My Top 5 Anime of ALL TIME (comprehensive list)

Npsuper

Hey everyone! I'm currently on a lot of adderall and waiting for a phone call so I figured this would help kill some time :Shy:

Disclaimer: These are my OPINIONS. Not facts. So please don't tell me my list is "wrong" lel.

The order of the list is based on how well the animes fit my criteria of what a good anime should include:

PLOT, CHARACTERS (development), ANIMATION/MUSIC (not the most important but still can make/break an anime) and lastly OVERALL IMPRESSION/IMPACT - to me this is the most important one.

(yes I've seen and enjoyed Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Fairy Tail - but sorry to burst your bubble there are better anime's out there)

Here goes!

1. HUNTER X HUNTER (2011) - This anime is nothing short of an absolute masterpiece. I've seen over 40 animes at this point and never have I seen one as impactful or well done as hxh.

PLOT: HxH is anything you could ever want from a shounin anime. It takes you on a journey through a unique world with mysterious powers (trying not to spoil) full of excitement, plot twists, and moments that hit you right in the feels. For anyone that hasn't seen it yet, hxh has a slow start. If you're just beginning it, you may think it's childish or a kids anime. Let me tell you right now, it isn't. It SOOOO isn't. As the show progresses it gets more and more intense, and at some points- it's downright dark and brutal. When you get the the chimera ant arc (best arc in anime history) you will literally be $h!tting yourself. HxH gets WAY BETTER with every season/episode so whatever you do, don't drop it because of the slow beginning season. -It's just to orient you with the characters and their personalities.

CHARACTERS: The characters and character development in hxh easily scores 10/10 A+ kappa. Every single character in hxh has a unique personality and adds something to the show. Since theres 148 episodes (currently) so the show gets a chance to delve into every single character and unravel their motives and natures. The gon and kilua that we see in the first season are basically clean slates and throughout the show they go through some insanely difficult experiences and we see them grow and develop from every trial. But even more so the villains in HxH are some of the best in anime. There are no dumb "I just want chaos and destruction" villains like we see in most animes. Every badguy has a real meaning behind what they are doing and even though they are badguys we can't help but feel for them and even like them.

ANIMATION/SOUNDTRACK- HxH is beautifully animated by the best animation studio of all time (MADHOUSE) The fight scenes are fluid and fast and you get a real sense of how strong some of the characters are. Every punch leaves a ton of impact. Trust me, it blows naruto out of the water. They literally went all out with the animation on this one. The soundtrack is so beautiful and memorable. The range from happy-feel-good music to death and despair music really brings out the feels in every scene. I could go on and on about it but you have to hear it for yourself.

OVERALL IMPACT- I laughed, I cried, I came in my pants during some of the fight scenes. I've never gotten feels from an anime like I have from hxh and I HIGHLY recommend anyone (even if you don't generally like anime) to give HXH a chance.

2. DEATHNOTE

PlOT- The plot of Deathnote alone makes the show stand out from all other anime. Without giving away anything crucial it's basically (for the most part) a showdown between two masterminds trying to do what they think is right. The show is extremely psychological and well thought out. Every move has it's meaning. Every action has it's consequences. In one word, Deathnote is Brilliant.

CHARACTERS- The characters in deathnote are extremely complex. Everyone has their own values and sense of moral justice that reflects their actions and decisions throughout the anime. It's amazing to watch everything unfold and the suspense is too real!

ANIMATION/SOUNDTRACK . While the animation is nothing insane or epic, it is everything it needs to be. There are no fight scenes or insane action. Just intense psychological drama and suspense- which is animated exactly as it should be. The Soundtrack is also badass and very fitting to the excitement.

OVERALL IMPACT- Deathnote is probably one of the most well thought out/executed animes I've ever seen and it's brilliance is a spectacle in it's own right. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit deeper.

3. FULL METAL ALCHEMIST (Brotherhood) - Just focusing on brotherhood here. Although the original was also very good, I believe Brotherhood was the way FMA was intended to be.

PLOT- If you don't know the underlying premise of FMA yet, I suggest you google it right now. The plot itself sells the show. However, the last season is where FMAB really shines. Don't want to ruin it for you, so you're best off googling a quick summary to get you interested and then make sure you push through till the end.

