Why this GreninjacK change is the BEST thing PRO has done in a while

Purplemauth

Let me preface my post with this - my initial thought when I saw the change in requirements and his team was pure frustration. My 3rd battle with him is up literally tomorrow, and I was scared I wasn't going to get my reward.

(Don't come on this post flaming me and saying how I'm wrong if you have no evidence/proof/argument. I am more than happy to have a civil discussion with actual objective proof and/or reasoning as to why having 1 challenging boss in 30+ bosses is a bad thing).

This is a FANTASTIC change. I personally was disappointed with the new Jenny boss being implemented. More bosses are always great, but come on, she's probably the easiest, only behind Pumpkin King or Brock.

Why this is good:

1. PRO boss battles have no challenge in them whatsoever. When you get to around 500-600 hours or more in game, you have a decent collection of lvl 100s, and you can mostly sweep every boss in the game with a set up pokemon and some potion spam (Erika, Koichi, Chuck, Bruno, AND Pumpkin King insta lose to a swords dance set up on a Talonflame).

2. PRO, in general, has no adversity whatsoever. There is nothing challenging about it. "Well it's challenging to get good pokemon" sure, you might have bad luck, but for bosses, you don't need pokemon with 25+ IV in every single category. My galvantula with like 17/31 speed IVs still outruns any boss set up and can get sticky web down to cut speed in half. My H.A breloom has 12 attack and can sweep Brock and other bosses no problem etc, etc.

3. "The requirement is too ridiculous, it limits what teams I can use". THAT'S THE POINT. STOP USING YOUR GENGAR GYARADOS AND TALONFLAMES AND USE OTHER POKEMON. RAISE SOMETHING DIFFERENT. TRY NEW THINGS. If you want to enjoy this game long term, what's more sustainable. Auto-piloting through the 30 something bosses we have now? Or having to stop and consider different requirements for each one, forcing you to have a variety of interesting pokemon? My most recent favorite level 100' i've raised have been a Swift Swim Huntail who flattens everything with sucker punch/waterfall/ice fang. Combo with something with rain and it sweeps. I've literally never seen anyone else raise one.

4. It's been changed for roughly 48 hours. As Shamac said in one of the posts complaining that it should be changed back, there are already tricks and ways that people are using to beat him down. Want a free tip? Milotic + Focus Sash + mirror coat. Bye Palkia.

5. "Old Greninjack was tough enough, you need epic pokes to beat him" No. You didn't. He could be swept with a moxie Gyarados. Again, like another 7 or 8 bosses can be swept by a Gyara w/ dragon dance.

6. They implemented this at the perfect time, with the perfect boss. Greninjack has 3 reward pokes that can only be obtained through him. And they changed this on/around when everyone got 1 of the 3 rewards done. If you're an end game player like me, and want the dex, you need to find new strategies and pokemon to beat him.

Thank you PRO, for finally introducing challenge into the game! As one person mid game said when they LOST to him, "wow that was the first boss battle I've lost in over 1000 hours of game time". Isn't that maybe a sign things should change?

You have some great points. This may also allow the usage of Pokemon that are normally never used. Such as Lightning Rod Seaking, I've seen someone suggest using it vs Greinjack since the AI will spam electric type moves against it. And it's nice to have a boss that's actually somewhat challenging.

However, Greinjack is stingy. 36 days per Pokemon reward is not really rewarding considering the fact that Pokemon rewards usually have trash IVs, nature and ability. IF you manage to defeat the boss for a 3rd consecutive time without the server crashing that is (which is a rare occurrence but happens). And yeah he's now harder to defeat. We may struggle to even get 3 consecutive wins to get the Pokemon we want. Just why? What's with the constant grind/rarity/luck fetish?

363588 You have some great points. This may also allow the usage of Pokemon that are normally never used. Such as Lightning Rod Seaking, I've seen someone suggest using it vs Greinjack since the AI will spam electric type moves against it. And it's nice to have a boss that's actually somewhat challenging.

However, Greinjack is stingy. 36 days per Pokemon reward is not really rewarding considering the fact that Pokemon rewards usually have trash IVs, nature and ability. IF you manage to defeat the boss for a 3rd consecutive time without the server crashing that is (which is a rare occurrence but happens). Just why? What's with the constant grind/rarity/luck fetish?

The luck factor in rewards is certainly real. I guess I have never seen it as bad, cause I have a timid Volcarona and adamant Turtwig from erika, and an Adamant Honedge from Ravine, lol.

However, for me personally (and guessing by your post on this), getting the dex entry is enough motivation for me to go and do it. For some people, they could care less about having the pokemon to say they have it, they want a pokemon they can use. And I totally get that! The only issue, that I see, is that theres no way for staff to implement a reward system with gift pokemon that wouldn't lead to it being abused somehow. Even if you could pick just one of those 3 things (IV, ability, nature), it would lead to the pokemons value tanking significantly because more and more good versions of that pokemon exist.

i dont use that pokes you mencioned ;) gyarados (I've never had one on pro and i dont want one), gengar i dont use since e4 kanto, talonflame i have but dont use ;)

"[glow=red]4. It's been changed for roughly 48 hours. As Shamac said in one of the posts complaining that it should be changed back, there are already tricks and ways that people are using to beat him down. Want a free tip? Milotic + Focus Sash + mirror coat. Bye Palkia.[/glow] "

feebas is very rare and not everyone have one...focus sash? waste of item to win berrys...mirror coat? mirror coat ins't from movest that is used in pvp...

