GUI Improvement list

Inspirateur

Hello everyone, today I would like to bring a (big) load of suggestions about the Graphical User Interface because I think some changes need to be done.

your replies will always be appreciated :D

Suggestions are sorted by situations and ordered by importance, here we go:

[glow=red]</GLOW>

BATTLE UI CHANGES:

<i>[/glow]</i>

[glow=red]Background panel poke's infos[/glow]

Currently in battles, name, level, lifebar and XP-bar are displayed raw on background image, this giving trouble to daltonians who can't always see how much is their lifebar filled, this isn't very professional, and in the OG there is a background panel:

GBA--Pokemon%20Light%20Platinum_Oct4%207_31_02.png

[glow=red]Your poke's HP shown[/glow]

In the Original Games, your poke's HP are shown just below the lifebar and it's good because it's quite annoying to go check on your poke's HP by the upper-left team pannel...

[glow=red]lifebar color change[/glow]

In the Original Games, lifebar goes orange when your poke has half-HP and red when it has 1/5-HP (or smth like that). I think is something good to keep, it makes sense and help us evaluate more precisely the damages delt.

[glow=red]Damage display[/glow]

This suggestion doesn't come from the original serie, but more from MMO themselves, let me explain :D

We would have, either on the poke that is taking damages right now or in the battle messages panel, the amount of damages the attack dealt.

I think this idea has very positive points:

- This would help to compare, evaluate damages of a move depending on the poke that's using it and the poke that's taking it

- This would raise the understanding of pokemon mechanics for newbies (damage reductions, boost's impact, sp. att. and att. stats ...)

- This may help for bug tracking

- I think a "-1376432 HP" displaying when you overkill some annoying zubat would be very satisfying :p

[glow=red]Auto select pokemon choose window when your poke just got KO'ed[/glow]

Well, the title says it all: when your poke is KO'ed (pvp or pve) the only option you have is choosing another poke, so the game shouldn't allow you to click on "attack" or "items" or "run", it should even auto select the poke choose window imo.

[glow=red]

POKEDEX UI CHANGES:

<i>[/glow]</i>

[glow=red]Evolution shown with conditions[/glow]

This is the only thing I alt-tab for: to know how a pokemon evolves or what are his evolutions.

It would be good to have this info in the pokedex, like that we won't need to look up on internet when we play anymore.

[glow=red]More filters on pokedex[/glow]

It could be nice to have region-filters on pokedex imo, by this I mean a check box for every region and if you check like the kanto's one you would only see 1st gen pokes, this is quite neat for love-island or legendary completion.

[glow=red]

PC UI CHANGES:

<i>[/glow]</i>

[glow=red]The same search as pokedex[/glow]

We don't always know what's the exact spelling for a poke's name, so implementing the same search as pokedex (the one that's work with partial words) is necessary :3

[glow=red]Global sorting[/glow]

I think the sorting features of the PC are really cool but they are not really usefull if they don't apply globaly (instead of box by box).

[glow=red]

GAME UI CHANGES:

<i>[/glow]</i>

<GLOW glow="red">[glow=red]Full keyboard control[/glow]

This may be the most important suggestion about UI: the game is currently half keyboard-half mouse (or full mouse) playable and this is terrible.

To make the game be (almost) full keyboard playable there's some menu's interaction that must be worked on:

-> allow the player to config a key for "Yes" and a key for "Cancel" for evolution window and Surf-like window

-> allow the use of Up key and Down key when selecting item in battles

-> allow selecting pokes with 1 to 6 keys for the headbutt and dig window (like when you select a poke to be sent in battle)

[glow=red]Visual feedback on the upper-left team panel[/glow]

This really is a minor change but it's a basic UI work and it's on every interactive element in the game except this one: when something is interactive the user must know it, and this is done by small color or size change when the mouse hover the element.

Now I think i'm done, maybe some other suggestion will be added by the time :D

Again, your responses are very important so i'll be very happy if you take a little bit of your time by leaving a reaction or another suggestion bellow <3

Thanks all of you for helping PRO being better :p

[glow=black]A limitless gratitude[/glow]

There are a lot of really good suggestions here. I worry that the additions to the battle system, and really any additional features, may cause latency issues.

The biggest one that I'd like to see is the ability for the PC search function to work just like the Pokedex. I've got 30+ pages of pokes to sort through, and (I'll admit) I don't always know the proper spelling to do an exact search. For that matter, you can not even search your PC for Mr.Mime (punctuation does not register).

