Visiting Japan in the fall for the first time

Letitrip

So I'm visiting Japan for the first time this August with my father. My father is Japanese and I'm half Japanese and in my mid twenties. Recently as a way to become closer to my parents, as people do as they get older, I tried to pick up the language over the last 2 or so years. My dad didn't teach me and my brothers Japanese growing up because he didn't want my mom who's white to feel left out. Admittedly, my Japanese sucks. I can only say basic phrases but my vocab is slowly coming along. I don't see myself making any huge strides in the course of two months but we'll see what happens. Were visiting Yamagata, the countryside where his family owns a farm, Tokyo and a couple more prefectures. Anyone ever been there? Any recommendations of places I should visit?

157534 I took a date out for sushi once, never trying it myself; pleasantly surprised. Supposedly it's a big commodity there - try it!

I think that was racist not quite sure :v, jk. Maybe ask ur dad what should u visit there, he was there half of his life right?

===============================================================================================================

twitch.tv/manusan

instagram.com/manuniek

157534 I took a date out for sushi once, never trying it myself; pleasantly surprised. Supposedly it's a big commodity there - try it!

I think that was racist not quite sure :v, jk. Maybe ask ur dad what should u visit there, he was there half of his life right?

He was there until he finished highschool than left. Right now I know for sure were planning on visiting Yamagata and Tokyo. I plan to visit Akihibara while in Tokyo, the area known specifically to sell manga/anime. I'll probably research some places we could sight see. Were planning on getting the train passes and staying for a week.

He was there until he finished highschool than left. Right now I know for sure were planning on visiting Yamagata and Tokyo. I plan to visit Akihibara while in Tokyo, the area known specifically to sell manga/anime. I'll probably research some places we could sight see. Were planning on getting the train passes and staying for a week.

Check some famous youtubers vlogs r trips in japan it might help a lot!

===============================================================================================================

twitch.tv/manusan

instagram.com/manuniek

I've been there 3 times myself since the missus is from Tokyo. Since we're on this forum I'd suggest the Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo obviously >.< Odaiba, Tsukiji fish market, harajuku, night life in Roppongi if you like that, Yoyogi park is really nice, Tokyo Disney Sea (They serve alcoholic beverages, not to be confused with Disney Land which is next to it), the Robot restaurant is hillarious impressive and super weird, Meiji Shrine would probably be super crowded but is a top tourist spot, Ginzai is also nice for shopping, i recomend going to yakitori places the food is just amazing, the boats going through the rivers in tokyo are nice, cant remember the names of em tho, yakabune maybe, something like that anyawy. Go to a onsen, if you got a tattoo you can try to cover it up since many Onsen's don't allow people with tattoo's (cos of the connection tattoo's have with the Yakuza) and since we all play pokemon and prolly watch anime Akihabara go there for electornic, games, general otaku culture, be served coffee by beautiful maids etc lol. Asakusa is a nice place to go also the sky tree (it's close)...That's what i can remember from the top of my head atm, shout out if it's something you're wondering about :)

157573 I've been there 3 times myself since the missus is from Tokyo. Since we're on this forum I'd suggest the Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo obviously >.< Odaiba, Tsukiji fish market, harajuku, night life in Roppongi if you like that, Yoyogi park is really nice, Tokyo Disney Sea (They serve alcoholic beverages, not to be confused with Disney Land which is next to it), the Robot restaurant is hillarious impressive and super weird, Meiji Shrine would probably be super crowded but is a top tourist spot, Ginzai is also nice for shopping, i recomend going to yakitori places the food is just amazing, the boats going through the rivers in tokyo are nice, cant remember the names of em tho, yakabune maybe, something like that anyawy. Go to a onsen, if you got a tattoo you can try to cover it up since many Onsen's don't allow people with tattoo's (cos of the connection tattoo's have with the Yakuza) and since we all play pokemon and prolly watch anime Akihabara go there for electornic, games, general otaku culture, be served coffee by beautiful maids etc lol. Asakusa is a nice place to go also the sky tree (it's close)...That's what i can remember from the top of my head atm, shout out if it's something you're wondering about :)

This is great. I heard about the Tsukiji fish market! It does seem like somewhere I'd want to check out. Night life probably not since I'll be with my father the whole trip. But if I can learn enough Japanese one day I'd love to live and teach in Japan possibly. How have you managed to pick up the language? Were you warmly received as a foreigner? Were you asked to speak English a lot?

I have a cousin who lives in Japan (several years) and I visited some of the prefectures and some of the great cities. Though to answer some of your questions in general..

157580 How have you managed to pick up the language? Were you warmly received as a foreigner? Were you asked to speak English a lot?

Japanese people do make you feel welcomed (though it depends on the question of if the person is friendly or stubborn)

I haven't actually needed to speak actual Japanese as my cousin could though, I did took my time and also took Japanese for two years in a class. I already picked up some recommended words to say such as "Thank you" and Aizuchi so I don't look rude.

Though to tell you something, if your father is going on the trip with you, you will mostly be fine. Just try to keep your distance and don't be rude because your father would be the main person scolding you if you do something rude or inappropriate.