Local nicknames

Cloudsquall

Isn't there any way to implement pokemon nicknames locally? I understand that the problem with nicknames would be how to moderate foul language etc in so many pokemon. But if they couldn't be seen by others, only by you, what would the problem be?

Just so you can rename your pokemon how you want them but the others would just see the default pokemon's name.

It's not about hard. It's about time and server space. :p

Although your name would be "local" the nickname would still have to be saved on the server along side your pokemon. So let's just say each name is a byte.

4da5306fdfd44b509e38c9e0f00bc1b2.png

I just caught that as of 10:02PM EST on 7/30/16

If every single nickname was a byte even as an empty set there would be 15,384,935 bytes of Information that doesn't NEED to exist in the first place.

"Oh but that's only 15.38MB Gio"

Yes that may be only 15.38MB, but that adds up.

[glow=red]The threats of a goldfish do not concern a shark.[/glow]

223484 It's not about hard. It's about time and server space. :p

Although your name would be "local" the nickname would still have to be saved on the server along side your pokemon. So let's just say each name is a byte.

4da5306fdfd44b509e38c9e0f00bc1b2.png

I just caught that as of 10:02PM EST on 7/30/16

If every single nickname was a byte even as an empty set there would be 15,384,935 bytes of Information that doesn't NEED to exist in the first place.

"Oh but that's only 15.38MB Gio"

Yes that may be only 15.38MB, but that adds up.

Well actually suggestions are just consider suggestions. Any suggestion itself has the ability to be added or not added as it sole depends on the developer and just the developer (no offense to you Gio).

Also he did said locally on the user's part. Not sure how would that affect the server as it would affect the user's computer hard drive in question. (Could be similarly coded as how items in the Quick Slots are saved.)

It would be nice if we could have a nickname changer somewhere and it would cost like 5k to change the name of a pokemon (need your OT) and include a bad word filter like in game chat for example the npc would say "Sorry i can't rename your pokemon like that" and if someone still try to avoid censored words then rename his pokemon and punish him (like ban/kick and impossibility to rename his pokemons again)

223809 It would be nice if we could have a nickname changer somewhere and it would cost like 5k to change the name of a pokemon (need your OT) and include a bad word filter like in game chat for example the npc would say "Sorry i can't rename your pokemon like that" and if someone still try to avoid censored words then rename his pokemon and punish him (like ban/kick and impossibility to rename his pokemons again)

The problem with a bad words filter is it only filters out english bad words.

[glow=red]The threats of a goldfish do not concern a shark.[/glow]

The problem with a bad words filter is it only filters out english bad words.

It's just like the current chat word filter then, you can't say "we will not make a chat in game because people can abuse it by insulting other peoples", why limiting cool features just because people can abuse them, you can still punish people who abuse the nickname feature just like when you punish people for being insulting in the chat.