Price and Rating Guide

Spacemuffin

As I have stated before, rarity scale is another factor that will play into the pricing scheme, for now ignore current pricing as it's not correct. The rating system is designed to measure a pokemon's rank within it's species class. For example, a 6.2 Pidgey can't be compared to a 5.4 Gyarados as they have different base stats etc. Instead, the rating system is meant for a 9.0 Ditto to be one of the highest ranked Ditto's you can get in the game.

Now, onto the rarity scale.

Using the current spawn tier list provided by Red on another post, and hopefully by receiving some server side statistics about encounter rates/capture rates of pokemon in the game, it is possible to determine each pokemon's rarity within the game. (Not how likely it will spawn, but rather how many have been seen/caught in conjunction to how many active players there are etc etc.)

@CJLJ. I don't think it's impossible to determine a base price, maybe not what the pokemon would/should be sold for, but rather the value of the pokemon that you're looking at buying/selling so that you know if it's being way overpriced or undersold etc etc. It's not meant for each pokemon to be sold dead on at the pricing, but more of a reference guide for new players to prevent them getting cheated out of what may be a truly great pokemon. All variables will be taken into account to set up a base worth system, and yes @Tnzn, it will take several hundred hours to build, which is why I've been asking for advice on how to tweak it to perfection.

@MayElesa. I hope my previous paragraphs shed some light on how rarity will be implemented into it, such factors that will be included is ability, shiny, tier list, encounter rate, capture rate etc etc. and from there it will be worked into an algorithm. As for metapod v pikachu, I don't think a perfect metapod should be priced at 0 because it's species chain includes butterfree, and even if it's not the best pokemon in the world, it's still a 1/44 billion chance of finding a perfect metapod, so the rarity of that alone has to play a part in pricing.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tnzn, it will take several hundred hours to build, which is why I've been asking for advice on how to tweak it to perfection.

From what I see now it doesn't seem to go in the right way as noone seems to have started doing any work in determining the weight of each stat depending on pokemons... People seem more interested in putting a blind price on stuff than actually working on determining a value for pokemons...

Imo if you want to do something, do it right or don't do it, we don't need an arbitrary price system based on a value that's even less accurate than people's general feelings. Your current system doesn't add any significant accuracy to what people with a little bit of common sense would get, and does even worse.

My 2 cents : if the end you want to achieve is to have a balanced economy, don't mix the steps, here you're trying to put a price on a thing you haven't even measured well... so :

1st step : Determine the COMPETITIVE VALUE OF A POKEMON(within its own species) with a decent "algorithm" that takes into account the importance of each stat for said pokemon that you have to weigh empirically.

2nd step : Once you at least have a decent measure (which you don't yet), you have to determine the value of money itself, for example by measuring how long it takes to make a certain amount of money

3rd step : compare it to the time it takes to get a Pokemon of a value > or equal to a certain number, and try to determine which amount of money equals which average time to get the pokemon of a value > or equal (you'll have to divide pokemons in rarity categories and get a measure for each i guess) counting the price in pokeballs

4th step : proceed to adjustments in order to take into account stuff like the PVP Tier of the pokemon, the rarity of the pokemon IN THE MARKET compared to other pokemons of same supposed rarity tier (how far in the game it is accessible, how many people are likely to farm and capture them) , how hard it is to just capture one of the said pokemon(thus adjusting the price of pokeballs and time taken), premium only or not, and maybe other adjustments I didn't even think of now that you could add.

If you don't agree with this I won't bother, if you do I can help you building the system but I won't code anything nor calculate anything before the end of april (the end of my exams), for now I can just help you on method.

• 2 weeks later...