Differences between PRO and Original Games (Info Dump and Guide for Newbies)

Eleaten

I preface this by first pointing out that I only joined the game and community a few days ago, so if any information is wrong please correct me.

It's always frustrating for me when playing these games, because I don't know how mechanics are different between a pokemon MMO and the original games. So, I decided to make a place where I could dump all this information, partly for myself, and partly for anyone else who is new and wondering the same things I am.

* - did not personally test/needs confirmation

General Game Mechanics

Experience Points -

- the more fully evolved your Pokemon is, the more EXP is needed to level it up. Therefore if you're trying to grind levels, it may be beneficial to leave the Pokemon unevolved until it gets to your desired level

- Pokemon in this game give much more EXP compared to games, however the EXP needed to level up is also adjusted accordingly.

- The EXP Share (item) does not exist in this game. If you switch Pokemon mid-battle, EXP is still shared between the battlers.

- When switching around Pokemon to gain EXP, a higher leveled Pokemon will cause the EXP gain to be lowered for the lower leveled Pokemon.

(Ex. Send out a level 20 against a level 58, switch to:

a) A level 75 Pokemon -> the level 20 will gain ~6k EXP.

b) A level 95 Pokemon -> the level 20 will gain ~3.5k EXP.)

Breeding - does not exist in this game. You basically spam catch Pokemon and pray for one with a good Nature and IV. There are move tutors for egg moves.

EVs and IVs - Same as normal games

- can view a Pokemon's EVs and IVs directly in their stats page.

- Natures (Green = +10%, Orange = -10%)

- Berries that reduce EVs exist.

- Macho Brace exists, other items that aid in EV gain (power items/pokerus) does not.

Held Items - Drag the item to the Pokemon in your party (top left of screen). Left (or right) clicking will consume the item instead.

- remove held item by clicking on it in the Pokemon status window.

Trading -

- requires 4 badges.

- you may not be traded Pokemon from the Johto/Hoenn region if you have not been there yet.

Linking Pokemon in Chat - drag the pokemon in your party (top left of screen) into the message line in the textbox.

Mega-Evolution - not implemented/unusable, even if you have a mega stone. Some NPC Trainers do use mega-evolved Pokemon.

Pokemon Battle Information

Level - Story-related trainers and bosses do not have the level of their Pokemon displayed. Pokemon should still be at a set level.

'Smarter' AI - All NPC pokemon (Trainer or Wild) are smarter in PRO than in the games. They will often use the move that is super-effective to your Pokemon, instead of randomly choosing a move.

Re-battling -

- Regular Trainers can be fought once every (real life) week. If you lose to a Trainer, you lose some money and it counts as fought.

- The Elite Four may be re-battled once every 6 hours (used to be 24, lowered now but unsure by how much). If you lose to a the Elite Four, it counts as fought.

- Gym Leaders may be re-battled repeatedly if you lose to them without getting the badge. However, they will stop giving EXP after the first try.

Learning moves mid-battle - Pokemon in PRO learn moves after the entire fight is over, similar to how they only evolve after the battle is over.

'Unfinished' moves and abilities - (there are probably more, these are just the ones I know of)

- There's a thread here which shows bugged moves (as well as which moves/Pokemon cannot be used for competitive).

- AI does not take into account the ability 'Levitate' when attacking. Enemy Trainers will keep using Ground-type moves against a Gengar.

TMs/HMs, using moves outside of battle, move tutors

TMs - single use. Gym Leader TMs are bought from the npc with the glasses that is inside each gym (the npc in real games that tell you about the gym leader) instead of given to you. That means you can return anytime and buy multiple of them.

HMs - multiple use. Simply face the obstacle and press spacebar to use. HMs can be rewritten like TMs, as such there are no Move Deleters in this game.

Dig - Look here

Flash - Left click on the move in your pokemon stats page to use.

Rock Smash - exists, is client-side.

Cut - exists, is client-side.

Strength - does not exist.

Fly - cannot be used outside of battle.

Waterfall - exists.

Dive - exists.

(Key) Items

Bike - Obtain a Bike Voucher (house with a ditto in Vermillion City, a kid needs to pay the rent) to trade for a bike in Cerulean. Bike Voucher costs $60k.

Old Rod - From an old man in a building in Vermillion City.

Good Rod - Sold for $15k in a house in Fuchsia City (east of the Pokemon Center). Requires Old Rod.

Super Rod - Sold for $75k in a house in Olivine City (Johto). Requires Old Rod and Good Rod(?)*

EXP Share - does not exist.

Berries - unable to be grown, berries respawn every 3 days. EV-Reducing berries respawn every 4 days.

PP restoring items - can be bought in certain markets (forgot which ones exactly, but they're not limited items).

Game Progression

Common questions regarding areas players often get stuck in - Look here

Pokemon and Item/TM Locations - Look here

See anything else that should be added/changed? Comment below!

Edited by Xylos
  • Like 3

Re: Differences between PRO and Real Games (Info Dump and Guide for Newbies)

<t>Awesom!<br/>

This was pretty helpful though I suggest changing title to dif betw PRO and 'Original' ds games.<br/>

Secondly, some of my pokemon did actually share xp multiple times. Maybe you can ask a staff member about that?<br/>

<br/>

again, thanks for sharing.</t>

Re: Differences between PRO and Real Games (Info Dump and Guide for Newbies)

<t>Ah, yeah. By 'real game' I meant the original games. I'll update the wording in my posts now.<br/>

<br/>

The EXP Share I was referring to was the item. If you switch Pokemon mid-battle, EXP is still shared between the battlers.</t>

He never said that PRO is any less of a real game, he's just comparing PRO mechanics to the original games which he has now corrected. Can you...idk...be less pedantic and be more appreciative that people are putting some effort to help the community?

Thanks for doing this by the way. It summarizes many of the questions being asked in help chat on a daily basis. Hope the newer players come and read the guides in the forum more often.

37851 He never said that PRO is any less of a real game, he's just comparing PRO mechanics to the original games which he has now corrected. Can you...idk...be less pedantic and be more appreciative that people are putting some effort to help the community?

nothing wrong with nitpicking, that's how people learn to do things better & right. without it, people would never have things like getting their orders right at a drive through, or things like the iran nuke deal. :confused:

you should be more appreciative of my remarks, they never would have fixed it to "original games" otherwise & that in part is helping the community. ~

LISQEZ3.gif

regardless, my nitpicking still managed to correct a fault that would have otherwise been misleading. so despite how unorthodox you think my methods of helping are, my remark still served their purpose so your point is entirely null, thanks for your concern & i guess insight though? (hardly)

LISQEZ3.gif

37851Thanks for doing this by the way. It summarizes many of the questions being asked in help chat on a daily basis. Hope the newer players come and read the guides in the forum more often.

No problem. It's partly for me too, so I don't need to keep 5 different links bookmarked for this information. There's been over 400 views in under 24 hours, so I'd say a lot of people view the forums.