Characters- Although there isn't CRAZY character development in FMAB, every character gets a good amount of focus on them, and we get to learn more about the side characters and why they do the things they do. Ed and Al are pretty stable throughout, however they definitely mature as they progress through all the obstacles and challenges they face on their journey.

ANIMATION/SOUNDTRACK- I personally enjoyed the FMA soundtrack more than the FMAB soundtrack, although both are still stellar. The animation however of FMAB is amazing!! The fight scenes are extremely well done and choreographed nicely, and some fights (especially the one sided ones) are just amazing to watch. There was definitely no holding back on the animation budget here.

OVERALL IMPACT- FMAB is an incredible adventure anime and is a joy to watch, and then the last season hits- and completely bumps the show up to masterpiece lvl. Don't wanna ruin it. Go watch it.

4. CODE GEASS

PLOT- Another very psychological anime- like deathnote but with more action and a "greater world scale" Code geass has just about everything. Superpowers, Mechs, Politics, Kings, Highschool student life. If you're into that kinda thang, Code Geass is for you. The first half of Code Geass is pretty solid on it's own, but it really shines in the second half- where most of the crazy $h!t goes down.

CHARACTERS- Code geass does an amazing job at zooming in and out from the big picture (and it's a pretty huge picture) into the characters that make up the story. There's a lot of background and side plots happening (almost like game of thrones) and they all come together for the epic conclusion towards the end of the show. Similar to deathnote, you never really know who the goodguys or badguys are, and you get a real understanding of everyone's personal motives.

ANIMATION/SOUNDTRACK- id give both a 7.5/10 Nothing crazy, nothing terrible. Does what it needs to do and does it well. But not much more.

OVERALL IMPACT- Code Geass has some slow parts, but when it's going at full speed, it has some of the most epic moments of any anime out there. You will get hit in the feels. And you will be on the edge of your seat for a good part of it.

5. STEINS GATE

PLOT- Steins gate is a very different anime from the ones mentioned above. The first 10 or so episodes are quite slow, otherwise this would have been higher even on this list. However, EVERY EPISODE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. If it's your first time watching the anime, pay attention to the details, not ruining anything major- it's got time travel. The second half of the anime is in a league of it's own. Soo many feels, soo many intense choices/moments. And an ending that will make your balls tingle. It goes really really deep and basically from 0-60 quite fast. Be prepared.

CHARACTERS- The characters in this show are extremely well done. Especially the main character. Okabe goes through some insane development over the course of the anime and it's really incredible to watch.

ANIMATION/SOUNDTRACK- Nothing over the top. There is (almost) no fighting in this anime so the animation is similar to deathnote in that it does what it needs to do, and does it well. The Steins gate Soundtrack is absolutely beautiful. It really helps you get into the drama and suspense and does a fantastic job taking you through all the introspective moments of the anime as well.

OVERALL IMPACT- If you can ignore the slow start- this anime is a masterpiece. It's not very long, but in it's 25 episodes (including the OVA which is a must watch) It takes you on an incredible journey of a complex genius going through an even more complex crisis. Once this anime hits it's stride you will literally be swept away and probably binge watch it all in one day =P

Honorable mentions: (these are shows that are fantastic as well, just not AMAZING enough imo to make the top 5 list

Attack on Titan

Tiger And Bunny

SAO (season 1)

Seven Deadly Sins

Soul Eater

Elfen Lied

Akame Ga Kill

Parasyte

Would love to hear your thoughts, feedback, and recommendations as well! Feel free to spark up a convo with me in game too! user: NpSuper

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did watch 2/3/4 (amazing anime) should I watch hunter x hunter? I mean isnt it just too long? Didn't hear about Steins Gate though, I'm looking forward to watch it I believe!

===============================================================================================================

twitch.tv/manusan

instagram.com/manuniek

157622 I did watch 2/3/4 (amazing anime) should I watch hunter x hunter? I mean isnt it just too long? Didn't hear about Steins Gate though, I'm looking forward to watch it I believe!

You gotta dive into it! It's literally such an adventure (no fillers) so it keeps your attention throughout. Ur gonna wish there were more eps ;)

157678 1 - Saint Seya

2 - Dragonball Z

3 - Pokemon

4 - Digimon

5 - Yu Yu Hakusho

those were probably my faves + naruto until i started watching more anime in highschool. Did ya know hunter x hunter was written by the same guy who wrote yu yu hakusho? its basically a more well-done version of yu yu. They have a TON of similarities.