So you've seen i don't go into fashions or copies of others ;) or for those who do not follow fashions the difficulty was already perfect :*

PS. RIP your huntail Rip shell smah that he can never learn more because only learn shell smash in clamperl xD

363594The luck factor in rewards is certainly real. I guess I have never seen it as bad, cause I have a timid Volcarona and adamant Turtwig from erika, and an Adamant Honedge from Ravine, lol.

However, for me personally (and guessing by your post on this), getting the dex entry is enough motivation for me to go and do it. For some people, they could care less about having the pokemon to say they have it, they want a pokemon they can use. And I totally get that! The only issue, that I see, is that theres no way for staff to implement a reward system with gift pokemon that wouldn't lead to it being abused somehow. Even if you could pick just one of those 3 things (IV, ability, nature), it would lead to the pokemons value tanking significantly because more and more good versions of that pokemon exist.

Nice luck there. :P

Yeah everyone's motivation towards getting a Pokemon is of course different, there's nothing wrong with that. I see your point, but there's a way for at least Synchronize to work just like how it does with Gingery Jones. Then again, even if that wasn't the case, the rewards could've been made better. Not for Greinjack only (though especially for him) but for all bosses. Who wants Silver Powder as a reward from someone who gives something once per 12 days only? The rewards should actually BE REWARDS, not something I can go and easily get from a PokeMart/dig spot/wild Pokemon. Did I manage to get my point across? (a little sleepy here)

I had this in my mind the whole time, Greinjack's team update was only an excuse to actually talk about it since I was reluctant to create a suggestion thread as they seem to be either ignored or get spammed with "this is an MMO ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^!!!" or both.

363598 i dont use that pokes you mencioned ;) gyarados (I've never had one on pro and i dont want one), gengar i dont use since e4 kanto, talonflame i have but dont use ;)

"[glow=red]4. It's been changed for roughly 48 hours. As Shamac said in one of the posts complaining that it should be changed back, there are already tricks and ways that people are using to beat him down. Want a free tip? Milotic + Focus Sash + mirror coat. Bye Palkia.[/glow] "

feebas is very rare and not everyone have one...focus sash? waste of item to win berrys...mirror coat? mirror coat ins't from movest that is used in pvp...

So you've seen i don't go into fashions or copies of others ;) or for those who do not follow fashions the difficulty was already perfect :*

PS. RIP your huntail Rip shell smah that he can never learn more because only learn shell smash in clamperl xD

Mirror coat, while not used on every pvp set, has for sure been used against me. Its extremely easy to buy it and replace it with something then replace it for another move if you dont want to keep it.

Using 3 focus sashes (over the course of 3 battles) is an extremely easy item to get, via pvp coins or by getting them as the common reward from Koichi. And you get 5 from Koichi.

363598 i dont use that pokes you mencioned ;) gyarados (I've never had one on pro and i dont want one), gengar i dont use since e4 kanto, talonflame i have but dont use ;)

Mirror coat, while not used on every pvp set, has for sure been used against me. Its extremely easy to buy it and replace it with something then replace it for another move if you dont want to keep it.

Using 3 focus sashes (over the course of 3 battles) is an extremely easy item to get, via pvp coins or by getting them as the common reward from Koichi. And you get 5 from Koichi.

3 focus sash to win a couple of berrys gg and i dont fight with koichi (he dont give "good" reward in level of pokemons)

the rewards could've been made better. Not for Greinjack only (though especially for him) but for all bosses. Who wants Silver Powder as a reward from someone who gives something once per 12 days only? The rewards should actually BE REWARDS, not something I can go and easily get from a PokeMart/dig spot/wild Pokemon

Absolutely. However I think that's branching into a separate issue. Reward balancing is something that should definitely be talked about moving forward. Like you said, the quality of the boss battle should have qualified rewards. I don't know what those might be, but I do agree. A lot of bosses have fine rewards, but bosses like Toothless/Wargreymon/Sgath and Keres don't have rewards that justify me even thinking about fighting them.

3 focus sash to win a couple of berrys gg and i dont fight with koichi (he dont give "good" reward in level of pokemons)

Right, your logic is "I don't do this just because I don't want to". When the means to succeed exist, and you complain that you can't do it, you can't blame anyone other than yourself.

If you think of it as 3 focus sashes to win some berries, then sure you wont see the value. I think of it as 3 focus sashes for a Zorua. Or a Hawlucha. Or a Croagunk And that is completely worth it.

the rewards could've been made better. Not for Greinjack only (though especially for him) but for all bosses. Who wants Silver Powder as a reward from someone who gives something once per 12 days only? The rewards should actually BE REWARDS, not something I can go and easily get from a PokeMart/dig spot/wild Pokemon

Absolutely. However I think that's branching into a separate issue. Reward balancing is something that should definitely be talked about moving forward. Like you said, the quality of the boss battle should have qualified rewards. I don't know what those might be, but I do agree. A lot of bosses have fine rewards, but bosses like Toothless/Wargreymon/Sgath and Keres don't have rewards that justify me even thinking about fighting them.

Yeah. It's still kinda related to Greinjack's team update since the increased difficulty makes it harder to manage to get 3 consecutive wins and the rewards are trash if you don't achieve that. But I know I'm not exactly on topic, just had to get it out. Thanks for making it possible to have a nice discussion. :y: