tournament ideas

Guest notblackjack

Guest notblackjack

Hey guys!

In the past I have organised a bunch of tourneys and I want to do that again in this game. Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with pokemon tourneys (like how they go), so I'm gonna need your help with this.

Here are some of my ideas about tournaments/games for this game:

1. IV Bingo: Everyone goes on an adventure trying to catch pokemon on the same route (route picked by refs). Every player has the same bingo-card of objectives all related to IV's (eg. Get a pokemon with 4 of the same IV's, get a pokemon with two 13 IV stats, etc.) Once one of the players gets bingo, he/she wins!

2. 1v1,2v2, and 6v6 tournaments: normal battles with 1, 2, and 6 pokes per player. Problem is that it's hard to get everyone to have the same lvl pokemon, unless its lvl 100 pokes only.

3. Catch the (insert pokemon name here): all players race to be the first to catch a certain rare pokemon. Whoever catches that Pokémon first wins. Catching a shiny (of any pokemon) will always mean victory.

So what do you guys think? Have any other ideas?

~notblackjack

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!

In the past I have organised a bunch of tourneys and I want to do that again in this game. Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with pokemon tourneys (like how they go), so I'm gonna need your help with this.

1. IV Bingo: Everyone goes on an adventure trying to catch pokemon on the same route (route picked by refs). Every player has the same bingo-card of objectives all related to IV's (eg. Get a pokemon with 4 of the same IV's, get a pokemon with two 13 IV stats, etc.) Once one of the players gets bingo, he/she wins!

2. 1v1,2v2, and 6v6 tournaments: normal battles with 1, 2, and 6 pokes per player. Problem is that it's hard to get everyone to have the same lvl pokemon, unless its lvl 100 pokes only.

3. Catch the (insert pokemon name here): all players race to be the first to catch a certain rare pokemon. Whoever catches that Pokémon first wins. Catching a shiny (of any pokemon) will always mean victory.

~notblackjack

It will be awesome if tier's will be there which will be ofc player decided before battles.

8tdrGli.png

••MY GUIDES••

Bag_Macho_Brace_Sprite.png[glow=red]EV Training Hot Spots[/glow]

244.png[glow=red]How to get Legendary Dogs[/glow]

Shiny collector and Proud Member of BlaZe~

<i></i>

maybe one big league with teams made by any member and friends not guilds tournament. The teams are 5 players to fight vs other 5 but any team can register any players and pay for each team player and all weekends one match teamA vs teamB and at the end of league the team winner win pot register money

pTi1HIX.png

Guest notblackjack
maybe one big league with teams made by any member and friends not guilds tournament. The teams are 5 players to fight vs other 5 but any team can register any players and pay for each team player and all weekends one match teamA vs teamB and at the end of league the team winner win pot register money

Big leagues will always be on my mind but for this game probably when the game has been released and there are more players. Problem is if there aren't that many people not eveyone can play every week and things will get hard to manage. When there are a lot of people, teams can always search for substitutes and it will be easier to manage.

TL;DR I will do this, in a while

~notblackjack

Guest notblackjack
Hey guys!

~notblackjack

It will be awesome if tier's will be there which will be ofc player decided before battles.

So you mean tears for the 1v1 battles? So like lvl 50-60 pkmn, lvl 60-70 pkmn etc.?

Sounds like a good idea.

~notblackjack

Cool!

So is this your way of saying you wanna help or?

~notblackjack

I would love too! my time is limited though because - job.

What To Expect

The competitive Pokemon environment is drastically different from what most new players are used to. Unlike in the Gameboy and DS games, you play against human opponents. Outsmarting a handheld machine is one thing, but outsmarting a real person is something else entirely. As such, there are a few key things to expect in competitive battling.

The first thing you need to know is that people will play to win. Although it was enough to get by in the cartridge games, using Pokemon because they are cool or your favorites is the fastest way to lose. Your opponents will be using whatever Pokemon they feel give them the best chance of winning, and in order to be competitive you should do the same.

