So how exactly does exp work?

Troubleman

Trying to grind this rattata at Dragon's Den but it only gets ~3k exp per battle (with switching out). But when I was training other pokes (Growlithe, Azurill, Drilbur, Magnemite) They were getting like 13k exp upon switching out also. I'm not sure why but does anyone know? It's kindof annoying specially since I really wanna grind this rattata fast

I don`t know the math behind it but I can try to explain what I understand of it so far. I`m still a noob myself so I may be wrong.

If you have a pokemon defeat a pokemon alone it will gain 100% exp

But, if you have a lvl 1 as your 1st pokemon in party and you switch it with another one of lvl 20 to defeat a certain pokemon the lvl 1 will get a lot less exp than the one thats lvl 20, also, the total exp that both of them get will not total at 100% but at around 75%, I guess.

If your first poke is lvl 10 the exp that it will gain will rise and the second ones that`s lvl 20 will fall.

If two pokemons participate in a battle but one of them faints then the other one will get 100% exp.

This is a guess and I really don`t know the exact math behind it.

183256 I don`t know the math behind it but I can try to explain what I understand of it so far. I`m still a noob myself so I may be wrong.

But, if you have a lvl 1 as your 1st pokemon in party and you switch it with another one of lvl 20 to defeat a certain pokemon the lvl 1 will get a lot less exp than the one thats lvl 20, also, the total exp that both of them get will not total at 100% but at around 75%, I guess.

If your first poke is lvl 10 the exp that it will gain will rise and the second ones that`s lvl 20 will fall.

If two pokemons participate in a battle but one of them faints then the other one will get 100% exp.

That sounds really frustratinng.. Why would they do that?

183256 I don`t know the math behind it but I can try to explain what I understand of it so far. I`m still a noob myself so I may be wrong.

That sounds really frustratinng.. Why would they do that?

I think it's just for the sake of complicating things.