Volunteer to translate the game

Hakunon

I was wondering for some time if there is some way I could get the text files of the game so I could translate the ENTIRE game to pt-br (brazillian portuguese).

I don't have much to say, I just wanna help the immense br community we have in the game, so this would bring even more players, lessen the newbies storming the all chat asking for infos and bit by bit I would send translated files so you could implement into the game.

Also I'm aware that some words require some adaptation to fit in other languages, and I'm one of the players that notice when official translators make bad adaptations and/or misinterpret sentences then end up screwing everything so I'm sure I could do a better work than then alone.

Maybe other players could even help with this if allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

This has already been suggested, and as I remember, they can't do that know because the dialogues are kinda mixed with the code and they can't give it away;

I really hope they change it someday, and I'll be happy to participate myself in translating the entire game to french (I know it is a lot of work but with a good management it can be done quickly :) )

[glow=black]A limitless gratitude[/glow]

Adding and translating other languages in game

PRO's main storyline will be kept English as the widely accepted "official" language in the game, even by bilingual players. Only minor things (menus, options, etc) will be translated; however, there is no estimated time frame for this, and it's considered very low-priority.

We've had many suggestions for community-submitted translations to be implemented. However, the community would need access to proprietary code to even think about translating parts of the dialogue, and we will never give out access to our code that way. Since that won't happen, players will just have to wait until staff is ready to start adding translations ourselves.

Another point that’s been brought up is a request for the community to be able to access dialogue scripts, rather than the actual code. However, this will still be denied. First, only a few staff members can access the code, and it takes time to collect the dialogue scripts line-by-line from the code, time that could be better utilized doing other things. Second, PRO is still in development. So instead of focusing on that priority, said staff members would need to divert time and energy away from that to collect dialogue instead, representing a waste of resources. Third, even with a community translation in place, there’s a huge amount of NPCs and story dialogue scripts in PRO that are always being edited and tweaked. Constantly having to update translations alongside these edits would represent a waste of time and resources. Finally, community translations do not guarantee quality control - staff members would need to recheck the dialogue translations after the community has submitted them (adding even more work, which is a huge burden considering the PRO staff already lacks human resources as is).

Original post here.

As mentioned above, adding translations to the main story line is not a priority right now and having community translators is even less so. All of the ingame dialogue is interlinked with the scripts so it would be impossible, or at least very time consuming, to give players every single NPC dialogue to translate without leaking the scripts. Furthermore, there are tens of thousands of NPC and tilescript dialogues ingame which would take weeks to translate and there'd be no way for staff members to check the translations for errors or inappropriate content. Adding on to that, if a player were to translate the entire game, a Content Scripter would have to go through every single NPC and change the scripts to allow for the new language which could take months. Right now, our priorities are set on creating new content and, unfortunately, game translation isn't planned. Maybe in the long long future when there's nothing left to do but I cant guarantee you that. In the meantime, if you're looking to help players who don't understand English, you could always create guides in different languages. We welcome anyone to create guides to help others. Thanks anyway for your suggestion. Have a nice day.

- Locked -

...And all will burn, beneath the shadow of my wings.

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share your questions on the forums as they could be useful to others.

Remember to use the correct forum when posting. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.