what makes a good pokemon?

Frasaria

Hello,

often i see players in chat asking to rate their pokemon, but i never really understood how this works. What makes one pidgey than the other? I understand that each pokemon has different stats that are fixed and that you can then train him yourself with the EV's.

But if i just want to get a pidgeot myself, i can easily catch several pidgeys since they are common, but then i do not know which of these pidgeys i should take to level up and set the others free. What i did until now was just try to capture the first of each new pokemon i encountered and use that, but it appears that was not the best tactic.

People have told me there is an ability and a nature. I understand that, each pokemon can have 1 of the 3 abilities, but this looks like a personal preference?

Well put.net it this way the Evs of the pokemon play a huge roll and the nature because it determines there stats and the better nature the.more u can even train that pokemon to make it stronger it also serves as a form or current currency

Kind Regards :TheOldNite

A+true+pokemon+master+doesn+t+worry+about+type+disadvantages+_08de66ed83e0793b11fbe745d038a6e2.jpg

tumblr_lwh8069DKR1r28k5co1_500.jpg

"Those whose memories fade seek to carve them in their hearts..."

"All dreams are but a reality. Never forget..."

Every pokemon has their own perks to meet within the their respective competitive aspects. Nature, IV's, EV's and movesets. Knowing what a pokemon is capable of will determine what is the maximum and minimum requirements for it. Searching the specific pokemons up will give you more insight.

spacer.png

...And all will burn, beneath the shadow of my wings.

Thank you for your replies.

So to take an example. If i have these two vulpixes:

t4BjN9L.pngp

I should be looking at the special attack values, since it is a fire pokemon that will mainly use its fire attacks. So the one on the right has higher special attack, but it is also lowered due to its nature. Additionally the two pokemons have a different nature. Flash fire seems nice, but i do not know how changing the weather in a battle helps me. So my opinion is now to try to catch another vulpix with Flash Fire and boosted special attack and relatively high speed. Is that a good assumption?

What stats / nature / ability / moveset a pokemon requires all comes down to its pvp viability. Lets take vulpix for example (i.e, ninetales.) Ninetales has only one use in competitive battling and that is it ability to summon sun light upon switching in (weather effects certain abilities of pokemon and certain moves too, its not only for ninatales that the sun light is used...) So clearly, drought is a far better ability than flash fire for tales. After that you look at stats and nature. Ninetales is a fairly fast pokemon that utilizes speed and average sp atk. It doesnt use its atk stat at all, so even if that was 0, it wouldnt matter. This also means that when selecting a nature for tale you always go with one that reduces atk in consequence. Since tales has decent spd, the preferred nature is timid, to try and maximize its spd. Modest would be a decent alternative to increase tales' damage output. If you see vulpix/tales with all these traits, you can expect it to cost a lot more than an exact same tales with flash fire instead of drought. Like wise 2 tales with exactly the same stats except different natures, say one being timid and the other calm, the timid one would be worth a lot more.

hope that helps.

mLcUOgl - Imgur.png