263220 There are a lot of really good suggestions here. I worry that the additions to the battle system, and really any additional features, may cause latency issues.

The biggest one that I'd like to see is the ability for the PC search function to work just like the Pokedex. I've got 30+ pages of pokes to sort through, and (I'll admit) I don't always know the proper spelling to do an exact search. For that matter, you can not even search your PC for Mr.Mime (punctuation does not register).

Yep you're absolutely right ! i'm adding this immediatly

263211 The thing I don't think you understand, this is going to be different from the handhelds. It's gonna be different from showdown.

I don't want to be mean but what you're saying is kinda pointless, I'm suggesting what I think (and not only me) is good and healthy for the game, I don't actually care if it's the same or not as showdown (i don't even play it) or the OG.

But if you have real points to discuss on i'll be happy to talk with you :D

Regarding all of the points:

• =Personally I prefer the current layout. Though if people struggle to read it maybe we should have an option for it?
  • +While I don't tend to need it, I think it should be there.
  • +I've always found the coloured bars to be useful.
  • -I don't think it should show the damage in exact numbers as in stuff such as PvP it would effect certain battles as it would give information to the player/opponent that they should not know.
  • +I'm surprised this isn't already in the UI as not having it makes the game seem a little flawed.
    -----
  • = I reckon it shouldn't show the evolution conditions straight away, yet instead when the evolution has been seen/caught.
  • - I don't think this is needed. Even if you can't remember the pokémon's name exactly you can filter it pretty close with only 2-3 characters (E.G to find Magikarp I could just type "arp" and get it.) The only kind of filter I'd like to see added to the dex is a "Not Caught/evolved" one.
    -----
  • - See above.
  • = Why not both? They both have their advantages.
    -----
  • = I think anyone who is using a keyboard has a mouse very close by. So while it'd not needed some players may want it.
  • ? Could you elaborate on this? I'm unsure what you mean.

263489 Regarding all of the points:

• =Personally I prefer the current layout. Though if people struggle to read it maybe we should have an option for it?
  • +While I don't tend to need it, I think it should be there.
  • +I've always found the coloured bars to be useful.
  • -I don't think it should show the damage in exact numbers as in stuff such as PvP it would effect certain battles as it would give information to the player/opponent that they should not know.
  • +I'm surprised this isn't already in the UI as not having it makes the game seem a little flawed.
    -----
  • = I reckon it shouldn't show the evolution conditions straight away, yet instead when the evolution has been seen/caught.
  • - I don't think this is needed. Even if you can't remember the pokémon's name exactly you can filter it pretty close with only 2-3 characters (E.G to find Magikarp I could just type "arp" and get it.) The only kind of filter I'd like to see added to the dex is a "Not Caught/evolved" one.
    -----
  • - See above.
  • = Why not both? They both have their advantages.
    -----
  • = I think anyone who is using a keyboard has a mouse very close by. So while it'd not needed some players may want it.
  • ? Could you elaborate on this? I'm unsure what you mean.

First of all, thanks for your reply :D

- I agree with you, maybe the pokedex shouldn't show the evolution conditions if not seen yet...

- For the damages shown in PvP you're right, even if I don't think it can really impact the way you play, it indeed gives an info that is not provided normally...

- About the filters on pokedex it wasn't really about finding a poke, I was more thinking about overall view of your advancement in the quest of completing one region's dex.

- For the PC first suggestion I think you misunderstood: currently if you type "arp" in the PC search bar you don't get magikarp, that's why I suggest to make a proper search

- For the second PC suggestion well i'm not sure to understand what interest you find in sorting a box filled with poke you didn't put yourself in (because it's just by order of catching)... But ok if you think they both have utility there's no problem in keeping both sort :)

- For the keyboard thing, indeed for most people a mouse is close by but it just goes faster (i don't know if you've been farming a lot) with keyboard and it kinda breakes the rythm to be forced to use mouse at some moments. But I understand you don't find this needed, this is just for convenience after all.

- The last point was just pure UI detail: when you hover the mouse over your team it doesn't give any reaction even though you can actually click on it, and this is just a bad thing for any UI, it would make the game clearer to have a little change on the graphical elements of this panel (as there is already if you hover the elements of the down-left menu (bag, dex...))

263220 I worry that the additions to the battle system, and really any additional features, may cause latency issues.

Oh and by the way don't worry about that, UI changes can't cause latency issues because there's no need for the client to interact with the server for this :) (except maybe for the damages shown suggestion)