of whether they learnt the move as a clefairys, they would not be able to relearn it as a clefable.

Thanks so much for clearing this all up you really helped! I guess my last question would be do different move re-learners teach your pokemon different moves, or are all the move re-learners the same throughout the game? I know the daycare guy teaches your pokemon egg moves but I wasn't sure if there are other move relearners such as him that might teach your pokemon pre-evolution moves and so on?

148949 Thanks so much for clearing this all up you really helped! I guess my last question would be do different move re-learners teach your pokemon different moves, or are all the move re-learners the same throughout the game? I know the daycare guy teaches your pokemon egg moves but I wasn't sure if there are other move relearners such as him that might teach your pokemon pre-evolution moves and so on?

Ah, this explains why I was a bit confused by you questions earlier. The man in the daycare center is not a "move relearner", he is counted as an egg move tutor. Move relearners are npcs that only teach your pokemon moves their evolution learned at a previous level. Move Tutors are npcs that teach your pokemon a move they don't naturally learn.

There are a number of move relearners scattered around the cities. There's one in Cerulean, Saffron, Blackthorn, and one more somewhere in Johto :P . Each move relearner should give exactly the same moves for a specific pokemon. I think theres an egg move tutor in each of the daycares.

For a list of move tutors you can check out Sesshomaru's Guide.