make certain information public

Fredrichnietze

1. 1.

ok so please read this before you comment.

in the spoiler there is a list of things im suggesting be made public. reasoning for this is:

~bug testing "how do we the player base know if it is bugged or not? is this pokemon supposed to be in X area? is something supposed to be implemented or no? is this game breaking flaw intended? do staff even know?"

~delaying the inevitable "players can figure out most or all of this out anyway over time and create guides. are you going to re program the game after every guide"

~difficulty due to ignorance is a bad mechanic. a system that is only difficult if you do not understand it, is a bad system. someone will figure the system out and then everyone will. some players will share this info with everyone putting everyone on equal footing. some will only share with a few giving them a edge over everyone else.

~ is pokemon still hard after you read the guides and walkthroughs? if the answer is yes then the information is not breaking the game. if the answer is no then the game is too easy and needs to be fixed.

~equal footing. if everyone knows the same information then no one has a edge over anyone else. this is a competitive game not single player.

continued reading

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/28/mechanic-spoilers-beyond-i-am-your-father/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/27/game-mechanic-spoilers/

the list

pokemon locations including day/night. everything is in dex and once you see all the pokemon you can make a guide easy. if staff post it then bugs will be easier to find.

encounter rates iffy. someone could spend 10 hours in the grass and keep count then calculate the %'s but realistically not happening everywhere. matters in values discussion slightly but eh~

implemented move list

implemented tutors list

implemented tms list

implemented ability list

implemented pokemon list

implemented item list

yes i know there is a wiki but this info is not there and it's better on the forums AND the wiki. and yea i know it's a lot of work, but it's work that does not require programmers.

discus

Guest ProEngineer

I am going to discuss the topics that were listed in your spoiler.

The Pokémon encounter rates will never be public, most staff do not even have access to this information.

The purpose of having the "?" in the route spawn list is to encourage players to hunt and explore all the areas. The guides will inevitably reveal the listing of Pokémon in each region, but that is not the goal. The goal is also to create discussion between players about the value of each Pokémon. The economy is basically made by the player base.

The implemented moves/Pokémon/everything else list is not feasible because that list is constantly changing.

My recommendation is report anything that is not working properly and hasn't been reported in the error section already.

Frankly, the encounter rate could be deduced if the community would work together and would be willing to write some statistics. All we would have to do is to write down what encounters we had on this or that map, collect the data, and we would have the encounter chance for every Poke.

I actually love the ? system, especially that once you have seen a Poke, it will fill all the ? marks.

Move, TM, tutor, ability and item lists are under construction. Mostly because I think none of the staff members actually remembers all the TMs they have put into the game :)

I honestly think your post is a joke. From what I gather, you're saying that at some point in the game, people will make guides and put people on equal footing in all subject matters. Which will change how the game is supposed to be played. It's an inevitable occurrence. Aside from that, we don't need a list of where all Pokemon are located. Eventually, they will get around to every implementation you described. Except for implemented Pokemon. That's for us to discover. If we don't discover where Pokemon are located on our own or just ask for some help, it completely demystifies the fun nature of the game. I think you're completely overlooking the fact that we are playing a free game where they want us to explore. If this was a game that had backing, not people donating to help fund its creation, then we would all expect guides.

I am going to discuss the topics that were listed in your spoiler.

The Pokémon encounter rates will never be public, most staff do not even have access to this information.

and? this seems like you are trying to imply because not all of staff has access to this information, that staff and players should not have access to this information "because reasons" but give no argument either way

The purpose of having the "?" in the route spawn list is to encourage players to hunt and explore all the areas. The guides will inevitably reveal the listing of Pokémon in each region, but that is not the goal. The goal is also to create discussion between players about the value of each Pokémon. The economy is basically made by the player base.

cant really have discussions over value without the numbers. not revealing the info just creates a longer period of no one knowing what they are talking about, and makes it more difficult to find glitches(like encounter rates being incorrect. we cant know if they are glitched if we dont know them)

The implemented moves/Pokémon/everything else list is not feasible because that list is constantly changing.

there are 721 pokemon in gen 6. either you are telling me that it's impossible for humans to count that high, or you are implying staff does not have enough people to keep track of what is and is not implemented. the first point was a joke, so if you are telling me staff does not have enough people to keep track, then thats a problem. hire more people and or get organized.

My recommendation is report anything that is not working properly and hasn't been reported in the error section already.

~bug testing "how do we the player base know if it is bugged or not? is this pokemon supposed to be in X area? is something supposed to be implemented or no? is this game breaking flaw intended? do staff even know?"

again, not enough information. some things sure. move mechanics are published elsewhere and can be looked up to see if they are bugged. various items and ability mechanics are published elsewhere and can be looked up. this game deviates from all other in their pokemon locations, encounter rates, and since beta many things are nyi/implemented differently than all other games.

there is no way too look this up and you cant tell me "it's too much data" in one sentence and "ask staff" in another.

Frankly, the encounter rate could be deduced if the community would work together and would be willing to write some statistics. All we would have to do is to write down what encounters we had on this or that map, collect the data, and we would have the encounter chance for every Poke.

I actually love the ? system, especially that once you have seen a Poke, it will fill all the ? marks.

Move, TM, tutor, ability and item lists are under construction. Mostly because I think none of the staff members actually remembers all the TMs they have put into the game :)

you are entirely right the encounter rates could be determined with a lot of group effort and time. the "?" is nice and i like it too, however bug testing a game without the information necessary to find encounter rate/location bugs is impossible. either you only report what you are SURE is a bug and many do not get reported, or you report everything that could be a bug and the true reports get lost in the false positives. and ofc some will still be missed.

I honestly think your post is a joke.

not a joke From what I gather, you're saying that at some point in the game, people will make guides and put people on equal footing in all subject matters. Which will change how the game is supposed to be played. It's an inevitable occurrence.yes and thats part of my argument against stuborness Aside from that, we don't need a list of where all Pokemon are located. Eventually, they will get around to every implementation you described. Except for implemented Pokemon. That's for us to discover. If we don't discover where Pokemon are located on our own or just ask for some help, it completely demystifies the fun nature of the game. I think you're completely overlooking the fact that we are playing a free game where they want us to explore. If this was a game that had backing, not people donating to help fund its creation, then we would all expect guides.

you are looking at it form a "i want to play this game and have fun" view. im talking about serious bug testing and figuring out game mechanics flaws so they can be fixed. the purpose of beta test is so the game can be fixed. the quicker all the bugs and flaws are found, the quicker they can be fixed and this game can go 1.0 live.

Imo none of this really need to be public, especially the locations of Pokemon.

It'll be no fun if the locations are disclosed.

see above. the point of beta is finding bugs, glitches, feedback, and exciting people so they donate. this information makes it easier to find and fix problems.

Lol most of the players don't play to find glitches and bugs.

The game already excited many players and they started donating.

Well, there already an unofficial pokemon location guide on forum, if you want to find bugs so eagerly you can use that.

SweetieSerena.gif

[glow=green]

Made by Somes, Killua, mixunli and CarlosAST

<i>[/glow]</i>

Guest ProEngineer
We are not bugtesting the game any more. There never will be a "final version of PRO because of legal stuff. You're playing and discovering a game and not betatesting it any more.

To be correct, we are actually beta testing. Any exploits are required to be reported, or else a ban can be handed down if caught.