Regions and thoughts

Proteinshake

Hello, Devolepers!

I was wondering if you had ever thought of making each region a specific targeted level. What I mean is that you will downscale Johto so that you can only get to say level 20, downscaling experience gained and also the trainers + poke leaders and of course the elite 4 of that region, so that when you get to a new region that will unlock more levels, aka up to level 30 - 40 and so on for each region. This could mean that if you level up in Johto you might reach level 20 before you meet the elite for, but then you could just make it so that everything gave 0 experience.

This would atleast make it so that each region got a steady progression towards the late game stages, and that going back to get other pokemons would require you to train them, or make a new level 100 zone when you have finished the game where you can catch all pokemons from all generation and call it the Pokemon Wilds or something.

This would require tons of changes and a lot of time/work to implement, like making the game all over again. I don't think it's a stupid idea, but I personally don't like it.

I think devs already have enough stuff to worry about than changing the whole experience system of their game, plus it would require to have way more regions in order for people to reach endgame and we just have 2 regions (so far).

Yeah the concerns there are valid, and yes I have thought about the same. It would require some new iterations, but mainly tuning for experience and the levels you meet along the way. And yeah after all it is a suggestion, just thought i'd mention it since it would lead to a steadier flow of how you use your pokemon and that the progression is always going forward, not backtracking for each region.

And as it stands with only two regions, yes that can prove to be a problem. But then again it doesn't have to be specified like that, there could be other implementations of this, where the two first regions provide more levels than the next regions given. I mean yes level 100 has always been the standard super end game level of a pokemon, could be 50 for the two regions we have now. And then you could gain 10 levels per region afterwards.

Without seeing any code or knowing how they have programmed it, I won't know how much more work this would be or if it is desirable at all :)