Competitive level balancing

Tokime

we guess we will see how it works out, maybe the discussion got too heated. however i feel like that the discussion between staff and community could be improved, i often feel like that everything that doesnt fit into the devs mind get insta denied.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it would make it a lot harder like in some other games. Given that you aren't happy with the time needed to invest to level up.

Yes, but level 50 scaling wouldn't make it SUPER easy like everyone is implying.

No I am not saying that. Lets see, 20 Pokemon. Propel level scale and Daycare services. I say one week tops.

yeah... no. You will spend at least one day on just catching a pokemon that can be viably used (and this isn't even considering those pokemon with really low encounter rates). So catching 20 competitive pokemon should take around a month to catch. Then you have to train them, and get the required moves, etc. That will take another weekish. So you are looking at over a month of constant gameplay to only get about 20 comps worth. Getting them all to level 100 would take another week-week and a half. Keep in mind, that's all boring grinding, not fun gameplay.

I do not recall saying that. No one ever said we won't have tiers. No one ever said we will only stick to simple one type of a battle.

Was more a statement directed at other people, and was more of a warning...

Explain 50 system little better to me please. As for other MMOs, My standards are saying to me that there is a barely any decent pokemon mmo outhere. There is no decent enough Pokemon mmo in my books for now. However, my game is always submitted and opened for a change on a daily basis. We shall see how it will play out eventually. But currently a leading one to be written down in my books. Don't take this as anything confusing. I simply have my own standards and I am working on things together with other staff to get it there. We could simply release the game half year ago and be in slight advantage over other mmos. However, myself and other staff do not want to a game where player effort may be gambled with in the future or massive update done that will have impact on same.

a 50 system takes all pokemon over the level of 50 and for the duration of the battle reverts their level back to 50. It allows players to more easily battle eachother. It really isn't complicated at all...

I am little confused here. Why would you be forced to do anything and especially what is stopping you from building a level 50 team? I am failing to see your point. You aren't forced to level up Pokemon to level 100 to be able to battle with others. You should be aware that people will do level battles such as level 10 battles, level 50 battles, no-evo battles and what not. No one is stopping you from doing these. As for standard over used battle you can have say level 100 tyranitar and level 1 aron and battle. It's really up to you what you will use. You battle on what you agree with your opponent. Remember, we are yet to separate the whole battle system but I am not talking about it in detail.

Nothing. and I made that point. That people will naturally just do 50s. It was a statement directed at the people who seemed to be convinced that Official tournaments and ranked battles will be level 100s. I'm not sure as to how there are going to be level 10 battles. 50 will probably be by far the most popular. 100s will only have players if they are forced to (i.e. if tournaments and such force you to have 100s)

we guess we will see how it works out, maybe the discussion got too heated. however i feel like that the discussion between staff and community could be improved, i often feel like that everything that doesnt fit into the devs mind get insta denied.

You might want to re-read my posts again. Especially ones for spawns.

As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be.

People will be able to trade. Hunting is not the only way to get certain Pokemon. Say you want to hunt for Pokemon X but you catch Pokemon Y which is collectors Pokemon. A collector may want to trade etc.

As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be.

With no breeding lvl100 may be ok for end game battling. We'll see when we get there right? With 650+ pokemon planned for release it might get bad latter on but I'm sure something will be done if that happens :)

In the expectantly large-scale playerbase, it's important to contextualize that due to the bevy of hunters that'll inevitably hunt for the statistically optimal competitive Pokemon, the ideally competitive Pokemon will be accumulated in the economy over time and thus they will be made obtainable for those who tap into the marketplace as well. Even if one is not willing to commit to the huntfest needed to obtain the the competitive Pokemon, they will be still be made eventually as marketplace hurdles will serve as a different avenue to obtaining them--for the Pokemon of a designated level range, IV permutation, Nature, and so on.

As others alluded to, however, the main differentiator between a battle-simulator and an MMO complexion is the fact that assets must be obtained through PvE (Player vs. Environment) hurdles--be it through hunting or expending the money needed to buy the enviable Pokemon--as the PvE aspect is an intricate part of any game that puts chief emphasis on the virtual world for players to progress.

I do agree that it is an onerous tedium to hunt for and obtain all the cream-of-the-crop Pokemon for the PvP culture; but MMOs entail that you not only use Pokemon effectively but also invest the effort needed to obtain them in order to succeed, and it is a growing pain that all players are subjected to and one that should be left as rewardful to those who make the effort to obtain the Pokemon needed in whichever standardly avenue possible.

Do not contact staff members for private support. Share the question on the forums due to being of use to others. Please use proper forum. Unsolicited messages will be trashed. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

This really has no negatives, and even if there is a negative you're stretching it.

