How is this possible?

Fabion

I don't think Pokémon Uranium were sooo much more famous than PRO (personnally, I've never heard of it until the fuss it made when it got shut down), so it has to be the beta thing

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's even mentioned on the launcher that they're not affiliated to Pokémon Company, Creatures Inc., and GAME FREAK Inc. ^^

Well, Pokemon Uranium had millions of downloads before it was shut down. I know a lot of people play PRO but it is still a very small game .... at least on a Pokemon-game scale.

That PRO is not affiliated with the Pokemon Company doesn't really mean anything. It just says that they are completely independent form them, thus PRO is an unofficial Pokemon game. Much like Pokemon GO, which was developed by Niantic which is also an independent developer. They just bought the Pokemon license to develop their game.

I hope PRO did the same otherwise this MMO could see a very brief end once Nintendo's lawyer shut down the servers. The protection from being Beta is not really an obstacle I suppose. I think it's more realistic that Nintendo is ignoring those projects as long as they are too small to justify a lawsuit. After the 1.5 million downloads on Pokemon Uranium the game probably got big enough though, so they forced the developer to shut it down.

And I think pro got permission, since we can buy pokecoins through irl money, well if the game doesn't have permission of the nintendo, pro should consider adding it (and they know it :V) since they would just simply shutdown the game (pro) and all the money would be go in vain. And maybe that's why they say donations to the money that they earn from the players buying pokecoins so they can pay ninentendo's license/permission?

I don't think that the pay-model has an influence in Nintendo pursuing copyright claims or not. Pokemon Uranium also only relied on completely voluntary donations and still got shut down.

i personally don't think PRO is big enough to warrant a shutdown BUT i do see action being taken with PRO 2.0, that game looks amazing and when it gets released its going to have a massive playerbase, so im already prepared for PRO 2.0 to eventually get a C&D letter and get shut down.

Guest LiquidSnakeK

I'm not going to make any assumptions of the character of content creators for PRO or the like. But there is much more depth pertaining to the legality of this game than just " it's because it's in beta" or "it's not big enough yet". From a legal standpoint, it's very complicated. Although some will say it's quite simple. At the end of the day, if you are afraid to lose your money invested into this game due to the involuntary shut down of PROs servers, then I suggest you NOT donate any money. There's never a guarantee. Even if it's in writing. Secondly, if you are like me, and simply enjoy the game and it's content, and because of that and it's community you want to donate towards the cause, by all means do so.

There is nothing wrong with playing and donating towards a game in which you fully believe in. When it's all said and done, if you enjoy something you typically invest into it either emotionally or financially. That's just how it goes.

TL;DR: enjoy PRO and any future games of the like while they are here.

This question was asked and answered a long time ago. Couldnt find the original post but this one is pretty much the same.

https://pokemonrevolution.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106312#p106312

Basically, PRO is beta and is not "making money out of pokemon". we donate, we do not purchase.

For those of you who are worried about PRO or PRO 2 getting shut down, the same developers of PRO were responsible for another game that went by the acronyms PWO. PWO has been around for over 10 years, never leaving beta and still exists today. No need to worry really. :|

mLcUOgl - Imgur.png