One of the most surprising aspects to new players is the idea of switching. No longer will an opponent leave in a Pokemon until it faints; they can-and will-take advantage of the ability to bring in a new Pokemon with a better matchup. Also, do not be surprised if your opponent predicts your switch to hit your incoming Pokemon with a super effective attack, as most players will take advantage of obvious plays in order to gain some sort of advantage.

The role of luck in Pokemon comes as an unpleasant surprise to many new players. Between critical hits, chance effects such as burn and flinch, and attacks with less than perfect accuracy, the potential for lucky wins and losses is everywhere. At the end of the day, new players should realize that, while winning is important, any individual win is near meaningless. As in American Football, any given player can win on any given ladder match; what is more important is winning in the long run. The best player in the world can still lose, even to newcomers, but will likely be able to maintain a much higher win-loss ratio.

Competitive Clauses

n competitive Pokemon, there are several standard rules used in every match. These rules are called clauses, and they serve to stop some over-powerful strategies, reduce the role that luck can play in a match, and overall just make the game more enjoyable. If you are playing on a simulator, these rules will be enforced automatically; in Wi-Fi play, activating any one of these clauses will usually result in disqualification.

Evasion Clause

Moves that boost evasion (i.e. Double Team and Minimize) are not allowed.

Freeze Clause

Two or more Pokemon on a team cannot be frozen at the same time.

Sleep Clause

Two or more Pokemon on a team cannot be asleep at the same time. Self-induce sleep via Rest does not activate Sleep Clause.

OHKO Clause

One-Hit KO moves are not allowed.

Species Clause

Two or more of the same Pokemon may not be used on the same team.

Self KO Clause

If both players have only one Pokemon left, moves which KO both the user and the opponent are not allowed (e.g. Explosion, Destiny Bond). If recoil damage would cause a tie, Self KO Clause does not activate, and the player who last attacked is the winner.

Item Clause

All Pokemon on a team must hold different items. This is not a standard clause in competitive play, but it is used in Nintendo tournaments.

Tiers

The tiers serve a dual purpose. The first is to promote balanced gameplay and the second is to create an environment where weaker Pokemon can be used. A Pokemon may only be used in a tier equal or above its situated tier.

Uber

Ubers are Pokemon that are considered too powerful for the OU metagame. The Uber tier is not meant to be a balanced tier, and therefore isn't the main metagame. Every Pokemon, ability, and item is allowed in this tier.

OU

OverUsed is the main metagame and used for most competitive battles and tournaments. It is the balanced tier that bans as few Pokemon as possible. However, placement in OU is based on usage rather than power, because power is difficult to gauge objectively. A Pokemon is OU if it shows up in 1 out of every 20 teams in the standard metagame.

BL

Borderline is a non-competitive tier that has a function similar to that of Ubers. It is to include Pokemon that aren't used sufficiently to be considered OU, but are too powerful to be used in UU.

UU

UnderUsed is a lower competitive metagame than OU and is generally composed of Pokemon that aren't powerful enough to compete in OU. It is also based on usage.

NU

NeverUsed is the lowest tier in the system and denoted Pokemon that are extremely weak. It is based on usage and doesn't exist in RBY or GSC, due to there not being enough Pokemon.

Limbo

Limbo serves as a place where Pokemon that do not yet have a decided tier are put.

Types or battles

The normal battle styles are as follows

4v4 level 5

2v2 level 5

4v4 level 30 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

6v6 level 30 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

4v4 doubles level 30 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

2v2 level 50 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

4v4 level 50 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

6v6 level 50 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

4v4 doubles level 50 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

6v6 doubles level 50 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

2v2 level 100 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

4v4 level 100 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

6v6 level 100 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

4v4 doubles level 100 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

6v6 doubles level 100 (ou/bl/uu/nu)

Guest notblackjack

Whoah thanks. Though some of this I already knew by playing pokemon showdown (great way to practice BTW).

Add me as a friend and I can keep you up to date so you can help.

~notblackjack