1. Every pokemon mmo pretty much revolves around 50's comp battling, heck even the handhelds do mostly 50's its just more fun to go to 50, then work on the next thing.

2.As gilan said you'll need multiple of the same kind of pokemon for scouting reasons.

3. it helps the eco by a huge amount, because EV trainers and lvling people dont have to waste as much time, so they can get them lvl'd faster to 50, and then get more yen by being about to do 2 pokemon instead of 1 lvl 100.

4.its way better to do 50's because of the level grind, I understand you guys want there to be a challenge to making pokemon, but spending 3 days on just 1 pokemon isn't ok for a pokemon mmo, its different in WoW or any other mmo because you have a character to level up. and thats not even counting the time looking for the correct nature/ivs/ability, because I myself dont want to try and hunt down 2 timid natures stayu's with good iv's or any pokemon like that.

5. Or you could go the other route and make people chose what lvl tier, make like a little tap to chose when battling something, like "100s, 50's ect"

6. but the problem with that is most of the people will chose 50, because less work.

and also you guys dont have to make everything hard to obtain, I like a challenge as much as the next person, but no one should have to spend 1 week on getting the perfect pokemon, its just a turn off for people that have busy lives, and with school starting up soon for most you'll lose a lot of kids/college students that cant play aa mmo all week for the right pokemon.

hmhm my face when i notice that date posted, guess im a bit late eh?

personally i dont mind having a lvl 100 meta but it involves a huge grind when you consider there is going to be every pokemon available. in the other mmo, some players have 300+ comps and thats only from 3 generations. with all generations involved there will of course be hundreds more needed comps and levelling to 100 on each one is asking too much imo.

This really has no negatives, and even if there is a negative you're stretching it.

Is destroying an entire metagame because someone might overlevel a Pokémon really stretching it?

1. Every pokemon mmo pretty much revolves around 50's comp battling

By every you of course mean the only other relevant Pokémon MMO, correct?

heck even the handhelds do mostly 50's its just more fun to go to 50, then work on the next thing.

lmao no. Competitive Pokémon on the handhelds has always been 100s without question, the only reason it's done in 6th gen is because it's forced (And it's not like people even have to grind to 100, they just hack them in at that level).

2.As gilan said you'll need multiple of the same kind of pokemon for scouting reasons.

Nothing's stopping you from getting a second Pokémon and levelling it up to 50

3. it helps the eco by a huge amount, because EV trainers and lvling people dont have to waste as much time, so they can get them lvl'd faster to 50, and then get more yen by being about to do 2 pokemon instead of 1 lvl 100.

Wrong. Mass pumping stuff into a market only devalues it because of how common they become, and over time there will be more and they will devalue even more. I've play multiple games where an economy has taken that direction, and what happens is a neutralizing effect where everything eventually becomes next to worthless and that market crashes. No body will want to trade their comps because they don't feel the effort they put into them are worth how little they can get for them, granted it might be a while before this would happen but still. Even with all of that said, nothing's stopping you from selling 50s without this.

4.its way better to do 50's because of the level grind, I understand you guys want there to be a challenge to making pokemon, but spending 3 days on just 1 pokemon isn't ok for a pokemon mmo, its different in WoW or any other mmo because you have a character to level up. and thats not even counting the time looking for the correct nature/ivs/ability, because I myself dont want to try and hunt down 2 timid natures stayu's with good iv's or any pokemon like that.

Having the ability to get your team created so quickly completely destroys the point of there even being an endgame, and was the initial downfall of the other Pokémon MMO before they implemented breeding. If getting your team made so quickly is such an issue why are you even playing an MMO over a simulator where you can have your perfect Pokémon instantly (Not to say you still couldn't make 50s without this)?

5. Or you could go the other route and make people chose what lvl tier, make like a little tap to chose when battling something, like "100s, 50's ect"

6. but the problem with that is most of the people will chose 50, because less work.

Again nothing's stopping you from playing 50s without it. All this does is allow people to use 100s exclusive Pokémon like Tyranitar and Dragonite in 50s, making the existence of 100s irrelevant, which leads to the only competitive Pokémon being sold in the market 50s blah blah blah refer to my reply on market crashing

and also you guys dont have to make everything hard to obtain, I like a challenge as much as the next person, but no one should have to spend 1 week on getting the perfect pokemon, its just a turn off for people that have busy lives, and with school starting up soon for most you'll lose a lot of kids/college students that cant play aa mmo all week for the right pokemon.

It's an MMO, not singleplayer Pokémon with friends. Having stuff require effort to obtain is what makes the market go 'round (Not to say you still can't make 50s without this. Again).